OT -- I just need to whine

Old October 29th 05, 07:57 PM
the black rose

Default OT -- I just need to whine

This hasn't exactly been a banner year.

It started with an abnormal mammogram in March. That *still* isn't
resolved, though I should find out next Thursday what the results of the
MRI are. Maybe they'll finally decide what's really going on in there.
Precancerous changes seems to be the best guess right now. Happy
happy joy joy, I didn't inherit my mom's boobs, why'd I have to inherit
her tendency to breast cancer?

A summer of unrelenting stress. GAWDS I'm glad that's finally over.
There were times when I thought I was going to go barking mad.
Whimpering in my sleep, crying all the time, riding my bike -- too much,
it turns out -- to try to get some stress relief (which did help).

So guess what? My right leg is longer than my left leg. My friend
Sharon quipped that now she knows what to say when people accuse me of
being unbalanced. This previously unknown fact raised havoc with the
rest of my frame when I became more active. Even on a bike, where you
think it wouldn't matter, but I rode over 2000 miles this summer (modest
by the standards of the local bike clubs). Now I've got sciatica and
severe inflammation in my right hip, I'm in constant pain and it's going
to take months of physical therapy to get my frame straightened out and
in balance. Meanwhile, I'm not allowed to do any exercise except what
the PT prescribes. None of it is aerobic, none of it gives me anything
like an endorphin rush, the lack of which has me climbing straight up
the walls.

Can't indulge in retail therapy or stash enhancement -- full time
tuition x2, house repairs, taxes, and hundreds of $$ each month in
copays for allergy shots (x2) and physical therapy, we're more than a
little tight right now.

And now I've got a nasty cold. No energy for what little I *am* allowed
to do.

Bleahhhhhhhhhh. *snerk* *sneeze* *honk*

Smack me upside the head and remind me of my blessings, or just shoot me
now. Don't much care which.

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old October 29th 05, 08:45 PM
Carey N.

"the black rose" wrote in message
This hasn't exactly been a banner year.

SNIP

[...]

Couldn't you build up the pedal of your bicycle for the shorter leg? Might
even out how far forward and down you have to use it when pedalling. Or a
slightly built-up sole for that shoe? It would be a shame to miss out on
your cycling fun, if there is a way to do it still. Check with your
physical therapist; he/she'd probably know just the thing.
JM2C,
Carey in MA

Old October 29th 05, 09:07 PM
Kate Dicey

the black rose wrote:

[...]

Hang on in there! And take comfort - no-one is exactly symmetrical!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the MRI result is fine. Also, ask
the physioterrorist about exercise you can do using parts other than the
afflicted hip: NAG them about it - or see if there's a sports injury
clinic you can go to. They sometimes have a bigger clue about this sort
of thing.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 29th 05, 09:17 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

This is terribly embarrassing to admit, but when I was told I had one
leg shorter than the other, I went to get a 1/4" lift put on the outside
of the heel of my shoe each time I bought a new pair of shoes. Over the
years I moved, took my shoes to a new place, and told them 3/8" instead
of 1/4" (because I couldn't remember, hadn't written it down). Within a
few weeks my tailbone broke from overcompensation. Couldn't cast it,
couldn't set it, and it took over a year for the pain to go away.
Please, please be careful.

Old October 29th 05, 09:23 PM
Butterfly

"the black rose" wrote in message
Now I've got sciatica and severe inflammation in my right hip, I'm in
constant pain and it's going to take months of physical therapy to get my
frame straightened out and in balance. the black rose

After lots of gentle snipping
I am going to ask-have you asked your Dr abut a combo shot for the
Sciatica? I got one that was a Cortisone and Lidocaine combo....helped
tremendously. Do NOT have the constant brain numbing pain that I had
had.....still have to be careful in what I do but the relief is well worth
it. They gave me a 'relaxing IV' for a very short duration so I wouldn't
move when the needle was in--and they used an xray machine to make sure it
was the perfect spot.... but other than that--it was NO BIGGIE and I HATE
HATE HATE needles. It was so well worth it. I can even stand for the
duration of making dinner once again
HTH

Butterfly (hip pain and leg pain oooooowwwwwwwwwiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeee)

Old October 29th 05, 10:42 PM
Jenn/Jalynne

I can relate to your plight in so many ways....big hugs headed your
direction. I know that wasn't one of the choices, but just trying to think
outside the box today...hehe.

--
Jenn/Jalynne
quilting, beads, scrapbooking, cross stitch and other 'crafti' obsessions

Old October 30th 05, 12:20 AM
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Rose- I'm so sorry you're having this mammo scare- I don't know how you
can live with that in the back of your mind all the time. Poor dear!
I'll send some cyber hugs your way and The HairyButt Gang sends some
sloppy, doggy-breath cyber kisses to you. vbg

As to the long/short leg, I can sympathize with you as I have a 2-3/4
inch difference from polio. That's what caused my right hip to wear
out at age 45 and a hip replacement at 52. I wear a one inch lift on
my left shoe- my spine has curved to compensate for my un-level hips
and that's as far as they dare correct me. I hate it, but the
alternative is not appealing to me. I'd rather not have another hip
replacement any time soon.

Hope you can get it all worked out, soon, and with little further pain.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 30th 05, 12:29 AM
Taria

Oh Rose, I'm sorry it has been such a tough time for you.
Getting a cold with all the stress you are under isn't much of
a surprise. I sure hope they get your leg/sciatica problems working
better. It has been a rotten summer here too with DH having the heart
attack. I had to go to a funeral for a quilting friends husband the
other day. Kind of smacked me back into reality. Every day we
seem to wake up and for that I am grateful. I hope you are feeling
better soon and you are really able to appreciate your blessings.
Glad you can whine here. Do it again as much as you need to.
Hugs, TAria

Old October 30th 05, 11:45 AM
SNIGDIBBLY

(((((((((Black Rose))))))))))))))) - (lopsided hug so I don't miss the
longer leg.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"