Mom's Last Quilt

Old May 10th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska

Default Mom's Last Quilt

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...62000453xYgDsG

Well, it had to be done. I'd always joked with Mom that she couldn't
die until this quilt was finished. She didn't keep her end of that
bargain and I inherited the quilt top. :

Originally, this was to be an entry in the Ky State Fair in 2003. But
Mom had a spell of something or other and didn't get it finished in
time to enter. She had it basted and moved it along to her apartment
in the assisted living center in Paducah. It was stored under the bed
and then she moved it to the couch. I was hopeful at that point. I
never asked her why she didn't quilt it; guess I didn't want to know
the answer.

Anyway, when she passed, I got all of her quilting things, including
the basted top. I couldn't face it right away, but finally decided it
had to be done. I seem to remember that it was eventually going to be
a gift for my Uncle Harold. His birthday is the end of July. I know
he'll appreciate it, even though it's now machine quilted, rather than
hand quilted as Mom would have done.

It's a familiar Fons and Porter pattern.

Not Mom's best work, but her last. And a family treasure.

joan

Old May 10th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Where is my hankie?? What a lovely tribute to your mother Joan. And right
here at Mother's Day too. Your Uncle Harold will be so touched and grateful
to receive it for his birthday....can you really wait that long? It's a
beautiful quilt.....in so many ways.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
ups.com...

Old May 10th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

One of the reasons so many of us quilt, is to leave a piece of us to those
we love after we have passed. Clearly your dear Mom has done that. I'm
sure Uncle Harold will love the quilt... but how will you be able to part
with it??

--
Kate in MI

Old May 10th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

ahhh, that's pretty. Good for your mom, and you, Joan.
Congrats on this one.

Sending hugs to your mom's sweet quilting & rockin' daughter.

Happy Mother's Day.

R/Sandy

On 5/10/07 11:47 AM, in article
, "joan8904 in Bellevue

Old May 10th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
pami

It's beautiful and I think YOU should keep it.....
pami

Old May 10th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
pami

I said I felt you should keep it...but rethinking....maybe the uncle should
have it. I just was thinking if something happened to the uncle you should
get it back
It is gorgeous....
Pami

Old May 10th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

That is a stunning quilt Joan.
How very courageous of you to pick it up and finish it for your Uncle,
and to fulfil your Mum's wishes.
You should be very proud that you have done thins. After such a short
time, it must have been difficult; but you managed it. Good for you,
and a big hug.
..
In message . com,
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 10th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TwinMom

It's just lovely! Truly a family heirloom. Great work from both of yur
hands! I think your mom would be proud of how the quilt passed between the
generations to get completed.
~L

Old May 10th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

That is a great story and great quilt Joan. How wonderful you could
pick up and finish for your mama. I'm sure your uncle will appreciate
it and your mama is smiling down on you both.
Hugs, Taria

Old May 10th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Wonderful quilt, wonderful story. It is fitting that
you have finished this just before mother's day. Yes,
it is a family treasure ... and I bet your family
thinks YOU are one, too. HUGS, PAT in VA

Mom's mystery quilt Terbear Quilting 5 March 23rd 06 03:23 PM
Mom's Birthday Quilt Debbi Quilting 2 January 30th 06 10:12 PM
Finished mom's memory quilt claudia Quilting 16 January 29th 06 03:03 AM
Mom's Quilt Update Debbi Quilting 0 October 11th 05 01:43 PM
Mom's lap quilt Queen of Squishies Quilting 29 January 28th 04 01:43 PM