Doing Something instead of complaining

Old February 16th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

Default Doing Something instead of complaining

In article ,
"Roberta Zollner" wrote:

I've had enough of jerry-rigging my sewing area to machine quilt. No more
ironing board lowered to almost meet the edge of the acrylic table, so the
quilt doesn't fall off the left. No more trying to get an extra inch of
height out of my chair, and wrestling bunches of quilt sandwich that get
stuck between the acrylic table and the machine.

A carpenter is coming over today to look at all the pictures of Real Sewing
Tables I could find, measure my machine, and give me an estimate. Might take
a while, but I am determined to get my machine bed at the right height!
Roberta in D

Congratulations, Roberta! I'd love to do the same thing -- I hope
yours turns out just as you're hoping!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old February 16th 07, 01:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

So, does this mean you will be coming to the Peninsula
next week for Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival?
http://www.quiltfest.com/quilt_festival.asp
E-mail me and we can arrange a meet up. PAT

Debra wrote:

Hee hee hee!
Instead of complaining I did something too----I quit my job!
I'm Free! Yippee!
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old February 16th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 08:05:30 -0500, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

So, does this mean you will be coming to the Peninsula
next week for Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival?
http://www.quiltfest.com/quilt_festival.asp
E-mail me and we can arrange a meet up. PAT

Wish I could Pat. I will have to pinch my pennies until a new job is
found, and I'm not really looking until my shoulder heals although I
do have one application in at the moment. I've got tendonitis in my
right shoulder at the shoulder blade, and the old job schedule was so
weird that I didn't have a day off with my hubbie for over a month.
First things first--spend time with DH. Then do all the jobs around
the house that need both of us to fix. And do some quilt sewing from
my stash.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old February 16th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:45:46 -0600, Roberta Zollner wrote
(in article ):

I've had enough of jerry-rigging my sewing area to machine quilt. No more
ironing board lowered to almost meet the edge of the acrylic table, so the
quilt doesn't fall off the left. No more trying to get an extra inch of
height out of my chair, and wrestling bunches of quilt sandwich that get
stuck between the acrylic table and the machine.

A carpenter is coming over today to look at all the pictures of Real Sewing
Tables I could find, measure my machine, and give me an estimate. Might take
a while, but I am determined to get my machine bed at the right height!
Roberta in D

You will not regret this. I love my custom made sewing and cutting tables.

Maureen

Old February 16th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Good advice! Thanks! The carpenter was here just a little while ago, and
very sensibly measured me as well as my table. The one he's planning will be
higher than the base table I was using, except the machine will sit flush
with the surface. Now I'm waiting to hear the estimate :-)
Roberta in D

"John" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
On Feb 15, 9:45 am, "Roberta Zollner" wrote:
I've had enough of jerry-rigging my sewing area to machine quilt. No more
ironing board lowered to almost meet the edge of the acrylic table, so
the
quilt doesn't fall off the left. No more trying to get an extra inch of
height out of my chair, and wrestling bunches of quilt sandwich that get
stuck between the acrylic table and the machine.

A carpenter is coming over today to look at all the pictures of Real
Sewing
Tables I could find, measure my machine, and give me an estimate. Might
take
a while, but I am determined to get my machine bed at the right height!
Roberta in D

--
Roberta in D

Roberta,
If you would take a bit of advise from someone who had built furniture
(45 years) and my own sewing room tables and like things, I would
caution you to build it (high) for starters. Try to find the highest
table surface and place the sewing machine on it and try to sew on
that . When you find one that seems to high, start there and then when
the table is built it is easier to cut the legs down in small
increments until you achieve the (right for you) height. If what you
are building is a cabinet, there are screw adjustable (feet) that are
available that would let you adjust the height about 1-2 inches if
necessary. They are mainly for adjusting for uneven floor surfaces,
but would work for setting the height to your desired measurements.
Just remember, it is easier to cut than add to the legs when you have
built it too low. Good luck.

John

John

Old February 17th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

WTG, Roberta! Making a solution is better than whining, any day! I'm proud
of you.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green