Guild Quilt - Longarm Quilt Survey

Old May 17th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

Default Guild Quilt - Longarm Quilt Survey

Our donation quilt last year was finished by a "long armed" member. We gave
her a year's free guild membership, but she traded it for booth rental at
our show.

I think people should be compensated if they do it all themselves.

Cindy

"Michele in NYC" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi!

I'm doing an informal survey:

Is it your quilt guild's practice or policy to compensate the long-arm
quilter of the annual guild raffle quilt (used for fund-raising
activity for the guild) if it's done by a member of the guild?

And, yes, I know some quilts are hand-quilted by a group. I'm talking
about an instance where the quilt is quilted by a professional, who
happens to be a member of the guild, and has an ongoing business
providing this service to other quilters, both in the guild and
outside.

Just curious.

Thanks so much for your responses.

-Michele (in NYC)

Old May 18th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michele in NYC

I agree with you Pati.

If the guild asks, then the guild should pay. Why should a business
person not be compensated just because she also pays guild dues?

Now, if the member quilter wants to give the guild a deal or offers to
do it for free....

marcella

Big wave to Marcella!!
(Are you working on any MIS quilts for A?)

So, OOC, do you ever teach a class at your guild where participants
pay a class fee? And do you get compensated at the same rate you would
if you had
20 students in a class in a quilt shop?

vbg

Me thinks not.

Now, that class can come about in 2 ways. YOU can approach the program
director with an idea for a class, or she may approach you and ask if
you would be interested in doing a class. It's understood the students
would pay a fee. Would your expectations of compensation be different
depending on the scenario? Again, it's not like this would happen
every month; we're talking a one-time thing. And, don't forget, the
fee the students would pay would go into the guild's kitty.

-Michele
(always curious)

Old May 18th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article .com,
Michele in NYC wrote:

Big wave to Marcella!!
(Are you working on any MIS quilts for A?)

Hey there!

Not currently. I need to call that girl, we haven't talked much lately.

So, OOC, do you ever teach a class at your guild where participants
pay a class fee? And do you get compensated at the same rate you would
if you had
20 students in a class in a quilt shop?

vbg

Me thinks not.

It's a tricky one. At our guild, members do pitch in a lot. So, I like
to do my share of helping too. But it's a fine line and I try to stay
off the "taken advantage of" side. I know some people feel they have
been, and I'm sure that's not a good feeling.

marcella
Old May 18th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carmaleta

On May 15, 9:49 pm, Michele in NYC wrote:
Hi!

I'm doing an informal survey:

Is it your quilt guild's practice or policy to compensate the long-arm
quilter of the annual guild raffle quilt (used for fund-raising
activity for the guild) if it's done by a member of the guild?

And, yes, I know some quilts are hand-quilted by a group. I'm talking
about an instance where the quilt is quilted by a professional, who
happens to be a member of the guild, and has an ongoing business
providing this service to other quilters, both in the guild and
outside.

Just curious.

Thanks so much for your responses.

-Michele (in NYC)

I am a LA quilter and have been for 8 years. I was asked to quilt the
guild donation quilt. I am a member of the guild. I told them I could
not quilt it without being compensated for my work. I do donate many
hours quilting donation quilts each month and feel that is my
donation. No one else would take on the quilt so I was asked to quilt
it and would be paid for my work. Well, when I finished the quilt and
presented the bill, the guild was shocked that even though I told them
I would charge that I actually did. My feeling is that most guilds
will readily pay and outsider to come and lecture, pay their expenses,
wine and dine them. The lecturer also makes money selling her patterns
and gadgets which her lecture is actually a big commercial for and she
makes money from giving classes where she sells more stuff. We pay her
to sell us stuff and guilds get upet paying a member to quilt a quilt
that they are going to make money on.

If someone volunteers that is great, but if you ask them then pay
them. They are professionals just like the lectures are.

Carmaleta