On topic: an author who "gets it"

Old December 13th 10, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
The Lady Gardener[_3_]

Default On topic: an author who "gets it"

"Susan Hartman" wrote in message
I read this paragraph this morning, and immediately smiled and re-read
it, and re-read it again. Perfection! snipped

I've just finished Mr Rosenblum's list by Natasha Solomons
(http://natashasolomons.com/mr-rosenblums-list/)
and i recommend it as a delightful read. Not a literary giant, but a lovely
story well written.

Joanne in Perth.

Old December 19th 10, 05:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Susan Hartman" wrote in message
I read this paragraph this morning, and immediately smiled and re-read it,
and re-read it again. Perfection!

"It was one of the pinafores Saffy had sewn when Merry first arrived, made
from a lovely piece of Liberty fabric ordered years ago, not because Saffy
had a project in mind, but because it was simply too beautiful not to
possess. It had languished ever since in the sewing cupboard, waiting
patiently for Saffy to find it a purpose. And now she had."

From "The Distant Hours", by Kate Morton (who also wrote "The Forgotten
Garden", which has been discussed in this forum). page 353.

The book is a Gothic novel about an eccentric English family in a castle
during WWII and the child who lived with them during the war, with a
parallel story set in the 1990s that continues the family saga a
half-century on with the daughter of the child they'd sheltered. (How's
that for a nutshell encapsulation?)

Hope I've whet your curiosity!

--
Susan Hartman

You caught me. I've got the book at the top of the pile of books waiting
for me.

Lucille

Old December 22nd 10, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 12/19/10 11:40 AM, in article ,
"Lucille" wrote:

"Susan Hartman" wrote in message
I read this paragraph this morning, and immediately smiled and re-read it,
and re-read it again. Perfection!

"It was one of the pinafores Saffy had sewn when Merry first arrived, made
from a lovely piece of Liberty fabric ordered years ago, not because Saffy
had a project in mind, but because it was simply too beautiful not to
possess. It had languished ever since in the sewing cupboard, waiting
patiently for Saffy to find it a purpose. And now she had."

From "The Distant Hours", by Kate Morton (who also wrote "The Forgotten
Garden", which has been discussed in this forum). page 353.

Just picked up The Forgotten Garden from the library, and am in the queue
for The Distant Hours.

The book is a Gothic novel about an eccentric English family in a castle
during WWII and the child who lived with them during the war, with a
parallel story set in the 1990s that continues the family saga a
half-century on with the daughter of the child they'd sheltered. (How's
that for a nutshell encapsulation?)

Hope I've whet your curiosity!

--
Susan Hartman

You caught me. I've got the book at the top of the pile of books waiting
for me.

Lucille

I now have the "library sack" of books sitting next to the bed. Trying to
be good about returning on time, and refilling.

Not exactly fun, but I did get a bunch of reference books on glass art, and
Dale Chihuly. Pretty fascinating - doing some proposals for a regional EGA
to be held near the Dale Chihuly museum. Makes for some interesting
looking, reading and trying to get some creative juices flowing. OTOH, the
stuff that I've now come up with will never be done in time for this
proposal, but....next...

Ellice

Old January 23rd 11, 01:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/11/10 12:42 PM, in article
, "Susan Hartman"
wrote:

I read this paragraph this morning, and immediately smiled and re-read
it, and re-read it again. Perfection!

"It was one of the pinafores Saffy had sewn when Merry first arrived,
made from a lovely piece of Liberty fabric ordered years ago, not
because Saffy had a project in mind, but because it was simply too
beautiful not to possess. It had languished ever since in the sewing
cupboard, waiting patiently for Saffy to find it a purpose. And now she
had."

From "The Distant Hours", by Kate Morton (who also wrote "The Forgotten
Garden", which has been discussed in this forum). page 353.

The book is a Gothic novel about an eccentric English family in a castle
during WWII and the child who lived with them during the war, with a
parallel story set in the 1990s that continues the family saga a
half-century on with the daughter of the child they'd sheltered. (How's
that for a nutshell encapsulation?)

Hope I've whet your curiosity!

Enough so that I'm firmly entrenched in The House at Riverton. The writing
is brilliant!

Cheryl

Old January 23rd 11, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 12/11/10 12:42 PM, in article
, "Susan Hartman"
wrote:

I read this paragraph this morning, and immediately smiled and re-read
it, and re-read it again. Perfection!

"It was one of the pinafores Saffy had sewn when Merry first arrived,
made from a lovely piece of Liberty fabric ordered years ago, not
because Saffy had a project in mind, but because it was simply too
beautiful not to possess. It had languished ever since in the sewing
cupboard, waiting patiently for Saffy to find it a purpose. And now she
had."

