How close should I quilt?

Old May 15th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Default How close should I quilt?

Actually, the subject should be something like "do I need to quilt over
every single piece of fabric in my quilt?" - but that is too long!

I've done a quilt using that method of pieced circles that lots of
people were raving about on here 2-3 months ago, and now I am quilting it.

It has a chequerboard of squares, each with circle in it. So far I have
quilted on the diagonals of the quilt, crossing the middle of each side
of the squares, carefully missing the circles.

Thing is, the circles are novelty fabric, and I don't want to take away
from the figures by quilting over them. And at this point I _really_
don't want to mess with too much quilting customised to the novelty
fabric (all different).

I am not concerned about the batting giving up, this is already more
densely quilted than some of my earlier quilts, which have held up to
use (abuse) just fine.

So, with the pieced circles, do you think I need to quilt them?

I think it is already sturdier that appliquéd circles with the
background cut away, but less so that appliqué with the background left in.

I've also thought about just tacking randomly all over (not really all
over, obviously) with a few different fancy stitches on the SM.

But do I need to?

Thanks,
Hanne in London
Old May 15th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

I'm so glad you asked, Hanne, because I just discovered something. I'd made
a lap quilt for DH that is appliqué on one side and his favorite Nascar
driver on the other. The appliqué was quite forgotten until Yogi decided to
try a taste of frog and threw up on the quilt. (More than you wanted to
know.)
The quilt machine washed and dried beautifully. The appliqués measure
about 4" across and are not quilted. They puff up just a little bit and are
really pretty that way. IMHO Polly

Old May 15th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

It's your quilt and there are not quilt police. If you don't want to
quilt the circles, you don't have to, especially if you are not
concerned about the batting getting lumpy with use and washing.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old May 15th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Just do what you want to do, Hanne. Then, after you
bind the quilt, send it along to me and I will let you
know what I think.
PAT, your buddy in Virginia

Old May 16th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Hanne Gottliebsen wrote:
[...]

Nice try Pat! I've seen this ploy before.

John

Old May 16th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

What a great beg! WTG, Pat!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

news

Old May 16th 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

I thought it was great too. Ah me, Pat. What a fine example you set for
the rest of us. Polly

"Carolyn McCarty" wrote What a great beg! WTG, Pat!

"Pat in Virginia" wrote Just do what you want to do, Hanne. Then,

Old May 16th 07, 08:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Pat,

I am truly sorry, this quilt already has a destination - my God Daughter
to be (Christening a week on Sunday!).

Hanne in London

Old May 16th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Does it look like enough to you now? Then it's enough. Unquilted areas will
puff up a bit after washing, but you probably want the focus to be on the
circles anyway.
Roberta in D

Old May 16th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Depends on the size of the circle and the maximum spacing for quilting
your particular batting.

That said, I'd probably just quilt along the edge of each circle, or
do a machine tack in the center of each one, and call it done.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Directory will close.... AliceW Quilting 8 August 27th 06 12:56 AM
CT close to topic Polly Esther Quilting 32 March 27th 06 05:00 PM
Getting close She in PA Quilting 7 May 31st 05 07:38 PM
AD:Close To My Heart SuzaStampin Rubberstamps 0 April 22nd 04 01:31 PM
AD:Close To My Heart SuzaStampin Rubberstamps 0 April 22nd 04 01:31 PM