Designer II by Viking/Husqvarna

Old October 12th 03, 01:03 AM
Debbi

Welcome to the group Tammy. Yes there is hope. I am older than you and my
7th grade teacher was unbelivably horrible (first thing we made was a terry
cloth beach cover-- she hated my seams and constantly made me pull them
out). I am the proud owner of a D2 like you. Take all the free classes and
then think about some of the pay classes. I am a quilter and I use the
machine almost daily. Enjoy your new toy

Debbi in SO CA

"Tammy" wrote in message
om...
Hi Ladies,

This is my first post to the rec.crafts.textiles.quilting group. I
have been rambling to my husband the past few months about how I would
love to make my own pillows, crafts, tablecloths, gifts, custom shower
curtains, quilts, etc. etc. but that I would need a machine. I guess
he got tired of hearing me ramble on because today I find myself
staring at a new Designer II with the embroidery attachment. I am 38
years old and the last time I sewed anything on a machine was in 8th
grade Home Economics where I made this hideous vest. Granted, the
vest came out great and I could handle the technical aspects of
sewing. I also remember the teacher who was equivalent to a Nazi
guard as she hovered over us like little slaves. That is my last
memory of sewing on a machine. I know that I will do well with this
machine but I look at it in amazement and don't want it to just be a
dust collector. The place where my husband purchased it has free
classes and advanced classes as well that are not free. My question
is, is there hope for a newbie like myself or is this too much
machine! Is this a good machine? I have never heard of it before.
He mentioned that the next one up was like $5k! :-O

Regards,
Tammy

Old October 12th 03, 03:04 AM
Valkyrie

~big friendly wave~
Hi Tammy!!!
Take the free classes. TAKE THE FREE CLASSES!! I had over 40 years of sewing
under my belt when I got the every bell and whistle Designer1. I sewed on it
for a few weeks, reading the manual like Jr High boys with their first
National Geographic. Some things you just need to see done, at least I did.
The free classes were the best thing I did for myself. I honestly didn't
learn anything new as far as basic sewing went, but I did learn what my
machine could do for me. I also met some wonderful people who became friends
and sewing comrades. I am a good manual reader and a teach myself from books
kind of person but I found the free intro classes invaluable. If you are
still unsure of your sewing skills try looking into your Voc schools or
Community Colleges for classes also fabric stores, and your dealer will also
have these, they usually aren't that expensive and will probably give you
the confidence to really get going on your sewing projects. Have no fear, we
all make mistakes, er ....umm....creative opportunities and we are all here
to help each other. No such thing as a stupid question, pedal to the floor
and sew baby, sew, have fun with your Viking!........and take the free
classes!! I'm a Viking gal and have been for a long time. There are lots of
good machines, of various brands, out there and IMO you do have one of them.
Take the classes to build your confidence and knowledge and ........did I
mention you should take the classes? LOL

Oh, and BTW......I had already won several ribbons on sewing projects before
I had to take the required Home Ec......the Sewing Nazi flunked me two
consecutive quarters and then gave me a D+. Amazing, since I was at home
sewing prom and wedding dresses and had been for several years and padding
my bank account for college. I've heard more horror stories and personally
experienced the same than I have success about Jr & Sr High School Home Ec.
It's a shame. I'm sure there are plenty of teachers, I hope, that have
instilled a love and excitement for sewing in young people but it seems that
friends and family have mentored more seamstresses than anything else. Put
your 8th grade sewing experience behind you, we don't grade anything here,
no failures, you have unconditional acceptance and support. I love the
people on the NGs G-B-toofy-G There is also alt.sewing, alt.sewing
mach-embroidery, and rec.crafts.textiles.sewing. Many of the people here
also post in those groups and there's wonderful information, support (and
humor) in all.

Val

Old October 12th 03, 03:09 AM
Two x over

tammy-
your hubby bought you one heckava great machine! my first suggestion to you
is...take all of the free classses teh store offers! this way, you will get
aquainted with your machine, and not get frustrated.

the embroidery aspect is great fun...you will enjoy it!

as far as making quilts, ect...once youve played on your machine for a little
bit, find the nearest quilt shop and walk in! chances are, they will have
beginner classes, where you will get a great start to quilting!

good luck!
betsey
"we do not inherit the earth, we caretake it for our children"
Old October 12th 03, 04:15 AM
Sharon Harper

Welcome to the group!

May I have your husband please? VBG

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU) (who hated her sewing/home ec
teacher too)

Old October 12th 03, 04:50 AM
Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)

I have a Designer II and absolutely love it. I didn't get the embroidery
unit because I just wasn't interested in it. I bought my first Viking in
1977 and kept trading up over the years - this is my 5th Viking Machine.
Take every free lesson you can, and the others too if you can afford it.
You'll have lots more fun with your machine if you take the lessons.
--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

Old October 12th 03, 08:20 AM
Patti

Hullo Tammy
Well, I don't know about the others, but you've got me drooling!!
It is a beautiful machine. You will be able to do beautiful work on it.
BUT, *do* take any classes that are going. I spent a little time on my
Viking (not a Designer!!) when I bought it, just so that I knew what I
could do and what I would need help with. Then I went for the 'get to
know your machine' lesson. If you can get to the advanced ones, do
those too. You never know what you might need to know until you start
working with this king of machines!! The world is your oyster.
Have a ball with it.
..
In article , Tammy
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 12th 03, 11:57 AM
georg

Tammy wrote:

Hi Ladies,

The place where my husband purchased it has free
classes and advanced classes as well that are not free. My question
is, is there hope for a newbie like myself or is this too much
machine! Is this a good machine? I have never heard of it before.
He mentioned that the next one up was like $5k! :-O

Take all the classes you can. You'll be surprised at how different these
classes are.

What your beloved has done is basically bought you a cadillac. It will
be a delight to sew upon, with more bells and whistles than you've ever
heard of. I hope you enjoy it.

-georg

Old October 12th 03, 01:08 PM
Roberta in D

Welcome Tammy! Congratulations on your great new machine. I can only
repeat what the others have said: take all the classes offered! There's
always something new to learn, and it's a good incentive to produce. Do
they offer quilting classes too?
Roberta in D

(Tammy) wrote in news:f7e2bafe.0310111728.2b5ca2a4
@posting.google.com:

Hi Ladies,

This is my first post to the rec.crafts.textiles.quilting group. I
have been rambling to my husband the past few months about how I would
love to make my own pillows, crafts, tablecloths, gifts, custom shower
curtains, quilts, etc. etc. but that I would need a machine. I guess
he got tired of hearing me ramble on because today I find myself
staring at a new Designer II with the embroidery attachment. (clipped)

Regards,
Tammy

Old October 12th 03, 03:25 PM
Kate Dicey

Tammy wrote:

[...]

Welcome to one of the best news groups out here!

You have a real keeper in that hubby of yours! I'm sure you will find
your lovely new machine a joy to play with and very easy to use - I
teach kids to sew on my Lily! Take all the great advice the others have
offered, and relax and enjoy it.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk