Helping children

Old November 14th 04, 10:21 PM

Default Helping children

There's a program where my children can get money for college.* When I
use my grocery store savings card, 1 or 2% of what I spend on certain
products goes into an account for the children's college.

I feel stupid asking other people for their card numbers.* I think it
just makes me look pitiful.* The last thing I want now is more pity.

On the other hand this is anonymous and no one knows me, so here goes:

If anyone wants to send me their grocery store savings card number(s)
i'd really apreciate it.
If not that's OK too.* No I don't want charge card numbers.* And I
don't want charity.* I just want my children to go to college.

If you want to send them, give me the store name, the card number and
your zip code.
My email address is:*

I'm talking about the card that they scan at the grocery store that
gives you the sale price.
There's nothing bad anyone can do with this number, but if you don't
want to it's OK.

Ann
Old November 14th 04, 10:44 PM
JoAnn Paules

1. This is definitely OT.

2. The program is called UPromise and I already participate on behalf of my
grandniece. I'm sorry but I'll be damned if I'm turning over my grocery
store card number to you. I don't know you and, considering my credit card
number is tied into it, you sure as hell aren't getting any of my
information.

3. If anyone in this group is even thinking of doing this - let me know. I'm
going to have to knock on your door so you and I can have a nice long chat
about scams.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

wrote in message
om...
[...]

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old November 14th 04, 11:48 PM
Spot

There are valid ways to pay for college. They are called scholarships, part
time work, student loans etc. I put myself through college not once but
twice and borrowed money each time. Personally I feel that all kids should
have to work to pay for college. It means they appreciate it a hell of a
lot more and are less likely to flunk out.

Celeste

om...

Old November 15th 04, 12:41 AM
JoAnn Paules

I'm not sure what she thinks but it smells bad to me. The only thing that
would work is if she sent us her child's name and we listed that child as
our recipient. I didn't see her offering to send us her child's information.

I have my grandniece signed up because my two youngest nieces have had
college funds set up for them since shortly after birth. Florida has an
excellent program from what my brother tells me. My grandniece's mom is my
oldest niece. She had Kari when she was only 15 so life isn't always easy.
She does okay but can't afford to start a college fund. Kari's only 7 so she
has time but still..a few pennies here and a few pennies there will add up
over the years.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
. giganews.com...
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:44:58 -0500, JoAnn Paules wrote
(in message ):

2. The program is called UPromise and I already participate on behalf of
my
grandniece. I'm sorry but I'll be damned if I'm turning over my grocery
store card number to you. I don't know you and, considering my credit
card
number is tied into it, you sure as hell aren't getting any of my
information.

3. If anyone in this group is even thinking of doing this - let me know.
I'm
going to have to knock on your door so you and I can have a nice long
chat
about scams.

Even if it isn't a scam to try and get credit card numbers, I am
quite sure that it's against the UPromise program rules, and would
likely result in everyone getting all their points cancelled.

I particpate on Manda's behalf, and don't see how getting additional
card number could benefit the original poster. My pharmacy scans my
card at the time of purchase - I doubt if I gave her a bunch of
additional card numbers she'd scan them all. Or does the poster want
us to give all our points to her? Why would anyone do that? - most
people participating in UPromise have a specific kid in mind when
they sign up.

If the original poster is that concerned about making sure her
children get to college, she should talk to the guidance counselors
at her local high school. Many state colleges are extremely
affordable, and if tuition at even a state college is too much, there
is such a thing as financial aid.

Massachusetts is considering implementing a program that would make
me a very happy camper - students who score in the top 10% on the
high-stakes MCAS test would have their tuition and fees waived at any
Massachusetts state college. (Meaning all I would have to come up
with is room and board) Manda has consistently scored in the top 5%
on the tests, and last year was the second highest scorer in her
school. If you don't live in Mass., check with your state department
of education (most are online) and see what they have available.

Kathy N-V

---

Old November 18th 04, 01:45 AM
Dr. Sooz

What BULL****. I hope no one here is considering participating in this total
scam.

[...]

~~
Sooz
The things that will destroy us a politics without principle; pleasure
without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character; business
without morality; science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice. - M.
Ghandi

Old November 18th 04, 02:10 AM
Diana Curtis

I was, just as soon as I sold my enron stock and shares in prime florida
swamp land I was going to go apply for one of those cards expressly for the
purpose of helping this poor woman's kids out.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old November 18th 04, 02:23 AM
JoAnn Paules

Well, that's kind of what I said. I like your phrasing much better. :-)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Old November 18th 04, 03:01 AM
Karen_AZ

I HAVE heard of similar programs that raise money for charitable groups, but
never for individuals. Don't yell at me (you can throw beads, though G),
just mentioning that it might actually be possible, though I really doubt
it.

I think the group thing is kinda cool. Most of our local supermarkets do it,
so does KMart. You sign up, tell them what school or charity you want to
help (all the schools have their own codes) and then when you present your
store card for your usual discounts, 1% goes to the school. My cards are
assigned to my son's elementary school, Mike's are for DD's high school.

Amazing the useless info I know. LOL

KarenK

Old November 18th 04, 06:00 PM
Dr. Sooz

Haw haw!

I was, just as soon as I sold my enron stock and shares in prime florida
swamp land I was going to go apply for one of those cards expressly for the
purpose of helping this poor woman's kids out.
Diana

~~
Sooz
The things that will destroy us a politics without principle; pleasure
without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character; business
without morality; science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice. - M.
Ghandi

OT - My Children are strange! Helen C Beads 3 September 15th 04 06:37 AM
Very OT - Fahrenheit 9/11 Beadseeker Beads 336 July 9th 04 08:47 PM
OT - children Candace Beads 3 May 27th 04 10:04 AM
OT - Story: My child hating reputation Candace Beads 80 May 16th 04 11:22 PM