Quilt University

Old January 30th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Quilt University

I'm looking at signing up for a course....

has anybody here done one?

Can you tell me how they work? Do you have to log on at a specific time or anytime that works for
you?

I'm totally clueless..... so please clue me in!

Kate in MI

Old January 30th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I've done several.

You are given a password to log in to your chosen class. They give the
date and time each lesson is posted. You can log in to the class
anytime after that. Usually each lesson is up for a couple of weeks.
There is also a discussion board just for your class and you can
continue to post and the instructor continues to read and respond for a
couple of weeks after the last lesson is posted. There is also a
gallery for each class so students can post pictures of their progress
and the instructor can post samples etc.

If you learn well by reading (as opposed to seeing someone demo in
person) you will likely enjoy it. If you are like my friend who insists
every printed pattern must have a mistake then you will likely be
equally frustrated with on-line classes.

I've only taken one class there than I regretted. There is a place to
evaluate the teacher and as she is no longer teaching there I suspect I
was not the only disappointed student.

marcella

Old January 30th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My neighbor took the Marilyn Belfour (sp?) portrait class last winter and
loved it. She was able to produce a portrit quilt of her husband that was
almost uncanny in it's resemblance. I'm going to take the same class
starting Feb 18.

Becky

was an

Old January 30th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I have taken several classes at QU, and only been disappointed twice. Once
was for a class on Machine Quilting, and I really need to *see* that, not
just read about techniques. The other one - I didn't read the description
well enough, and I was unable to do the work needed, due to injury.

I'm currently in Myrna Geisbrecht's class Self Expressions, and I'm having a
ball! The lessons are well written, the discussion forum is active. Myrna
checks the forum at least once a day, usually more, so if you have a
question, she can answer quickly.

The lessons are posted once a week (this one is on Saturdays, for 4 weeks)
then they stay open for 2 weeks after the final lesson. Read the lesson on
your own schedule, do the work on your own... some people in this class do
things right away, some have had restrictions on their time, so they are
moving at a slower pace. You can print out the lessons to read/refer to
later. You have access to the lessons online anytime, same with the
discussion forum and the gallery of student-submitted work.

There is a sample class for free you can take, to see if you like it. Have
fun!

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

Old January 31st 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

frood wrote:

There is a sample class for free you can take, to see if you like it. Have
fun!

Well, that answered what my question was going to be.

Tricia