A new approach to tumbling blocks

Old February 28th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Vickie Y

Default A new approach to tumbling blocks

Way to go, John! "Never Say Never" sure is your motto! BG I like how you
come up with new ways to do things "they" say have to be done just a certain
way.
Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt in a few days! lol

Vickie in Cleveland

Old February 28th 08, 07:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_2_]

"John" wrote in message

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635qXHzbG

I can't get there. I keep gettting some kind of error. :*(

Old February 28th 08, 07:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I have done several really tiny ones, because I love the pattern. I did
them by hand, though. However, there always seem to be little 'bits of
stitches' showing along the seams, whichever way it is done. So, as you
say you are going to do SITD quilting, can I pass on to you what I
discovered: I also did SITD, but not with a straight stitch! I used a
very tiny zig-zag (the smallest my machine will allow me to do) and
variegated thread. The joining bits disappeared, and the whole thing
looked sparkly and very pretty. Do try it on your sample and see if you
like it.
Or, you could use a thicker thread, like a top-stitching thread, with a
straight stitch.

In message
, John
writes

I know about he stitch length. This was just a test series to see of I
could do it. The color of the thread is natural, which is what I use
for most piecing, I just pressed these open really flat and with a lot
of heat so they are still cooling down from the pressing and have not
come back to their natural lay. I think the stitch length is about
2.40 or so. it is hard to tell on the mechanical slide on the 1008,
but they are short. When they are stitched in the ditch, they will
likely disappear.

John

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 28th 08, 08:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

I can attest to the beauty of the technique Patti uses! Her
miniature quilts are gorgeous.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

"Patti" wrote in message
news :I have done several really tiny ones, because I love the
pattern. I did
: them by hand, though. However, there always seem to be
little 'bits of
: stitches' showing along the seams, whichever way it is
done. So, as you
: say you are going to do SITD quilting, can I pass on to
you what I
: discovered: I also did SITD, but not with a straight
stitch! I used a
: very tiny zig-zag (the smallest my machine will allow me
to do) and
: variegated thread. The joining bits disappeared, and the
whole thing
: looked sparkly and very pretty. Do try it on your sample
and see if you
: like it.
: Or, you could use a thicker thread, like a top-stitching
thread, with a
: straight stitch.
:
: In message
:
,
John
: writes
:
: I know about he stitch length. This was just a test
series to see of I
: could do it. The color of the thread is natural, which is
what I use
: for most piecing, I just pressed these open really flat
and with a lot
: of heat so they are still cooling down from the pressing
and have not
: come back to their natural lay. I think the stitch length
is about
: 2.40 or so. it is hard to tell on the mechanical slide on
the 1008,
: but they are short. When they are stitched in the ditch,
they will
: likely disappear.
:
: John
:
: --
: Best Regards
: pat on the hill

Old February 28th 08, 12:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

John wrote:
On Feb 27, 10:04 pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
I played with Tumbling Blocks for a few days, John and decided that they
weren't for me. They ended up in the trash; no temper fit or anything. I
just didn't enjoy the doing of it. If you would consider suggestions from a
confessed failure, I think you might want to set your stitch length a little
shorter, consider using a darker thread (perhaps gray) and see what happens
if you press your seams open. Don't know if any of these ideas will be
worth a hoot to you; just wanted to help you succeed where I shamelessly
abandoned ship. Polly

I know about he stitch length. This was just a test series to see of I
could do it. The color of the thread is natural, which is what I use
for most piecing, I just pressed these open really flat and with a lot
of heat so they are still cooling down from the pressing and have not
come back to their natural lay. I think the stitch length is about
2.40 or so. it is hard to tell on the mechanical slide on the 1008,
but they are short. When they are stitched in the ditch, they will
likely disappear.

John

Keep in mind that if you stitch in the ditch of a seam that has been
pressed open, you just stitching over the sewing thread in the seam. It
seems to me that that would not be as strong as when you have pressed
the seam to one side and are actually stitching on the fabric on one
side of the seam.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/
-----------

Old February 28th 08, 12:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Feb 28, 7:21*am, Julia in MN jaccola-AT-chartermi-
wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

I misstated that part about pressing the seam open. I was trying to
stress the fact about really pressing the seams flat with a very hot
dry iron. What I should have said is, all seems are pressed to the
darker color side so as to not show any dark color through. I use that
method for all of the quilts I have done. I don't press open any
seams.

John

John
Old February 28th 08, 12:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Feb 28, 2:43*am, Patti wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the idea, about the zig-zag. I will give it a try if I find
that the way I usually do it is not working. I honestly have not found
the color of the thread showing through on any of the things I have
done yet. I try to stay very accurately in the ditch so as to cover
any offending show through thread that might rear it's ugly head.

John
Old February 28th 08, 01:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Feb 28, 2:43*am, Patti wrote:
I have done several really tiny ones, because I love the pattern. *I did
them by hand, though. *e

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

I have a 60 degree diamond template with a lot of different
measurement marks and the smallest one produces a 1" finished diamond.
How small do you finish your diamonds out too, when sewn together? I
would think that would be almost impossible to work with under a
pressure foot. That probably lends itself to the hand sewing method. I
used to do needlepoint miniature oriental rugs, for some doll houses I
built, with 28 count mesh, and just about went bonkers doing that
stuff. I finally had to give it up as the old eyes wouldn't focus that
small for any extended length of time, and I hated to use a large
magnifying glass on a stand in front of the work. I did love the
result when I finally muddled through it, though. There is something
about miniaturization that is fascinating. It probably explains the
model electric train hobby. Which is the male equivalent, of
miniaturization. You can create these fantasy environments that you
control. That sense of control is something that is disappearing from
modern life, which probably explains it's popularity. I had a
relative, who had his whole basement devoted to model train layouts.
They were from all different periods. He gave everybody a striped
railroad engineers cap to put on when they ventured downstairs and
they would run the trains till the cows came home. The detailing was
fantastic. The shrubbery was all made out of found stuff and painted
to look real. You could visualize yourself, traveling through the
various environments. Really neat.

John
Old February 28th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

My little ones are about half an inch finished.
At that size, because, as you say, your vision alters scale slightly,
the little tiny stitches that wouldn't be noticeable at full size, seem
huge! That's why I used the zig-zag; but I loved the effect and have
used it on larger ones.
I take the point about the train layouts very well. I went to see the
Marionette theatre in Salzburg performing The Magic Flute. Everything
there is small - the stage, curtains etc. When you come to yourself,
when the lights go back on, you feel as if you are in a world of giants!
..
In message
,
John writes

Old February 28th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Thanks Cheryl, how very kind.
..
In message , CATS
writes

Tumbling Blocks Alice Quilting 24 January 13th 08 07:11 PM
Tumbling Blocks Help Mika Quilting 14 April 18th 07 08:24 PM
S.E.X. and Tumbling Blocks revisited Dannielle Quilting 8 January 5th 07 01:58 AM
Can't resist them tumbling blocks... spampot Yarn 26 March 27th 05 12:23 AM
Tumbling Blocks help dogmom Quilting 13 February 9th 04 02:06 PM