English Majors only

Old October 3rd 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Default English Majors only

For English Majors only. First of all. I am NOT, no way, do not take it as
such, picking on Marilyn.

I am just trying to get my head wrapped around the correct wordage,/correct
usage of the word 'sewed' and 'sewn' in the below sentence. Past tense,
present past tense, future present past tense....see what I mean?
I won't tell you how many times I have reread it trying to make sense.
Fibro-fog does it to you.

Does the usage of 'sewed' mean: She has sewn this far and needs to go on
---or should the word 'sewn' have been used because: She DID sew that far
and no further. or is either/or correct?

One of the conundrums of Fibro--you get fixated on a sentence and can't it
forget it. This is driving me nutzo! Help. Private email is fine.
Once again...it has NOTHING to do with Marilyn. Please don't take it that
way. it has NOTHING to do with local word usage-----just me and my word
usage this AM.

Now from Marilyn:::::

So, I've done that. Decided I still needed 8 more blocks. I've got 5 of them
done, and I have sewed on 3 sides of that last border. Now I need to patch
in some batting..........Marilyn
in Alberta, Canada ..

Butterfly (off to the Dr this AM to see if I need a Med or two changed)

Old October 3rd 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

sew. P.p. sewed or sewn. The first is, perhaps contrary to general
belief, the older form and (to judge by the OED 19th-20th-c. examples) was
then slightly the commoner. But sewn has since gained on it.

[That's from Fowler's Modern English Usage.]

I'm not an English Major, didn't sleep at the Holiday Inn Express last
night. English isn't even my first language. First was Southern, learned
some 'rose garden' English from rather fierce teachers. As long as I get
the general idea of what's being said, I'm happy. I also checked with Mr.
Webster and he didn't seem to care either. Polly

"Butterflywings" wrote For English Majors only. First of all. I am NOT,

Old October 3rd 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
marigold[_2_]

Hi Butterfly

Don't change your meds on my account! LOL

No offence taken. I reread that and I see exactly what you mean. I believe I
should have said "I have sewn" in the context that I used it. Although "I
have sewed" would technically be correct cause I did "sew".... Ah heck maybe
I should have just said "I attached by sewing" LOL

Marilyn
in Alberta, Canada
not an English major by any means but I do like to play with wording.

Old October 3rd 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

I read and reread and just couldn't decide which one sounded better let
alone read better. LOL
So I thought I'd ask. Love that I used read as Read and Read
Oh, this is gonna be a fine day.

And yes, had 3 med changes, donated a pint and a half of blood and will find
out this PM if I need to change/add one more.

Butterfly (think I shall go work on the Star Afghan, up to the last 1/3 of
the top 3 rows....)

Old October 3rd 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

No wonder I couldn't decide! Either/ or would have been/ was correct

Butterfly (not as discombobbled as I thought)

Old October 4th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anastasia Luettecke[_2_]

Default OT English Majors only

Butterflywings said:

Does the usage of 'sewed' mean: She has sewn this far and needs to go on
---or should the word 'sewn' have been used because: She DID sew that far
and no further. or is either/or correct?

So I'ma chimin' in:

English major here! Masters in Composition and I'm going on for a Doctorate
in Linguistics. Here's the deal with "sewed/sewn"...

A lot of words with Germanic roots are supposed to fall into the "-ed/-ewn"
category. For example:
present tense "hew"--to "hew down a tree"
simple past "hewed"--"he hewed down that tree" (weird, I know, but correct)
participial form "hewn"--"he has hewn down that tree"

Participial forms ending in "-ewn" have rather recently come out of favor,
so either of the "-ed" or the "-ewn" form are considered correct now. The
meaning, however, depends upon the auxiliary verb placed with it:

"had sewn" - I've sewn before in the past and I'm done with it now; it has
no effect on current events.
"have/has sewn" - I've sewn before in the past, and that even is affecting
something else that's happening now. This subtle shade of different meaning
between "had" and "have/has" affects the "shall", "will", and "might"
auxiliaries below, too.

"will have sewn" - By the time something else happens in the future, the
sewing will be done.
"might have sewn" - It's a possibility that the sewing has been done in the
past.
"shall have sewn" - By the will of someone or something, the sewing is going
to be finished in the future.

English goes on, practically ad infinitum, using auxiliaries to make the
most subtle changes to the verb. We feel some need to get as precise as we
can about the timing of the verb in question. Of course, the language is
changing, and "have/has" and "had" don't always carry such exact information
anymore. But what's here is the traditional grammarian's view.

Did I muddle it up for ya, Butterfly?

Anastasia

--who's off to grade her junior high students' essays now

Old October 4th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

wow! You get an "A" in my grade book!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old October 4th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Make it easy. If it stands alone, use "sewed" -- for example, I sewed a
seam. If it has a "helping verb" (is, are, was, were, has, have, had)
use "sewn", though apparently "sewed" is also acceptable these days.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/
-----------

Old October 4th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Well, I looked at it, and in my mind "I have sewn" felt the more
correct. But if you are talking about someone else, in third person,
it becomes "she has sewed" as the more correct sounding usage.

but, as long as you get the point across, should it

Ginger in CA
who knows the conundrums of teaching English to non-native speakers

Old October 4th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

What a fascinating study, Anastasia. I'm giving you an "A" too. Polly

Butterflywings said:

[...]

Ot about ENGLISH [email protected] Needlework 0 May 5th 08 11:04 AM
English please? jk Glass 7 February 28th 04 11:43 PM
manuals in English Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 2 July 13th 03 03:43 PM