Doing Something instead of complaining

Old February 15th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Default Doing Something instead of complaining

I've had enough of jerry-rigging my sewing area to machine quilt. No more
ironing board lowered to almost meet the edge of the acrylic table, so the
quilt doesn't fall off the left. No more trying to get an extra inch of
height out of my chair, and wrestling bunches of quilt sandwich that get
stuck between the acrylic table and the machine.

A carpenter is coming over today to look at all the pictures of Real Sewing
Tables I could find, measure my machine, and give me an estimate. Might take
a while, but I am determined to get my machine bed at the right height!
Roberta in D

--
Roberta in D

Old February 15th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews Moore

Hope it doesn't take long to get everything "just right."
Barbara in FL

Old February 15th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

What have you decided about table height, Roberta? If my table were as low
as Dr. Susan says, I couldn't see what I was stitching - not a good thing,
methinks. And what have you decided about table size? Assuming that you
can't have one that's as big as a 3-car garage, unless, of course, you have
use of the ballroom in your Winter Palace. Polly

Old February 15th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Good for you, Roberta!
Hope you get it organised to your satisfaction.
..
In message , Roberta Zollner
writes
I've had enough of jerry-rigging my sewing area to machine quilt. No more
ironing board lowered to almost meet the edge of the acrylic table, so the
quilt doesn't fall off the left. No more trying to get an extra inch of
height out of my chair, and wrestling bunches of quilt sandwich that get
stuck between the acrylic table and the machine.

A carpenter is coming over today to look at all the pictures of Real Sewing
Tables I could find, measure my machine, and give me an estimate. Might take
a while, but I am determined to get my machine bed at the right height!
Roberta in D

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 15th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Hee hee hee!
Instead of complaining I did something too----I quit my job!
I'm Free! Yippee!
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old February 15th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

There was some sort of ergonomic chart I found when looking for table
pictures, said 28" was a good working height for an average size person
(about 5' 6").The old dining table I use for cutting is exactly that height
and very comfortable when I'm sitting down, so I'm going with that. The
table surface -well, the carpenter will probably tell me there's a standard
piece of wood he could use, or special order something that costs twice as
much for a difference of a couple of inches. (He didn't make it today BTW
:-( but has promised firmly to appear tomorrow.)
I'm saving the ballroom for the glorious day when I can afford a longarm.
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

Old February 15th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

OK, seems you're about due for another visit!
Roberta in D

"mini Mini" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. 54...
"Roberta Zollner" wrote in
:

I've had enough of jerry-rigging my sewing area to machine quilt. No
more ironing board lowered to almost meet the edge of the acrylic
table, so the quilt doesn't fall off the left. No more trying to get
an extra inch of height out of my chair, and wrestling bunches of
quilt sandwich that get stuck between the acrylic table and the
machine.

A carpenter is coming over today to look at all the pictures of Real
Sewing Tables I could find, measure my machine, and give me an
estimate. Might take a while, but I am determined to get my machine
bed at the right height! Roberta in D

Good for you! Take control of that table (and get someone in!)
I'll be glad to come & inspect after the work is done!

Old February 15th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

LOL!
Roberta in D

Old February 15th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Feb 15, 9:45 am, "Roberta Zollner" wrote:
I've had enough of jerry-rigging my sewing area to machine quilt. No more
ironing board lowered to almost meet the edge of the acrylic table, so the
quilt doesn't fall off the left. No more trying to get an extra inch of
height out of my chair, and wrestling bunches of quilt sandwich that get
stuck between the acrylic table and the machine.

A carpenter is coming over today to look at all the pictures of Real Sewing
Tables I could find, measure my machine, and give me an estimate. Might take
a while, but I am determined to get my machine bed at the right height!
Roberta in D

--
Roberta in D

Roberta,
If you would take a bit of advise from someone who had built furniture
(45 years) and my own sewing room tables and like things, I would
caution you to build it (high) for starters. Try to find the highest
table surface and place the sewing machine on it and try to sew on
that . When you find one that seems to high, start there and then when
the table is built it is easier to cut the legs down in small
increments until you achieve the (right for you) height. If what you
are building is a cabinet, there are screw adjustable (feet) that are
available that would let you adjust the height about 1-2 inches if
necessary. They are mainly for adjusting for uneven floor surfaces,
but would work for setting the height to your desired measurements.
Just remember, it is easier to cut than add to the legs when you have
built it too low. Good luck.

John

John

Old February 15th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
JPgirl

Yep depending on your chair and what other activities you will be
using the table for I would suggest high as well.
My table is about 30" I think (if i remember correctly) and I use an
adjustable drafting chair but the table is the perfect hieght for
standing if I want so it serves me perfectly for cutting as well. I
also have my machine quilting frame on one side of the table and
holding up the top are shelving units (i built them as well) that hold
my stash and other junk!
The table is 6'x8' holds 2 machines on one side (recessed into the
table) a serger at one end, cutting mat at the other end and my 10'
long machine frame as I said sits on the opposite side. Oh and my
laptop is usually sitting around too.
Gives me TONS of room and if I need more I just put one of my machines
away and cover the hole with my cutting mat!

It is all a matter of comfort though and what might be comfy for one
of us might not be comfy at all for you.
But Congrats anyway on getting the new table built just the way you
want it!