cutting mat on plywood (SQ episode 2/28/2008)

Old February 29th 08, 05:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Irrational Number

Default cutting mat on plywood (SQ episode 2/28/2008)

On Simply Quilts today (2/28/2008), Alex was
talking about pasting a cutting mat onto
plywood with rubber cement. Has anyone done
this?

I've been looking for a portable "workstation"
for my car or in a waiting room and am wondering
how this works out... (I do have a bag that I
keep everything in, just need a work "table" of
sorts.)

Thanks,
Anita
Old February 29th 08, 07:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Melanie Rimmer

Irrational Number wrote:
On Simply Quilts today (2/28/2008), Alex was
talking about pasting a cutting mat onto
plywood with rubber cement. Has anyone done
this?

I've been looking for a portable "workstation"
for my car or in a waiting room and am wondering
how this works out... (I do have a bag that I
keep everything in, just need a work "table" of
sorts.)

It sounds like a great idea. It would save all sorts of problems with
mats going wavy or bendy. You could store them in more positions. I'd
like to store mine stood on its side but it tends to sag over time, so I
have to store it flat. Glued to plywood I would stand it on end with no
worries. And you would have more freedom of surfaces to use it on. I use
mine on an extendable table, and I always have to check that I haven't
accidentally laid it across the join in the table, as it causes a
noticable "kink" through the cutting mat. If it was glued to plywood I
could lay it where I wanted.
Old February 29th 08, 09:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Melanie:
All good points. I wonder about the weight though. What other material would
serve same purpose, and be light weight?

PAT, awake too early in Virginia

Old February 29th 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Feb 29, 12:32*am, Irrational Number wrote:
On Simply Quilts today (2/28/2008), Alex was
talking about pasting a cutting mat onto
plywood with rubber cement. *Has anyone done
this?

I've been looking for a portable "workstation"
for my car or in a waiting room and am wondering
how this works out... *(I do have a bag that I
keep everything in, just need a work "table" of
sorts.)

Thanks,
Anita

I have some super spray adhesive, and a mat I never use, that was
given to me. I will try to do this today, and report back.

John
Old February 29th 08, 01:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Thanks John.
I'd love to be able to store mine on edge, too, so I'll be most
interested to see how it works.
..
In message
, John
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 29th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Irrational Number

John wrote:

On Feb 29, 12:32 am, Irrational Number wrote:

On Simply Quilts today (2/28/2008), Alex was
talking about pasting a cutting mat onto
plywood with rubber cement. Has anyone done
this?

I have some super spray adhesive, and a mat I never use, that was
given to me. I will try to do this today, and report back.

Cool! I'm eagerly awaiting your report! What
I found on the marthastewart website said was
to use 3/4" plywood. She cut her plywood down
to the exact size of the mat, but Alex Anderson
had her wood slightly larger than the mat. Both
of them put a handle on the side so it would be
portable.

-- Anita --

Old February 29th 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AliceW

On my recent flight to California, they had in-flight TV and I had my own
screen in the seat back in front of me. I was pleasantly surprised when
they showed episodes of DIY and one of them was a Simply Quilts show. How I
miss them!

--
AliceW - Royal Cybrarian
www.ourcyberfamily.us

Old February 29th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Wow! 3/4" ply?
I know 1/4" ply would probably warp, but ... ...?
Tell us which you use please, John.
..

Old February 29th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

1/4 inch plywood isn't too bad... especially if you are talking a small -
medium mat. Alex recommended contact cement. I would also add felt to the
bottom so the plywood could be used on any surface without worry of
scratching the surface you place it on.

--
Kate in MI

Old February 29th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default Storing mat cutting mat on plywood

Howdy!

I've been sliding the cutting mats in-between a large cupboard
and the wall, for years. The medium and medium-large mats are just fine,
no warping... so far. g It's a tight space, no room for the mat
to flop or fold; the mat slips behind the large cupboard (on edge)
and disappears. Now if I could just train it to wipe the dust off
the baseboard back there... . ;-)

R/Sandy

On 2/29/08 7:00 AM, in article , "Patti"
wrote:

Thanks John.
I'd love to be able to store mine on edge, too, so I'll be most
interested to see how it works.
.

In message
, John