Problem Solved

Old June 25th 12, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Twila P

Default Problem Solved

I'm sorry I haven't posted sooner. I have a webtv and have been having
so many problems with it but at last here I am. My thanks to all of you
for your very needed advice. I think all of you mentioned the seam
allowance and yes that WAS my problem. I am now the proud owner of a
Singer Featherweight. I've been using a $100 "special" Brother that
doesn't have a quarter inch foot or even a quarter inch mark on the
plate. So my seam allowances have been a mess and squaring things is
still a real pain for me. Anyway a friend found a Featherweight on
Craigs List for $285 and asked if I wanted her to get it for me. Did I
ever! I should have been happily sewing away on it last Tuesday however
I spent the day taking squares apart. I decided to just start all over.
New machine, clean start. Thank you all for your help/advice. I think
I'll enjoy this group.

Old June 25th 12, 05:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Atta girl, Twila. Yes you will enjoy this group. Yes you will enjoy the
Featherweight. We are so very much enjoying your tenacity. Hang in there.
We are so happy to share the journey with you. Polly

Old June 25th 12, 01:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise In Iowa

I was just wondering last night if you had resolved your problem, so
it's good to hear from you and hear about your great purchase! Those
quarter-inch seams are pesky sometimes, but I think you're now on the
right track. Come back often!

Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsidotcom

Old June 25th 12, 01:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

"Twila P"

One of the problem solvers that has been discussed on this group is a
package of 4" note pads in bright colors, with sticky on one edge of the
back. Just position one to the right of your needle at the distance you
want. Then run the cloth up next to the note pad to sew the seam you want.
You can move the note pad over when you are sewing clothes and want a wider
smooth seam. You could also tape down a couple of index cards taped
together..
Barbara in wet SC

Old June 28th 12, 06:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kim Graham[_2_]

speaking of index cards: I hand out index cards to my beginner classes. I
have them sew on a line [no thread], noting where the next line to the right
is. The lines on basic index cards are exactly 1/4" apart, so this really
helps them learn to eyeball the 1/4". If they sew off the end of the index
card, they can then align a piece of moleskin, tape or a small stack of
stickies to line up with the appropriate line of the card.

-- Pastor Kim Graham
Bridges Christian Community of Home Churches at LaRosa
THE WORD IN PATCHWORK
http://wordinpatchwork.wordpress.com

Old June 28th 12, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

That's brilliant! Is it a scant 1/4"?
Roberta in D

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 22:23:40 -0700, "Kim Graham"
wrote:

speaking of index cards: I hand out index cards to my beginner classes. I
have them sew on a line [no thread], noting where the next line to the right
is. The lines on basic index cards are exactly 1/4" apart, so this really
helps them learn to eyeball the 1/4". If they sew off the end of the index
card, they can then align a piece of moleskin, tape or a small stack of
stickies to line up with the appropriate line of the card.

-- Pastor Kim Graham
Bridges Christian Community of Home Churches at LaRosa
THE WORD IN PATCHWORK
http://wordinpatchwork.wordpress.com

om...

Old June 29th 12, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Twila P

With my new Featherweight and that great tip I'm on my way to a
beautiful scant quarter inch seam! Thank you Kim for sharing that. Now
where did I put those index cards . . .

Problem SOLVED with the 440 QE CaroleD Quilting 3 November 15th 09 06:53 PM
solved tumbler problem Susan Laity Price Quilting 8 August 30th 07 02:00 AM
Problem solved Amanda Tikkanen Yarn 19 March 22nd 06 02:14 AM
Backing problem solved! AliceW Quilting 4 January 21st 04 12:29 AM
Problem Solved! Diana Curtis Quilting 15 October 28th 03 10:54 PM