ceramic bowls 'expiring'

Old May 14th 04, 05:08 AM
Kate

Default ceramic bowls 'expiring'

I have a set of 3 hand thrown red clay bowls made in 1983 that all
chipped badly within a month of each other just now. Do ceramic
vessels 'expire' or go bad somehow after a while? I used the bowls
every day for 20 years and certainly got my use out of them, but I was
puzzled that they all decided to fall apart at once.

Kate
Old May 14th 04, 05:45 PM
Charles Spitzer

"Kate " wrote in message
I have a set of 3 hand thrown red clay bowls made in 1983 that all
chipped badly within a month of each other just now. Do ceramic
vessels 'expire' or go bad somehow after a while? I used the bowls
every day for 20 years and certainly got my use out of them, but I was
puzzled that they all decided to fall apart at once.

Kate

when you bought them, did they ask you if you wanted the extended warrantee?

Old May 16th 04, 02:21 AM
A&V

Hi Kate,
similar thing happened to me, only not after 20 years of use. The set in
question was earthenware, and to cut a long story short, the moisture got
behind the glaze ( glaze slightly porous,hairline cracks or whatever..) and
they started breaking in the microwave (water in the body got to hot to fast
with no escape...)
that's the theory anyway (open to debate).
But to answer the original question... ceramic shouldn't expire... however,
between clay body, glaze and usage there might be incompatible
combinations....

Old June 2nd 04, 04:37 AM
janice.clauson

I don't think I can help except to say I have had similar problems with some
bowls I made myself. These were stoneware, fired to cone 10, glaze was
Anne's Cream with the rims dipped in tenmoku. Beautiful bowls. Came apart
in the microwave after several years of use (3 or 4).

AD: Ceramic Beads and Poly Ending Juanita Floyd Beads 0 June 5th 04 05:52 PM
Ceramic artists needed who make lamps Leontine Pottery 1 March 18th 04 08:46 PM
ceramic fibre board hank evans Pottery 5 October 8th 03 06:22 PM
Please name these old glass bowls ConTactMe Glass 8 September 29th 03 01:47 AM