Designing a wallhanging

Old June 12th 12, 03:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Designing a wallhanging

I saw this panel and it just jumped into my arms.
http://www.azquilts.com/cgi-bin/Stor...es=0&lastmenu=
Gee, I hope that's the panel and not a list of active deceased voters in
Florida. I do NOT do wallhangings but our little foyer is just begging for
this one. You really have to put your nose up against the panel so see that
it is not 'real' stained glass stitching. The WH needs to be just a little
wider and lots longer. I'm thinking to add some unobtrusive blocks at top
and bottom; maybe in blending fabrics that are so close in color that they
don't add much action.
I'm so new to this; any thoughts? Polly

Old June 12th 12, 11:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Depending on how much longer you want it to be, I would add a rectangle
on the top and the bottom - of as close to the proportions of the
original as possible, just horizontal rather than vertical. It's pretty
close to 1:2. Try to incorporate the double outer border, into your
additions, and keep the colours as close as possible. If you could find
a stained glass type block that looks like a 'crazy quilt' block (and
I'm sure I've seen some), using very closely matched colours, that
should look just fine.
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes
I saw this panel and it just jumped into my arms.
http://www.azquilts.com/cgi-bin/Stor...58232.17768.s0
&product=Northcott_Stonehenge&productid=NOSH397 9-139&page_number1=2&keyw
ords1=stonehenge&index=97&sales=0&lastmenu=

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old June 12th 12, 01:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Oh my goodness, thank you, Pat. No block I'd thought of felt right - but
crazy patch does and I do have fabrics that will do it. I'll toy with that
idea. Polly

Old June 12th 12, 01:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise In Iowa

I love all things Stonehenge! It's such cool-looking fabric, and it
feels good in my hands.

I had seen that panel, and I truly understand what you mean about it
jumping into your arms - it's irresistible. I like Pat's ideas. My first
thought was to add a border in a solid color along each side to give you
the additional width and length and then follow up with a piano key
border in solid colors to the top and bottom to give you the extra
length you want.

Whatever you do, it'll be gorgeous.

Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsidotcom

Old June 12th 12, 02:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

'Maybe' I could do piano key. I do think it would look good but I just put
piano key border on a crib quilt and had a hard time forcing me to finish
it - golly, that does get to be ho-hum in the doing of it. Would have helped
if the tv had a good movie on.

Old June 12th 12, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 21:24:09 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:

I saw this panel and it just jumped into my arms.
http://www.azquilts.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?

cart_id=7858232.17768.s0&product=Northcott_Stonehe nge&productid=NOSH3979-139&page_number1=2&keywords1=stonehenge&index=97&s ales=0&lastmenu=
Gee, I hope that's the panel and not a list of active deceased voters in
Florida. I do NOT do wallhangings but our little foyer is just begging
for this one. You really have to put your nose up against the panel so
see that it is not 'real' stained glass stitching. The WH needs to be
just a little wider and lots longer. I'm thinking to add some
unobtrusive blocks at top and bottom; maybe in blending fabrics that are
so close in color that they don't add much action.
I'm so new to this; any thoughts? Polly

How about making a frame for it?
If you have some wood grain fabric you could do just a plain frame with
mitered corners.
If you want to do a little fancier you could do a bronze, gold, or black
colored fabric, or optimally match the framing color in the panel, and
applique a wrought metal frame. Wrought metal frames in particular tend
to come plain on the long sides and with fancy do on the short sides.
Which would work well with just a little wider and a fair bit longer.
Especially if you could get close to the darker greenish tones on the
outside edge of the panel to back the applique with.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old June 12th 12, 09:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson[_3_]

On 12/06/2012 03:24, Polly Esther wrote:
I saw this panel and it just jumped into my arms.
http://www.azquilts.com/cgi-bin/Stor...es=0&lastmenu=

Gee, I hope that's the panel and not a list of active deceased voters in
Florida. I do NOT do wallhangings but our little foyer is just begging
for this one. You really have to put your nose up against the panel so
see that it is not 'real' stained glass stitching. The WH needs to be
just a little wider and lots longer. I'm thinking to add some
unobtrusive blocks at top and bottom; maybe in blending fabrics that are
so close in color that they don't add much action.
I'm so new to this; any thoughts? Polly

I just wanted to say it looks lovely and I'm not really into "stained
glass" applique nor those colours. Quite realistic!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old June 12th 12, 09:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I expect that's why I needed to holler 'help'. Not into WH, not into
stained glass and the colors are lovely but not mine either. Thank you all;
lots to think about. Polly

"Jo Gibson"

Old June 12th 12, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Other ideas for increasing the size of this panel:

ooo - more fabric
http://tinyurl.com/6pm2ryr

look how they played w/ panels
http://jellyrolls2go.com/catalogsear.../?q=stonehenge

http://www.northcott.net/?sid=3&layo...ntent=patterns

R/Sandy

http://www.azquilts.com/cgi-bin/Stor...17768.s0&produ

Wallhanging C&S Quilting 25 January 20th 06 07:17 PM
Wallhanging is DONE! maryd Quilting 3 July 3rd 05 06:14 PM
new photos - wallhanging quilter Quilting 15 June 20th 05 12:34 AM
Sunflower wallhanging Johanna Gibson Quilting 7 May 20th 05 04:01 AM
suggestions for a wallhanging? Debi Matlack Quilting 19 March 22nd 05 08:04 AM