gauge question

Old May 25th 05, 01:44 PM
Laura J

Default gauge question

I have a pattern which calls for a gauge of 14 sts & 21 rows = 4". I've hit
the 14 sts right on the nose but I'm only getting 18 rows for every 4".
Normally I wouldn't worry about this since most patterns call for knitting a
certain length so the row gauge doesn't matter. But this one says to knit
106 rows. It is a piece of clothing so the sizing does matter.

My question is, should I knit 106 rows or should I figure out how long that
would be in the given gauge (about 20") and knit that long (which would end
up at about 91 rows)?

To make matters even more complicated, this garment is going to be felted.
The gauge given is the unfelted gauge and the felted gauge is 19 sts & 30
rows. This seems like too much information as I'm really not sure what I'm
supposed to use it for (nor would I even know how to measure gauge once the
garment is felted since you can no longer see the stitches and rows!).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

LauraJ

Old May 25th 05, 03:04 PM
Wooly

Stitch gauge is much more important than row gauge. You can always
add rows to achieve the length you need.

When knitting with the intention of fulling the item the best thing to
do is to make a swatch and measure it, then full the swatch and
measure it again. Once you know the shrinkage as a percent you can
figure out how big to make the [whatever] so that it ends up being the
finished size you want.

On Wed, 25 May 2005 12:44:53 GMT, "Laura J" spewed forth
:

[...]

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old May 25th 05, 09:34 PM
Laura J

I was afraid you were going to say that and, unfortunately, I do not have
enough extra yarn to do a test swatch.

So, given that, if my row gauge isn't matching should I figure out how long
they mean 106 rows to mean and just knit it that long?

Thanks!

LauraJ

Old May 27th 05, 02:02 PM
Aud

"Laura J" skrev i melding
I have a pattern which calls for a gauge of 14 sts & 21 rows = 4".
I've hit the 14 sts right on the nose but I'm only getting 18 rows for
every 4". Normally I wouldn't worry about this since most patterns call
for knitting a certain length so the row gauge doesn't matter. But
this one says to knit 106 rows. It is a piece of clothing so the
sizing does matter.

My question is, should I knit 106 rows or should I figure out how long
that would be in the given gauge (about 20") and knit that long (which
would end up at about 91 rows)?

I remembered that I wondered when a pattern a claimed
for a certain number of rows.
In my case, I found out that the reason was,
that I should stop AFTER the row
which finished the"patteren" (which had 18 repeating rows).

A whole "pattern" more or less, would make a big difference,
but I found out that I was experienced enough to make
a nice finish after another row!" LOL!
I would use my common sense make it as long as you prefer, and find a
solution.
AUD ;-))

Old May 27th 05, 03:18 PM
Laura J

Thanks, Aud! This is just straight stockinette so there isn't any pattern
repeat to worry about. I think I'm going to go to 91 rows (which is what my
gauge comes out to the same length as their 106 rows) and see how I feel.
After 60 rows it is still feeling very short but I'm afraid of running out
of yarn if I do the entire 106. So we will see how it looks after another
30 rows!

LauraJ

Old May 27th 05, 04:24 PM
Aud

"Laura J" skrev i melding
Thanks, Aud! This is just straight stockinette so there isn't any
pattern repeat to worry about. I think I'm going to go to 91 rows
(which is what my gauge comes out to the same length as their 106
rows) and see how I feel. After 60 rows it is still feeling very short
but I'm afraid of running out of yarn if I do the entire 106. So we
will see how it looks after another 30 rows!

LauraJ

This sounds most sensible to me!
AUD ;-)

Old May 31st 05, 02:09 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Laura , i read this carefully , in lengthwise i would knit the LENGTH
requires not the number or rows required ,,, [ same goes for width]
Guagues are given so that One can adjust one`s work to the wanted
SIZES , not number of stiches .
mirjam

Old May 31st 05, 03:57 PM
Laura J

Thank you, Mirjam! That is exactly what I will do. Unfortunately, once I
got going on the pattern I saw that my gauge was much looser than it was in
the swatch I had made so I had to frog the whole thing. I had used 600
yards of yarn so far but at least the pattern was easy!

I appreciate your coming back and answering my question though. I will
definitely use your advice when I restart the vest.

Cheers,
LauraJ

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
[...]

Gauge: Circular vs Straight needles Gallagher Yarn 13 August 25th 04 11:56 PM
Gauge question Karen Yarn 3 November 7th 03 07:14 AM
Help! Wire gauge question Steve & Susan Wright Beads 0 September 10th 03 01:58 PM
Question on "Continental " and "English" knitting techniques SlinkyToy Yarn 19 July 17th 03 09:36 AM