OT - Homework in PE

Old September 23rd 03, 07:44 PM
Cindy S.

Default OT - Homework in PE

Guess I will put in my 2 cents. I always loved PE classes. In elem. school
I was always the tallest girl and didn't have any problem playing sports or
whatever. Could climb the ropes, softball throw whatever. Ran track in jr.
high. By the time high school came I just didn't think it was cool anymore
to be so athletic. Hung out with the wrong crowd. Only PE I hated was my
sophmore year when I had to annouce to her that I was pregnant. She told me
to get a list of exercises from my doctor and she would pass me.

Well, needless to say I did and she didn't. Gave me a big fat F.

Only had to go to school my senior year for 1/2 credit but decided to go the
entire year.

Cindy from MO

Old September 24th 03, 01:10 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:44:14 -0500, "Cindy S."
wrote:

Guess I will put in my 2 cents. I always loved PE classes. In elem. school
I was always the tallest girl and didn't have any problem playing sports or
whatever. Could climb the ropes, softball throw whatever. Ran track in jr.
high. By the time high school came I just didn't think it was cool anymore
to be so athletic. Hung out with the wrong crowd. Only PE I hated was my
sophmore year when I had to annouce to her that I was pregnant. She told me
to get a list of exercises from my doctor and she would pass me.

Well, needless to say I did and she didn't. Gave me a big fat F.

Only had to go to school my senior year for 1/2 credit but decided to go the
entire year.

Cindy from MO

I wasn't tall - my mum, my sisters and all my female relatives are
5'3" tall. I'm a giant at 5'5".
I learnt to be quick and not mind getting dirty. Perhaps I didn't
mind sport because I was such a tomboy. I always envied the girls who
were tall (I was the tallest girl in 6th grade only because I grew so
early and so quickly - the boys of course grew taller than me in
middle school) but I knew that was never going to happen so got used
to making 3-point shots in basketball, etc...
I wish teachers wouldn't make sport so competitive. Don't get me
wrong, I can compete with the best of them and played ice hockey after
all. But I remember many enjoyable games of kickball on the playing
fields when I was 10 or 11 with my class and it was all in good fun -
I don't remember that score was kept, we just played until the recess
was over.
Maybe if there more group activities where size and speed weren't
such a big deal, and score didn't matter, for young children - more
people would enjoy sports?

-- Jo in Scotland
Old September 25th 03, 12:00 AM
Julia Altshuler

You ask the million dollar question. Assuming physical education
teachers want to give children exercise for the present and encourage
them to be life-long exercisers for the future, what's the best way to
go about it? That's got to be the question for every class. For
another example, if schools were great at teaching reading, and every
student did exceptionally well in every reading test, BUT every student
graduated from school hating to read and never wanting to do it again,
is the school accomplishing its mission? I'd say no. I'd rather kids
who aren't as profficient but who love to learn.

I've asked myself over and over if better experiences in PE class in
school could have turned me into someone who loves to exercise now. I'm
not sure. As it is, I've never minded a bit of generalized running,
biking or swimming. I've never liked any team sport, anything requiring
points or a ball, anything regimented. Jazzercise class and I get along
better than most exercise plans, and I can't say that I love that. I
can't say that that's the fault of my early experiences with PE.

--Lia

Old September 25th 03, 03:19 AM
Shelly

I never did mind the occasional game of volley ball, kick ball or softball.
We were taught these games and were tested on the rules. I hated the
testing. We were also made to learn ballet in PE by someone that couldn't
properly pronounce the terms correctly and had to make up our own dance
routine. I hated it. In junior high, we were made to RUN the length of the
world. Started at the beginning of the school year and by the end, everyone
in PE had ran around the whole world once. They would make us run laps
around and around the gym and I purely hated it. This running was naturally,
after the sadistic gym teacher had tried to kill you with tortuous
exercises. No matter how hard you were breathing, how bad that stitch in
your side hurt, or how hot you were, you'd better keep running or there
would be 10-15 more laps around the gym.
I love the outdoors, but hated having to go back to class hot and sweaty
(absolutely no air conditioning then) and sometimes even dirty,( just
depending on whether or not you'd taken a spill while playing ball or
whatever.)
I finally got into band to avoid being tortured and loved it. Band replaced
PE, so that's where I was the remainder of school. Our band instructor was
another pill altogether. Instead of a paddle, he'd tear our butts OFF (not
up but OFF) with a hand full of drum sticks. lol OUCH! No matter, there was
never once a parent that came to the school because of him doing this. We
all loved him and WOULD sorely try his patience and his ears. We'd make him
cuss at times and we'd snicker. lol We were the only marching Jr. high
school band anywhere around and we'd compete and bring home lots of trophies
for our school. This was all because we loved this man as a teacher. You can
ask anyone today about him and they'll tell you something amusing about him
but always will remember those hand full of drum sticks that he'd "borrow".
lol
Shelly
"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message

[...]

---

Old September 25th 03, 11:28 AM
Kate Dicey

Julia Altshuler wrote:

[...]

I was lucky to have some excellent PE experiences at school, and even
played hockey for my school at one time. HOWEVER, as an adult, exercise
and I do NOT get along! I will walk, and enjoy it (and miss it on the
days I miss the walking), and I will swim if the pool and the changing
facilities are nice, but other than that - forget it!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 27th 03, 03:27 AM
Nell Reynolds

My granddaughters have played soccer since they grew tall enough not to trip
on the smallest size of uniform shorts. Parents paid the $50 or so to sign
them up -- it covered the team shorts and t-shirt, fees to reserve the
fields, insurance, and whatever else came up.
The littlest ones, 4-5 years old, had to be lined up on the field by the
field by the ref, and told which way to run. My DS said it was like the ref
was playing foosball but without the sticks. No scores were kept until
about age 9 or 10 -- it was just playing for fun. They played 5-minute
quarters, with multiple timeouts, so a game could take most of an hour.
Everybody, parents for both teams, cheered whenever the ball went into the
net, no matter which side. Many of the smallest ones kept looking at their
parents, who waved them on, yelling, "Run that way! Don't stop! Run!
Yeahhh!!!"
Those games were much more fun for participants and supporters than the
bloodthirsty games played by the older kids.

Nell in Austin