From "The Distant Hours", by Kate Morton (who also wrote "The Forgotten
Garden", which has been discussed in this forum). page 353.

The book is a Gothic novel about an eccentric English family in a castle
during WWII and the child who lived with them during the war, with a
parallel story set in the 1990s that continues the family saga a
half-century on with the daughter of the child they'd sheltered. (How's
that for a nutshell encapsulation?)

Hope I've whet your curiosity!

Enough so that I'm firmly entrenched in The House at Riverton. The writing
is brilliant!

Cheryl

I'm glad to hear that you liked her writing. I read Forgotten Garden and
Distant Hours and loved them.

House at Riverton is on my "to read next" list.

Lucille

Lucille

Old January 23rd 11, 09:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

wrote:

I read this paragraph this morning, and immediately smiled and re-read
it, and re-read it again. Perfection!

"It was one of the pinafores Saffy had sewn when Merry first arrived,
made from a lovely piece of Liberty fabric ordered years ago, not
because Saffy had a project in mind, but because it was simply too
beautiful not to possess. It had languished ever since in the sewing
cupboard, waiting patiently for Saffy to find it a purpose. And now she
had."

From "The Distant Hours", by Kate Morton (who also wrote "The Forgotten
Garden", which has been discussed in this forum). page 353.

The book is a Gothic novel about an eccentric English family in a castle
during WWII and the child who lived with them during the war, with a
parallel story set in the 1990s that continues the family saga a
half-century on with the daughter of the child they'd sheltered. (How's
that for a nutshell encapsulation?)

Hope I've whet your curiosity!

Enough so that I'm firmly entrenched in The House at Riverton. The writing
is brilliant!

Cheryl

I'm glad to hear that you liked her writing. I read Forgotten Garden and
Distant Hours and loved them.

House at Riverton is on my "to read next" list.

Lucille

Lucille

I'm waiting for my call to pick-up Forgotten Garden. Somehow I didn't get
the notice when I popped up on the library queue, and lost my spot - so had
to request again. Looking forward to it.

Ellice

Old January 24th 11, 03:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 1/23/2011 3:21 PM, Ellice K. wrote:
On 1/23/11 10:19 AM, in article ,
wrote:

"Cheryl wrote in message
On 12/11/10 12:42 PM, in article
, "Susan Hartman"
wrote:

I read this paragraph this morning, and immediately smiled and re-read
it, and re-read it again. Perfection!

"It was one of the pinafores Saffy had sewn when Merry first arrived,
made from a lovely piece of Liberty fabric ordered years ago, not
because Saffy had a project in mind, but because it was simply too
beautiful not to possess. It had languished ever since in the sewing
cupboard, waiting patiently for Saffy to find it a purpose. And now she
had."

From "The Distant Hours", by Kate Morton (who also wrote "The Forgotten
[...]

OK...y0u guys.........I have to request the local library to get the
book. If there is a sequential plot........please give me the name of
the first book. Currently I have two from the library, and a paperback
to finish. Since I usually read about 30 mins in bed each night , it
takes a while!

Gill
Old January 24th 11, 03:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy

On Jan 23, 9:36*pm, Gillian Murray wrote:
On 1/23/2011 3:21 PM, Ellice K. wrote:

On 1/23/11 10:19 AM, in article ,
*wrote:

"Cheryl *wrote in message
On 12/11/10 12:42 PM, in article
, "Susan Hartman"
*wrote:

I read this paragraph this morning, and immediately smiled and re-read
it, and re-read it again. Perfection!

"It was one of the pinafores Saffy had sewn when Merry first arrived,
made from a lovely piece of Liberty fabric ordered years ago, not
because Saffy had a project in mind, but because it was simply too
beautiful not to possess. It had languished ever since in the sewing
cupboard, waiting patiently for Saffy to find it a purpose. And now she
had."

*From "The Distant Hours", by Kate Morton (who also wrote "The Forgotten
[...]

All Kate Morton's books are unrelated stories.

Nancy
Old January 25th 11, 02:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

SNIP
Lucille

I'm waiting for my call to pick-up Forgotten Garden. *Somehow I didn't get
the notice when I popped up on the library queue, and lost my spot - so had
to request again. *Looking forward to it.

Ellice

OK...y0u guys.........I have to request the local library to get the
book. If there is a sequential plot........please give me the name of
the first book. Currently I have two from the library, and a paperback
to finish. Since I usually read about 30 mins in bed each night , it
takes a while!

Gill

All Kate Morton's books are unrelated stories.

Nancy

I just finished "The House at Riverton" and what a wonderful book. Ok - I've
seen variations on the plot before, but it was so well told that I just had
to turn the next page.

Forgotten Garden is going to with me while I wait upon DS's car service!

Cheryl