Is everybody ready for Christmas?

Old December 22nd 03, 05:34 PM

just noticed this posted under my SO's email address and not mine. Should
be correct now...

Karen

wrote in message
.com...
Considering that my family Christmas celebration was this past Saturday, I
guess I'm done. We still have a small family dinner to attend but
everything else is complete. My SO's children (2 boys) are going with

their
mom to PA on the 23rd for a week so we had to have our Christmas

celebration
early. My SO is going to be working the entire holiday so I'll be home
alone. This is the first year I've ever celebrated it early and find it
quite depressing. I'm a teacher and our winter break started Friday
afternoon so I'll have the next two weeks to stitch and goof off. Maybe I
should just start on next year's ornaments....

Karen M in North Carolina

"Linda D." wrote in message
Hi everyone,

Just wondered how everyone is doing with handmade Christmas
gifts this year? Are any of you still going to be stitching Christmas
Eve?

I've done better than in past years. I only have 3 ornaments
to finish up and should be able to get them done between now and
Christmas Eve day

take care, Linda
Vancouver Island, bc.ca (remove 'nospam' to reply)
See samples of my work at: www.members.shaw.ca/deugau

Old December 22nd 03, 05:59 PM
Tamara

I'll be the one stitching on Christmas Eve. In a moment of insanity two
weeks ago I bought a pattern for the map of Warwickshire from Heritage to
make for my British neighbor. It looked easy enough, a few small buildings
and some backstitched town names. Unfortunately, I forgot how crazed
Heritage is in their patterns - up one over two - up two over one and all
the town names are over one. So I've been stitching day and night and I'm
down to backstitching three buildings and doing the compass in the corner.
I have things to do for the next two days, so there is a very real
possibility that it will be tossed in a box with a promise to frame after
Christmas.

--
Tamara in sunny San Diego

Old December 22nd 03, 06:24 PM
Barbara Hass

Linda D. wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just wondered how everyone is doing with handmade Christmas
gifts this year? Are any of you still going to be stitching Christmas
Eve?

Sigh. I gave up on the thought of xs gifts years ago. I'm just too
slow. If I happen to be working on something that times out just right
for Christmas, great, but I don't plan that way. So this year I decided
to use my new "instant gratification" hobby (rubber stamping) to make
note card sets for everybody. Well, that didn't get done either. Sigh.

BUT...my handmade Christmas cards are almost done! I started them 2
weekends ago - bonding time with DMIL, who wanted a break from her
kitchen remodeling project and other household business. The cards will
be received post-Christmas but pre-New Year's. Does that count? :-)

Barbara

Old December 22nd 03, 06:58 PM
gdmack

"Linda D." wrote in message
Hi everyone,

Just wondered how everyone is doing with handmade Christmas
gifts this year? Are any of you still going to be stitching Christmas
Eve?

snipped

The girls and I are having a quiet Christmas this year, the DH is on
temporary duty in the UAE...
not due back till mid-March...will have plenty of time to get him something
after Christmas..
working on a model for Dimensions and some doll clothes and Beanie Baby
sweaters for some of the
critters my 7-yr old has...getting a lot of stitching done, not a lot of
housework! :-)

Donna in SC

--
Knit? Crochet? Sew?
Help support our troops!

Old December 22nd 03, 07:06 PM
Ellice

On 12/22/03 1:24 PM,"Barbara Hass" posted:

BUT...my handmade Christmas cards are almost done! I started them 2
weekends ago - bonding time with DMIL, who wanted a break from her
kitchen remodeling project and other household business. The cards will
be received post-Christmas but pre-New Year's. Does that count? :-)

Sounds great to me! You actually made Cards, and are getting them out in the
same year. We always do holiday cards - so I feel fine in the Chanukah-New
Year's span for mailing.

I admire your doing this. I don't even like to think about the year I did
personal watercolor cards - the only thing that didn't take forever - I also
did little gift tags - those were quick!

ellice

Old December 22nd 03, 07:16 PM
Karen C - California

In article ,
writes:

My SO is going to be working the entire holiday so I'll be home
alone. This is the first year I've ever celebrated it early and find it
quite depressing.

XH regularly worked on both Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I'm experienced at
"home alone".

First helpful hint: If you're planning to order pizza/Chinese, do it on the
24th. There is absolutely no place open on the 25th. Stash it in the fridge
overnight and reheat for Christmas dinner.

Alternately, get one of the expensive frozen entrees (splurge! It's a
holiday.) and some fancy dessert. If there's something you like and SO
doesn't, this is your chance to pig out on it.

