Microscope Slide - Glass Cutting Jig

Old September 8th 03, 02:22 PM
MaryJLind

Default Microscope Slide - Glass Cutting Jig

Hi,
Just saw this listed in Belle Armoire. It's a kit for cutting the microscope
slides into different sizes for making pendants.

http://www.burntofferings.com/weblin...003022100.html

--Mary
Mary Lind
Old September 8th 03, 02:42 PM
Tink

I would love to get my hands on one of those, just out of curiosity. I saw
them in Belle Armoire, too. I just use a tiny file and lightly score the
glass and *snap*.... It breaks cleanly and easily. The jig would make it a
lot easier to cut lots of slides to the same dimensions. Anyone have this?
What do you think?

--

Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
Sign Up Now For Fall Workshops!
Hollows, Vessels & Florals...

Old September 8th 03, 03:10 PM
Charlie

You could just buy a pair of glass nips for a few pounds! My grandads cut
glass this was for years, you just score it and then cut it. He said that
with something as this as microscope slides you'd only need to score it
though. I am thinking of buying a circular glass cutter though (which
again, is a few pounds) so I can do ickle circular ones!

Charlie.

Old September 8th 03, 10:38 PM
Dr. Sooz

Hey wow! I love the Burnt Offerings site. (It's been in my giant collage
artists folder of links for.... a long time)

http://www.burntofferings.com/weblin...003022100.html

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old September 9th 03, 12:04 PM
Steve & Susan Wright

The glass cutter is easy to get at the hardware store. The jig looks like
it simply holds the slide in place and then you move a straight edge over
and cut using it as a guide. I would recommend a mini Morton system over
this jig or simply use the glass cutter and a straight edge. We looked at
circle cutter and it really doesn't cut as smooth of a circle as you would
hope. We wanted it for dicro and there was to much waste for my taste. If
you check with a stained glass catalog they have a bunch of pliers that pop
the glass thus protecting your fingers. Some people use a thin rod or ledge
to center the score over and apply even pressure on both sides to get a
break.

You are using thin glass for these projects and you might want to take one
piece up to the glass shop and see how much a sheet would cost.

Susan W

Old September 9th 03, 05:26 PM
Tink

Microscope slides are VERY thin, approximately 1mm. They're ridiculously
easy to cut. They're also rather inexpensive, so I'm not sure it would be
worth the time and trouble to try to find glass that thin in sheet form.

I am, however, intrigued by the thought of being able to cut circles from
the slides. Any additional info is eagerly welcomed!

What is a Mini Morton System?

--

Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
Sign Up Now For Fall Workshops!
Hollows, Vessels & Florals...

nk.net...

Old September 10th 03, 02:03 PM
Steve & Susan Wright

http://www.mortonglass.com/Products/products.html will get you to the
morton products. Circle cutter, mini and maxi systems, great products.
Thinking of the bulk glass because you wouldn't be restricted by the small
size of slides.
Susan W