OT - What's Wrong With People??

Old May 18th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

Default OT - What's Wrong With People??

And therein lies the answer to the question : What's Wrong with People?

They're basically stupid.

Cindy

"Nann Hilyard" wrote in message
. ..
If a lost dog prompted this reponse, what'll you say to these?

A car pulled up to the library this week. Two little kids (4 and 5) were
let out and they came in the building. Nikki, the monitor, observed them
and thought the adults in the car were going to drive into the parking
lot.
They didn't. Nikki monitor asked the children their names and addresses.
They gave their first names and said, "We just walk until we get to the
street where we're supposed to go." Nikki called the police, though she
was
concerned that seeing a cop would alarm the kids. It didn't; they went
along with him. The officer recognized the children. A patron said
that
she's seen the kids walking all over the neighborhood. (Certainly a
DCFS--Dept of Child/Family Svces--case, for sure.)

Yesterday a father and child came into the youth services room (in our
library adult and youth are separated by a big lobby). A few minutes
later
the librarian looked up from her work when she heard the child banging on
the computer keys--not hurting anything--no dad in sight. She asked the
child where daddy was; said, "Let's go find him." The father had gone
over
to the adult side. The father said, "If he wasn't causing trouble, what's
the problem?" The librarian explained that our policy is that children
under 7 must be with a responsible person (adult or older child) at all
times. A man with the father butted in, called the librarian a racist,
and
said they'd talk to their pastor. (The libn. said the child went willing
with her to find the dad--the child might just as willing have gone with a
stranger!)

Being under the same roof is NOT the same as being WITH your child,
especially in a 30,000 square foot public building!

Nann
Official Librarian of RCTQ

"Sharon" wrote in message
ups.com...
The lady down the road who lives on the main road lost her little
Yorkie yesterday - she's 8 years old. The little squirt got out of
the house somehow. They had the whole neighbourhood looking for her,
and we all gladly did our part. However, long story short, a lady was
driving along the busy main road and spotted this dear little wet
thing standing in the middle of the road looking totally confused -
she said cars slowed down a bit but went right by the little thing.
She stopped, scooped it up and took it home, called the vet with the
number on the dog tag, and little Missy is home now, very shaken up
but home. How could anyone in their right mind just drive by a wee
pet like that? Boy I find it hard to understand people at times.
Rant over.

Sharon (N.B.)

Old May 18th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

I've slowly come to the realization that not everyone feels the same way
about pets that I do. They think we're nuts, we think there's something
missing in their character.

There isn't. It's just one of those things you either "get" or you don't.
My mom liked dogs well enough but she was absolutely crazy over babies and
little kids.

I wouldn't walk across the yard to see a new baby, but they mention puppies,
I'm there in a heartbeat.

That said - I don't think I'd bankrupt us for a pet's health issue. I take
the very best care of them that I can, but a good friend just paid over
$6,000 to get her dog's hips fixed. (Poor Leslie - going through all that!)
That dog was as miserable as anything I've ever seen. It's been a year and
the dog still limps. I don't think I'd do that. I'm not sure it improved
the dogs quality of life. It made my friend feel better.

I don't know, I grew up in the country, I KNOW where my meat comes from.
Keeps you from being very sentimental about animals, I think.

OTOH, I am absolutely crazy about my girls. DD says I let them get away
with lots more than I ever let her as far as messes go and feeding them
special treats.

So, I think there a variety of reasons why someone would not stop for a dog
in the street. I don't think they should be condemned.

Cindy

Old May 18th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

After two of us here have been bitten trying to help dogs out I don't go
too much out of my way these days. I'll call if I know where they are
from or get in touch with animal control but I avoid dogs I don't know.

So far as pet health issues you just don't realize until you have to
make such a decision. There is a limit, I have told the vet before I
have a family to feed and that is a priority.
When the vet told me Georgia needed surgery I really didn't know what
to do. I could do without enough to cover the costs and got enough info
to believe the improved quality of life at her age and with her problem
was worth the cost, pain and inconvenience. (6 weeks sitting with a dog
is a long time! ) It was a tough decision but worked out for the best.
I don't make too much in the way of judgment calls on pet owners choices
since then. I know how tough it is and every medical situation
can be different.
Taria

Old May 19th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon

On May 17, 8:10 pm, Sunny wrote:
I always stop to pick up strays if it's possible to get them into the
car without scaring them into running farther into traffic. BUT....
please be careful doing this. A woman in Phoenix who was known for
her animal rescue work lost her leg and almost her life while trying
to help a dog that was on the freeway. Although I believe all of our
animals deserve our help, same as people, I don't believe anyone
should risk their lives.

We've rescued so many dogs. I don't know why but they seem to come to
me. Weird. I always take care of them and make sure they they home or
to the animal shelter where they'll be safe. I never thought much
about what I was doing until about 6 years ago. We were in the park to
play and my son who was in 8th grade at the time, stopped playing,
begged some fried chicken from a group of picnickers and spent almost
two hours coaxing this sweet little shivering mutt into our car. He
just didn't give up. It was awesome to see him be so quiet and gentle
and caring. We took the little thing to the animal shelter -- she
didn't have any identifying jewelry.

If you practice kindness, you won't have to teach your children to be
kind. They will know it just from living with you.

Sunny

Some very interesting stories here for sure. Your last paragraph,
Sunny, just made me feel so good - glad there are people like you in
the world.

Sharon (N.B.)

They are Wrong - YES, YOU CAN! eProfiTeamLeader Quilting 19 June 4th 06 09:07 PM
something is wrong DrQuilter Quilting 4 October 29th 05 04:10 PM
People helping people this holiday season [email protected] Quilting 1 December 2nd 04 02:28 AM
People helping people this holiday season [email protected] Quilting 0 December 1st 04 03:06 PM
What am I doing wrong? Lyndy swain Rubberstamps 9 October 3rd 03 10:46 PM