Happiness is

Old October 8th 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Happiness is

On 10/8/08 9:40 AM, in article ,
"Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net wrote:

"Jinx Minx" wrote in message

"Jangchub" wrote in message

**snipped for brevity**

I am not actually sure what we're debating here. Do you support
McCaine? If it's personal, don't answer. I understand. I support
Obama and I find Sarah Palin bizarre, oddball, someone who believes
the earth is only 6,000 years old, has demons and witches exorcized
out of her in church, and based on her track record as a parent, with
a pregnant teenager, well...where is the parenting?

These assertions about Palin are just downright false fodder generated by
ignorant rumor mills. The travesty of the matter is that people read
these things, believe they're true and without investigating for
themselves perpetuate them further.

And as far as her teen daughter's pregnancy being a result of bad
parenting--well I'm just ashamed and saddened people think that way. Teen
pregnancy happens even in the best of families. I would bet there's not a
teenager on earth (in the USA, at least) that hasn't heard that they
shouldn't have sex or should use birth control if they do. Do you think
"good" kids from "good" parents don't mess around? If you do, you are
sorely out of touch with reality.

I'm not talking about her parenting, but am I mistaken when I think I
remember that she supports an abstinence only until marriage program and
doesn't teach believe in teaching birth control in school?

Obviously abstinence only doesn't necessarily work for everyone ~~~

No, actually, she supports talking about barrier methods, but thinks
abstinence is best. I think I could dig out the link again. She is
pro-life.

Old October 8th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Jinx Minx" wrote in message

"Jangchub" wrote in message

[...]

I would like to see that article. Most of what I've been reading is she
believes in teaching abstinence only in schools and that if parent's believe
in contraception they should teach it at home.

That would be a great idea if only she could get it to work.

Old October 8th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

Lucille wrote:
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

On 10/8/08 9:40 AM, in article ,
"Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net wrote:

"Jinx Minx" wrote in message
.. .

"Jangchub" wrote in message

[...]

I really don't think it is the school's job to teach these things...it
is the parents' responsibility. They know better what and when the child
needs to learn such things.

OK, I know I am old-fashioned,!

Old October 8th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Gill Murray" wrote in message

Lucille wrote:
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

On 10/8/08 9:40 AM, in article ,
"Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net wrote:

"Jinx Minx" wrote in message
. ..

"Jangchub" wrote in message

[...]

Yep, you're old fashioned. That would be ideal IF it worked.

I am totally against censorship and I don't care if TV and movies/magazines
sell sex as long as there's an on/off switch. I also agree that in an ideal
world it should be up the parent's to monitor what their kids see and hear
and what is the appropriate age to teach them. I'm also convinced that such
a perfect thing can't always work unless the kid is chained to the house.

Therefore, I really believe that we can at least try to make a difference by
making it part of a properly taught hygiene (or whatever they call it today)
class.

Old October 8th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
~Karen~

I'm not talking about her parenting, but am I mistaken when I think I
remember that she supports an abstinence only until marriage program and
doesn't teach believe in teaching birth control in school?

Obviously abstinence only doesn't necessarily work for everyone ~~~

She indeed does not support teaching birth control and indeed does not
believe in pre-marital sex. So...
Victoria

"There are known knowns. These are things we
know that we know. There are known unknowns.
That is to say, there are things that we know
we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns.
There are things we don't know we don't know."

Donald Rumsfeld

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/

Lurker jumping in here. Victoria, I believe you might have been just a
bit misled here. I found this link in a very quick Google search
http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...837538,00.html
Old October 8th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"~Karen~" wrote in message
ers2...

[...]

I believe that the jury isn't in on what FFL really thinks about birth
control. They aren't very clear on what they really stand for except for a
zero tolerance for abortion.

Old October 8th 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Gill Murray wrote:

Lucille wrote:

I would like to see that article. Most of what I've been reading is
she believes in teaching abstinence only in schools and that if
parent's believe in contraception they should teach it at home.

That would be a great idea if only she could get it to work.

I really don't think it is the school's job to teach these things...it
is the parents' responsibility. They know better what and when the child
needs to learn such things.

OK, I know I am old-fashioned,!

The problem is that parents can't teach what they don't know (and there
are some out there who don't know the real facts about such things), and
the parents who are too embarrassed to discuss it with their kids, or
who delude themselves into believing "not my little angel" right up
until angel comes home with a bun in the oven.

I know we like to convince ourselves that kids don't do it till they're
16, but my ex-boss's wife was a labor & delivery nurse and about once a
month she delivered a 9-year-old or a 10-year-old. None of whom were
named Virgin Mary.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

OCTOBER IS DISABILITY AWARENESS MONTH

Finished 10/7/08 - Sun Fun (Dimensions)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
AOL BLOGS CLOSING OCTOBER 31
Old October 8th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net wrote in message

"~Karen~" wrote in message
ers2...

[...]

She may believe in barrier birth control methods but as I said before, she
doesn't believe in teaching it in school and since all parents don't do the
right thing, I think it should be a part of the curriculum for kids (both
boys and girls) in the appropriate age groups. Her belief is that
abstinence till marriage is the only thing that should be taught in public
schools and that's not enough.

Old October 8th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Lucille wrote:
She may believe in barrier birth control methods but as I said before, she
doesn't believe in teaching it in school and since all parents don't do the
right thing, I think it should be a part of the curriculum for kids (both
boys and girls) in the appropriate age groups. Her belief is that
abstinence till marriage is the only thing that should be taught in public
schools and that's not enough.

The problem is, no matter what age group the school board decides is
"appropriate", the parents will be convinced it's too early and for some
kids it'll be too late.

A friend of Mom's was the school nurse. She stopped at our house one
day while I was in HS to ask me about boys. She was working at the
elementary school and while walking around the playground on her lunch
break, had found a couple of 8 y/o's doing it in the bushes. I
confirmed her recollection that when I was that age, boys still had
cooties and we wouldn't have even touched them on the shoulder
willingly. I couldn't have been more than 7 or 8 years older than they
were, and even I was shocked at how early they were starting.

A lot of it is, for hundreds of years we were accustomed to puberty
being age 14-15, but for whatever reason, nowadays some of them are
starting medically-defined puberty in second grade, but the thought
process hasn't caught up to the facts that some grade schoolers are
capable of getting pregnant.

Old October 8th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ruby

Lucille wrote:

I would like to see that article. Most of what I've been reading is she
believes in teaching abstinence only in schools and that if parent's believe
in contraception they should teach it at home.

That would be a great idea if only she could get it to work.

Her daughter is paying a high price for those views. Hopefully the
shotgun wedding will work out for her.
ruby