Question about Side Winder

Old September 24th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default Question about Side Winder

I know a couple people have the new(ish) bobbin winder, what do you
think of it? Does it wind tight bobbins with plenty of thread?

My new machine is a dream, but it winds bobbins really loose and as a
result, the bobbin runs out really fast. I can't put Janome bobbins on
a Pfaff bobbin winder so I'm thinking of buying a Side Winder to solve
the "problem".

Sunny
Old September 24th 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Have you asked your sewing machine dealer to show you how to adjust the
tension on the bobbin winder? That would solve the problem without an
additional purchase...

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

remove the obvious to reply
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathyapplebaum/

Old September 24th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

"Sunny" wrote in message
I know a couple people have the new(ish) bobbin winder, what do you
think of it? Does it wind tight bobbins with plenty of thread?

My new machine is a dream, but it winds bobbins really loose and as a
result, the bobbin runs out really fast. I can't put Janome bobbins on
a Pfaff bobbin winder so I'm thinking of buying a Side Winder to solve
the "problem".

Sunny,,I've no experience with them, however, there's always lots of them
for sale on the Sewit'sforsale Yahoo group. Maybe the dealer can make an
adjustment so it winds tighter?

Gen

Old September 24th 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

The list of incompatible machine bobbins is growing so check that your
Janome model works with the bobbin winder - if you decide to invest in
one. In the meantime, try putting some tension on the thread while
it is winding: I sometimes rest my finger on the winding bobbin on my
pfaff or let the thread run through your fingers on its way to the
bobbin. jennellh

Old September 25th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

I wasn't thinking bobbins for sewing machines, my mind went to the
sidewinder snake, common in the desert.

Ginger in CA

Old September 25th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

My new Bernina winds a bobbin so fast and tight that I jumped and let go
really quick the first time I tried it. So far, a tight bobbin hasn't been
a problem. So far. I wonder if there's a way to calm it down. Not a big
deal, I can always wind bobbins over on the older Bernina. I guess I just
don't like not being in control. It's sort of like my car telling me my
door is a jar. Polly

Old September 25th 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

I love my bobbin winder and the Janome bobbins work great in it. The winder
winds the bobbin much tighter then using the machine.

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old September 25th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

My new Bernina winds a bobbin so fast and tight that I jumped and let go
really quick the first time I tried it. So far, a tight bobbin hasn't been
a problem. So far. I wonder if there's a way to calm it down. Not a big
deal, I can always wind bobbins over on the older Bernina. I guess I just
don't like not being in control. It's sort of like my car telling me my
door is a jar. Polly

Polly, to slow down the bobbin winder, try moving the slider for the
sewing speed to the left. That slider determines both the stitching
speed and the bobbin-winding speed. You can always move it back to the
right after your bobbin is wound.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old September 25th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Sandy, thank you so much. I had no idea that the slider affected the speed
of the bobbin winder. I like to wind strange threads very slowly,
especially Invisifil. Polly

"Sandy" wrote