Making Socks Fit Better

Old May 10th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Making Socks Fit Better

I just finished knitting my first pair of socks and I have to say I'm
hooked. I used the pattern from Lion Brand for the Magic Stripe yarn
and while I'm happy with the results, I'd like to learn how to "fit"
the sock better. So, I'm looking for books, websites, tips, advice,
any spare knowledge from the collective group to perfect my sock
knitting. You can see my socks he

http://photos.yahoo.com/kath_hutter

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Katherine H
Old May 10th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Katherine,

I love the colors and your scarves too. Thanks for sharing.

Hugs,

Nora who isn't a sock knitter.

Old May 10th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Swatch.

Know your measurements, or the measurements of the intended.

Don't be afraid of the math, or the knitting. It's just math, it's
just knitting. None of it is rocket science and you aren't trying to
put women on Mars. Rip and reknit as necessary.

Realize that some people have a higher instep than others and make the
flaps accordingly. If your socks ooch down in your shoes the heels
are too shallow; conversely if the socks bunch up above the heels of
your shoes the flaps are too deep. Make note and fix it on the next
pair. If you make short-row heels consider using 60% of the stitches
to make the heel instead of 50%. The sock will probably fit most
people better that way.

Know your toe: that is, the one you knit. If you typically knit this
toe, or that toe, or whatever toe, know how the shaping works and how
long it takes to accomplish. Nothing sucks worse than grafting the
toe, darning in the ends, washing the sock and THEN realizing the sock
is half an inch too short. Just try to find the end and ungraft the
toe, I dare you!

Learn how to make Elizabeth's "shaped arch".

Learn to darn. If you don't know anyone who knows how, visit a
nursing home or retirement home. If you can find a little old man who
served in WW2 (they're getting uncommon these days, I'm afraid)
chances are he'll know how to darn a sock; if his wife is there she'll
know how to darn a stocking!

On Wed, 10 May 2006 00:59:34 GMT, Katherine H
spewed forth :

I just finished knitting my first pair of socks and I have to say I'm
hooked. I used the pattern from Lion Brand for the Magic Stripe yarn
and while I'm happy with the results, I'd like to learn how to "fit"
the sock better. So, I'm looking for books, websites, tips, advice,
any spare knowledge from the collective group to perfect my sock
knitting. You can see my socks he

http://photos.yahoo.com/kath_hutter

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Katherine H

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old May 10th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article , Katherine H
wrote:

I just finished knitting my first pair of socks and I have to say I'm
hooked. I used the pattern from Lion Brand for the Magic Stripe yarn
and while I'm happy with the results, I'd like to learn how to "fit"
the sock better. So, I'm looking for books, websites, tips, advice,
any spare knowledge from the collective group to perfect my sock
knitting. You can see my socks he

http://photos.yahoo.com/kath_hutter

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Katherine H

Katherine, we were talking about that today at our Guild meeting. One of
the members, who is a great sock knitter, just started using "The Twisted
Sisters Sock Workbook" Cher uses it as well, and I have just started
reading it. In it there are some great tips on getting the sock to fit
properly

It is written by Lunne Vogel and published by Interweave Press
www.Interweave.com

Els
Old May 10th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Wooly" wrote in message

Learn to darn. If you don't know anyone who knows how, visit a
nursing home or retirement home. If you can find a little old man who
served in WW2 (they're getting uncommon these days, I'm afraid)
chances are he'll know how to darn a sock; if his wife is there she'll
know how to darn a stocking!

Heh, heh..... my first current pair that I knit a couple of years ago have
holes in the soles, and I agree with you. I couldn't throw them out. I dug
out the remainder of the yarn I made them from and darned those holes. I
still wear those socks along with all the newer ones with no holes.

I'm not in a nursing home yet, but my mom taught me to darn socks many moons
ago. I had to darn my dad's socks for her because she was working. I also
had to learn to start supper once I turned 12. ;D

Shelagh

Old May 10th 06, 10:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Katherine H wrote:
I just finished knitting my first pair of socks and I have to say I'm
hooked. I used the pattern from Lion Brand for the Magic Stripe yarn
and while I'm happy with the results, I'd like to learn how to "fit"
the sock better. So, I'm looking for books, websites, tips, advice,
any spare knowledge from the collective group to perfect my sock
knitting. You can see my socks he

http://photos.yahoo.com/kath_hutter

Very nice, Katherine. I have a pair in almost the same colours. As for
making them fit better, you need a pattern with a shaped leg, I guess. They
are more trouble to make, but many people think that they are worth it.
Patons has a book with shaped adult socks, but I am not sure of the name.

Higs,
Katherine

Old May 10th 06, 12:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Katherine H wrote:
I just finished knitting my first pair of socks and I have to say I'm
hooked. I used the pattern from Lion Brand for the Magic Stripe yarn
and while I'm happy with the results, I'd like to learn how to "fit"
the sock better. So, I'm looking for books, websites, tips, advice,
any spare knowledge from the collective group to perfect my sock
knitting. You can see my socks he

http://photos.yahoo.com/kath_hutter

Those look great to me! I've been wondering about trying the Lion
Brand Magic Stripe yarn. How was it to work with?

Leah
Old May 10th 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Thanks! These are great tips.

As for a darner, my mom learned this when she was young and she even
still has the egg to darn with so I won't have to go find a veteran.

Katherine H

--
No matter where you go, there you are.
http://katherineh.blogspot.com/