Glad I made new slipper socks!

Old March 12th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Glad I made new slipper socks!

Hi all,

This Sunday morning, I'm looking out and seeing something more and
more rare in Arizona, snow on the ground!

Phoenix got some that stuck on the ground for a while, too, but I'm in
middle to northern AZ, and we don't get snow around here like we used
to.

I'm happy, because I have new slipper socks, and I think that while
it's cold, it's beautiful outside! Icesicles on the eves, beautiful
white snow blanketing the ground, the quiet that goes with it, and if
the sun comes out, the snow will sparkle like there is silver glitter
scattered here and there.

I can wear my creations at other times when it's cold, but I
especially like to bundle up and go for walks in the snow, as we
seldom seem to have 4 complete seasons these years.

Leah
Old March 12th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I spoke to my daughter yesterday who is going to college in Prescott, AZ.
She saud they were expecting 9 inches of snow. Meanwhile my husband and I
were walking around outside in short sleeves in Pennsylvania.
I am planning to make cottage socks. The pattern is on the Lion brand site.
I bought dowels to make the knititng needles first. Finding size thirteen dp
needles is not easy. This will be my first attempt at making knitting
needles and at making socks. I am looking forward to it though.
Marilyn

Old March 12th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Leah! I didn't know that it ever snowed in Arizona! That amazes me.
My favorite tv show in the 80's was the Young Riders and they taped in
Arizona. It always looked like a giant desert to me! I'm glad you got
a chance to bundle up and frolic this year!
Pamjam

Old March 12th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Pamjam,
I live in Southeastern Pa, in Bucks County.
Marilyn
"Qintes" wrote in message
Hi Marilyn, I'm in PA too. Yesterday was wonderful. It was nice to be in
a tee shirt all day. I live just outside of Pittsburgh.
Pamjam

Old March 12th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Very glad to hear of other people making their own needles.

I bought some of that thick and quick yarn and made some of those socks. (It
was October and Xmas was coming.) It was so fast, it was like magic! After
I wore a pair for a few hours, all but one got frogged and reknit on smaller
needles. That last sock has a tag on it and is sitting in my swatch drawer
as reminder. Nothing against the yarn, I just like a tighter fabric for
socks.

It is a very good first sock, and homemade wooden needles have a minimal
tendency to fall out, which makes learning MUCH easier. Just understand
that the FO is going to look a bit 'homemade." But, socks wear out, so we
knit a lot of them and with practice become better knitters.

Also, short needles ~ 6 inches long are easier and faster to work with than
the commoner 7-1/2" length DPN.

When you are ready to go faster, varnish your wooden DPN and polish to a
high gloss with super fine steel wool and furniture wax.

Aaron

Old March 13th 06, 12:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On 12 Mar 2006 08:37:34 -0800, "
wrote:

Hi Marie

Hi Leah- I live in Peoria just west of Phoenix, It sure was cold
yesterday! I saw that there were heavy snow warnings on t.v. for the
greater Phoenix area LOL. We got a lot of rain and some flooding and
in the middle of it all, my son broke the key in the car door and we
had to stand in the freezing rain for over an hour for the locksmith!
(He did this to the other door, -same car- recently and *forgot* to get
the spare key made Friday like I TOLD him to). On my way to rescue
him, I had to drive through some pretty deep flooding....but we sure
needed the rain, it's been 144 days without. Scottsdale got several
inches of snow and I heard up north, I think it was Page that got 48
inches in those 24 hours. Unbelievable!

We had the same severe winter storm warnings in the Prescott area
where I live, but didn't get too much. It was light snow most of
Friday, but the sun would come out and melt it, and then Saturday
morning we had a couple inches on the ground, maybe 3-4 inches in
places. Not nearly as much as we hoped to get because we definitely
can use the moisture! Sunday started out cold and the clouds looked
promising, but it fizzled by 11 AM, and by the afternoon, it had
almost all melted.

However, since it cleared up and the wind was blowing, it was cold by
4 P.M., and we started our fire in our wood stove for the evening at
that time, and had to cut extra wood to make sure we'd have enough for
this morning's burn, since we turn off the heater as soon as we get up
because of how high they've jacked up prices on gas.

