1/2 OT - subject of use of knitting needles as weapons

Old October 19th 05, 06:34 PM
Els van Dam

Default 1/2 OT - subject of use of knitting needles as weapons

In article . com, "Susan
Carey" wrote:

DD goes to college and lives in a town where she is constantly up
against male catcalls, whistles and so on. This is as she rides her
bike or walks the three miles to campus. Her boyfriend is teaching her
boxing, she is taking Tae kwan do (SP) but I want her to carry a tiny
knitting needle as a deterent. What is the opinion of the group? Will
it fly? I know the dp 000 could do some damage to an eye, but is it
legal? I am running over there on Thursday and want to take her one or
several if you think it would stop anyone. I also suggested a circ as a
garrot, but not sure if it would work if she was attacked by one of
these bozos. They are mean and nasty folk in this town, and I do not
want her to have to deal with the situation with violence, but if
needed, want her well armed, legally.

Susan

Hello Susan

Cat calls and being really attacted are two different things.

I think it is a good idea that your daughter learns to defend herself, and
that she is taught how to do that properly. How to not attract cat
calls. I have no idea how you daugher dresses, but from what I have seen
today on campus, many girls are dressed rather skimpely. I would say
dressed to taunt and attract sexual interest from young males. It would
be a good idea for her to carry a good wistle or have a loud horn on her
bike. She should also always be aware what her escape routes are. Do
you think that she will hold her own with a set of small knitting needles
when a young male will attact her, or will she maybe make him so angry
that she is in real trouble. Violence attract violence. I am sure that
there are good guidance sources on campus to tell girls to stay one step
ahead of being attacted. Try to cycle with a friend, the buddy system is
a good one. Know where you are at all times. Have a cell phone with you
to call for help. etc etc. I would never tell my daughters to have
knitting needles with them to use as wapons, for fear that they will be
used against them. In Canada it is illegal to carry concealed wapons,
even if they are knitting needles. A catcall does not warrant a stabbed
eye. How does your daughter feel about this all and does she have any
good ideas on how to be ready if she does get attacted or get into
trouble.

Els
Old October 19th 05, 06:52 PM
MRH

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article . com, "Susan
Carey" wrote:

DD goes to college and lives in a town where she is constantly up
against male catcalls, whistles and so on. This is as she rides her
bike or walks the three miles to campus. Her boyfriend is teaching her
boxing, she is taking Tae kwan do (SP) but I want her to carry a tiny
knitting needle as a deterent. What is the opinion of the group? Will
it fly? I know the dp 000 could do some damage to an eye, but is it
legal? I am running over there on Thursday and want to take her one or
several if you think it would stop anyone. I also suggested a circ as a
garrot, but not sure if it would work if she was attacked by one of
these bozos. They are mean and nasty folk in this town, and I do not
want her to have to deal with the situation with violence, but if
needed, want her well armed, legally.

Susan

snipped

ahead of being attacted. Try to cycle with a friend, the buddy system is
a good one. Know where you are at all times. Have a cell phone with you
to call for help. etc etc. I would never tell my daughters to have
knitting needles with them to use as wapons, for fear that they will be
used against them. In Canada it is illegal to carry concealed wapons,
even if they are knitting needles.

I would not carry a knitting needle in my purse (or pocket if it is that
small). Unless you have a knitting bag with you that you could possibly be
working on, this would definitely be considered carrying a concealed
weapon... and even if she was attacked and defended herself with the needle,
things could be reversed and she could be the one charged with violence.

However, if your daughter has long fingernails there is nothing wrong with
carrying a nailfile. And she could also (if she is feeling uncomfortable
like something might possibly happen) carry her keys in a way that at least
one key is sticking out from between her fingers to use if she absolutely
has to.

For the most part though, I think the buddy system is best... my Mom used to
always say "There is safety in numbers". People (girls) are less likely to
be attacked if they have someone else with them, rather than if they are
walking through a park or by an alley by themselves.

Gemini

Old October 20th 05, 02:42 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Good Advice , Els , God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Old October 20th 05, 05:15 AM
Susan Carey

Just for the humorous record, Susie would not be caught dead with any
skin showing. She wears long sleeves all year round, no belly shows for
her, and a bathing suit at the beach is fine as long as she is covered
with towels the minute she comes from the water. She is a bit odd. I do
appreciate all the comments and the good ideas. I just want her to be
as safe as is possible without breaking the law. She and her room mate
do not have classes at the same time. The busses run irratically if at
all, so lone bike rides are pretty normal for her. It is on relatively
busy streets, but as I said, without saying so, these rednecks are
slovenly and gross. They are dirty and take pride in how they treat
their women...all bad. So I do want her to be safe from them no matter
what.