Find some good Christmas music on the radio (try NPR) or the internet (KXPR
webcasts, and will be having holiday specials all day) or good programming on
TV (try HGTV), and curl up with your stitching and piles of cookies, candy,
etc. Any food you eat on Christmas has no calories. Plan on getting lots and
lots of stitching done, because you will have no interruptions!

Ask your far-flung family when they plan to eat. Call an hour before (to talk
to everyone but the cook) or an hour after. If they have a phone with speaker
option (my cordless has a speaker in the base unit), ask them to put that phone
in the living room and call you so you can hear the squeals of presents being
opened. I catch up with Mom just before they're on their way to Bob's.
Sometimes they call me from Bob's and pass the phone around. Other times, they
call me after they get home and tell me about their day.

My phone number is on my webpage. If you get terribly lonely, pick up the
phone and call me. The same goes for any of you other lovelies who may be home
alone on the holiday.

The Other Karen

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands (2d

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old December 22nd 03, 08:13 PM
Joan Erickson

Barbara Hass wrote:

The cards will be received post-Christmas but pre-New Year's.
Does that count? :-)

I sure hope so! I just did my letter this morning and hope to get them
addressed tonight and out tomorrow.
I did get all my Christmas goodies done, though, thanks to DD and her
Girl Scout troop's bake sale. Baked/cooked all last week. We had 54
plates (16 pieces each) and 3 platters to sell. Sold all but 18 plates,
which we split between the 3 girls and got to take home! )) We'll
have fudge, white, strawberry and orange divinity, toffee bars,
rosettes, and some pumpkin fudge I made yesterday. MMMMmmmmm!
Just a few minor gifts left to get. I hope.
--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old December 22nd 03, 08:39 PM
Linda D.

You are truly an angel Victoria. What a wonderful gift!

take care, Linda

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:18:40 GMT, animaux
wrote:

I'm giving Celtic Christmas to a neighbors mother. She is the grandmother to my
neighbors' son who has cerebral palsy (sp?) and this grandmother gives respite
to my neighbor all summer and for about 8 weeks during the year at different
times. She came over and loved Celtic Christmas. So, it's hers.

Other than that, I'm done.

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 03:46:45 GMT, (Linda D.) opined:

Old December 22nd 03, 10:36 PM
Mmeindia

I gave up on the ornaments I was doing (only got two done, I have two DDs so I
may put them up for them), which is a shame because I can't find any of my
regular Christmas ornaments and had to run out and buy stuff today.

I am working on Leisure Arts' American Sampler and would like to give it to my
parents, who just redid their family room, in which it will go splendidly. If
I had nothing else to do, I could probably finish it by Thurs., but that's a
joke under the circumstances. I may wrap it, unfinished, in its Q-snaps, just
to show it to them.

India

WIPs:

1. Leisure Arts American Sampler
2. ?
3. ?

Old December 23rd 03, 01:04 AM
KDLark

Just wondered how everyone is doing with handmade Christmas
gifts this year? Are any of you still going to be stitching Christmas
Eve?

In July, we moved into an apartment because we'd sold our house and were
building a new one. I finished a small picture of a Corgi and started a
Prairie Schooler project (one of the Summer Samplers). When school let out for
Christmas break, I was only halfway finished with the sampler. I am so
disgusted! For the first time in years, I have made NO ornaments. Nada. Zip.

But we're in the house now, so that's good. What's funny is that before I moved
in I had all these plans about the rooms and what would "go" where and what I
would make in the future for them -- I had even stitched two "fruit crate
label" pictures for the dining room. Well, I took those two pictures into the
dining room -- and it wasn't their place. They just didn't work there. So I
took them back into the kitchen and hung them over the stove. Perfect. Then I
bought out some samplers that I thought I'd use in the bedroom, and they told
me very plainly that THEY wanted to be in the dining room. It is a beautiful
room -- but not at all what I envisioned it as. One of the first things I hung
in the new house was Mirabilia's "Gathering Eggs." The master bath has a
(fake) green marble counter top, and with its purple mat and rustic white frame
against a pale yellow wall, she's perfect. My husband didn't even say a word.
He knows that piece belongs there.

My plan with the Prairie Schooler sampler is to do the Winter (with a change of
colors) and Spring to go with the Fall and Summer ones, use them as quilt
blocks for a wall hanging, and put it over the bed. Unless they tell me
otherwise, of course.

Please tell me I'm not the only one whose work has a mind of its own!

Katrina L.