Leah
Old March 13th 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:11:28 -0500, "Marilyn" fcorliss at comcast dot
net wrote:

Hi Marilyn,

I spoke to my daughter yesterday who is going to college in Prescott, AZ.
She saud they were expecting 9 inches of snow. Meanwhile my husband and I
were walking around outside in short sleeves in Pennsylvania.
I am planning to make cottage socks. The pattern is on the Lion brand site.
I bought dowels to make the knititng needles first. Finding size thirteen dp
needles is not easy. This will be my first attempt at making knitting
needles and at making socks. I am looking forward to it though.

You have me wondering if she's going to Prescott College or Yavapai?
You don't need to answer, just got me curious. We were hoping for up
to 9 inches, but only got about 3-4. Last week, we were in shorts and
sandals, because it was 60 degrees, and this week we are back in
winter coats and boots LOL!

I've seen the cottage socks on the LB site and thought about trying
their pattern, but I'd rather use 2 strands of worsted than having to
buy super bulky to make my slipper socks, plus I wanted to crochet
them, as it goes faster for me than knitting. I love to knit, but
when I want to wear it SOON, that means crochet, and a toe blew out on
my old pair without warning.

Leah
Old March 13th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Thank you, Pamjam, I was going to say the same thing... but I figured people
always make assumptions about it ALWAYS snowing in Canada, so I didn't want
to be guilty of thinking the opposite of Arizona. At least now I know I'm
not alone in thinking that. LOL

Gemini

Old March 13th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Leah, reading your message has me smiling very widely! It is so nice to
hear someone who can find the beauty in snow, like I do. ;o)

This isn't snow... but one morning last week one section of road I was
driving on had what looked like a thick cloud of fog hanging over it. As I
drove into it and looked around I could see that it was a heavy hoar frost
which was layering itself thickly all over the trees, bushes, weeds and
fences along the fields. It was sooo pretty, I really wish I had my camera
with me! The strange thing was, that it was just on that section of road,
nowhere else.

I also love it when we have ice-storms! Although they are trecherous to
drive in, everything is covered in very thick ice, and when the sun comes
out the ice shines and shimmers like diamonds everywhere you look.

Even though we *really* didn't get very much snow (well, we got a lot WHEN
it snowed, but it didn't snow as often as other winters) I still hear people
b*tching about how they hope the snow is gone for the year now, and they are
looking forward to summer. Yep, so they can complain about the heat then.
LOL

I love all four of the seasons, and can find something wonderful and
beautiful about each of them. Not too wild about rain when it goes on and
on for days on end... but a shower once in a while is nice to refresh
everything, and then the sun always looks brighter and more welcoming when
it makes it's next appearance. )

Gemini

Old March 13th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:24:46 GMT, Qintes wrote:

Hi Leah! I didn't know that it ever snowed in Arizona! That amazes me.
My favorite tv show in the 80's was the Young Riders and they taped in
Arizona. It always looked like a giant desert to me! I'm glad you got
a chance to bundle up and frolic this year!

Hi Pamjam

Yes, we have desert, and there are actually 2 kinds, low desert, like
you see around Phoenix, and high desert, like around Monument Valley,
the Petrified Forest, and the Painted Desert areas. In between are
the mountains. Prescott, which is between Phoenix and Flagstaff (a
town on a major cross-country highway) is in the forested mountains,
as is Flagstaff. Prescott is called "The Mile High City", because we
are at 5,000 feet elevation. I think Flag ranges between 6-7,000, but
don't quote me on it. There is actually skiing around Flagstaff when
there's enough snow.

Anyway, Prescott forest has one of the largest stands of Ponderosa
Pines in the world. It also hosts several species of oak and juniper
and probably other trees, but those are the main ones around here.

It used to snow a lot more around here, and I still have a B&W picture
I took April 2, 1981 after we got 2 feet of snow on April 1!

Sheesh, the net search I did has turned up only lousy pictures of
Thumb Butte, and the flash on my digital camera reflects off it and
ruins the image, so I can't post a copy of my picture on my site. I
so need a scanner!

Leah

Made slipper socks last night Leah Yarn 3 March 8th 06 08:18 PM
LOL! made an extra present! Aud Yarn 7 December 20th 04 04:47 PM
About socks Beinchat Yarn 14 June 1st 04 03:08 PM