Susan

Old October 20th 05, 06:44 AM
Mystified One

"That's the man that attacked me, Officer. I can smell my cologne from
here!"
sorry, had to be said.

"Susan Carey" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. One thing, though, she lives
: in town where the rest of the poor town lives and works, while campus
: and many if not most of the students are about 3 miles away. She does
: not drive, so bicycle and walking are her modes of transportation. This
: is her decision, but the fact is, I am not always so sure of her
: decisions. I love the area where she lives, but they, she and her
: roommate, have already been accosted by locals living nearby who were
: asking for sexual favors and the like. She knew how to handle that, at
: least temporarily, but when she brings up the negative things happening
: on her way to and from school, I worry. I was thinking of the circ only
: for in her home, but it might prove a backfire as someone mentioned. We
: will be getting some pepper spray and in the mean time some nasty
: deodorant.
:
: Thanks so much for this wonderful group!
:
: Susan
:

Old October 20th 05, 09:37 PM
Els van Dam

In article .com, "Susan
Carey" wrote:

Just for the humorous record, Susie would not be caught dead with any
skin showing. She wears long sleeves all year round, no belly shows for
her, and a bathing suit at the beach is fine as long as she is covered
with towels the minute she comes from the water. She is a bit odd. I do
appreciate all the comments and the good ideas. I just want her to be
as safe as is possible without breaking the law. She and her room mate
do not have classes at the same time. The busses run irratically if at
all, so lone bike rides are pretty normal for her. It is on relatively
busy streets, but as I said, without saying so, these rednecks are
slovenly and gross. They are dirty and take pride in how they treat
their women...all bad. So I do want her to be safe from them no matter
what.

Susan

Susan, your daughter may be different, but she does not sound odd at all.
I am a very liberal woman, and talk openly about all kinds of topics, I do
think though that we have gone way over the top dressing wise. Both for
men and women and Teens. I do think that it is not a good idea to come to
classes half dressed, totally underestimating the strong sexual drives of
teenagers. Great that she is different, sounds like she thinks for
herself. She sould take a special class in self defense. I know that in
some cities, you can go to the YWCA or even ask the police if they know of
good classes being held in self defense. Often it is common sense.
Letting a friend or buddy know where you are going to be, when you leave
and plan to arrive etc. Good luck with this and certainly good that you
are thinking about it that is half of your defense allready

Els

PS I do hope that this last bad storm will not hit Florida, it sounds
very omnious when you hear what they are saying about Wilma

Els
Old October 20th 05, 09:50 PM
Liz

The Susy Lamplugh trust has some great advice on personal safety - the
website is here. This is why the trust was set up:

"In 1986 estate agent Suzy Lamplugh, a 25 year old estate agent disappeared
after she went to meet an unknown client. So far her body has not been
found. However, she has been presumed murdered and legally declared dead.
Her mother, Diana Lamplugh, believed that Suzy, like most people at that
time - and even now - was simply unaware of the possible dangers that
individuals can face in society. Together with her husband Paul, Diana
founded the Trust to highlight the risks people face and to offer advice,
action and support to minimise those risks."

It is a very useful site!

http://www.suzylamplugh.org/home/index.shtml

Hope this helps

Liz

Old October 21st 05, 12:49 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Liz"
wrote:

The Susy Lamplugh trust has some great advice on personal safety - the
website is here. This is why the trust was set up:

"In 1986 estate agent Suzy Lamplugh, a 25 year old estate agent disappeared
after she went to meet an unknown client. So far her body has not been
found. However, she has been presumed murdered and legally declared dead.
Her mother, Diana Lamplugh, believed that Suzy, like most people at that
time - and even now - was simply unaware of the possible dangers that
individuals can face in society. Together with her husband Paul, Diana
founded the Trust to highlight the risks people face and to offer advice,
action and support to minimise those risks."

It is a very useful site!

http://www.suzylamplugh.org/home/index.shtml

Hope this helps

Liz

Lucky and Good for us, the above is not the rule but the exception to the
rule. For woman the buddy system is a good one, but even so, let it be
known that violence, abductions, and murders are first and foremost a
family affair, or close friends affairs. That is so in the States as well
as in Canada.

I still want to give this question and debate a possitive swing. Lets be
allert, and educated in looking after ourselves, that will get you a long
way.

Els
Old October 21st 05, 02:48 AM
Katherine

Els van Dam wrote:
In article , "Liz"
wrote:

[...]

Hear, hear, Els!

Katherine

Old October 21st 05, 08:54 PM
Liz

Apologies if this post came accross badly - it was intended to be helpful,
in giving the name of a site that had some useful advice on personal safety.
On reading it again, I realise it could easily be misunderstood. I hope
you'll understand that it wasn't my intention to scare anyone, and I hope it
doesn't put anyone off the site!

Best wishes

Liz

"Katherine" wrote in message