Determining fiber content

Old October 27th 03, 03:47 AM
Ann

Default Determining fiber content

I cleaned, sorted and organized my fabric closet today. I have a pile of
material that I'm not sure if it's cotton or poly cotton. Is there any way
to visibly tell the difference? I can tell the good quality cotton just by
the feel of it, but what I'm not sure of would be the not top quality (if it
is cotton).Would appreciate any suggestions to tell the difference.

Ann........hiding the really good stuff to the back so she won't have to
worry about raids!

Old October 27th 03, 04:48 AM
Jalynne

the best way is a burn test. Burn a small piece and look at the ash. If it's
powdery, it's a natural fiber. if it's kinda pilly and melted looking, it's either
poly or poly blend. Cotton and linen give off a burning paper smell. Wool and such
give off a burning hair smell. HTH
--
Jalynne

Old October 27th 03, 05:06 AM
Ann

Careful Diana.......you might get what you wished for!!!
Remember those bright and wild neon print days?? I got some lovely
irresistible prints G

Ann

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Heh, heh.. now we know where to look first!
:-)
Cant help with the quality question but if you send it to me Ill test it

all
for you. ;-)
diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old October 27th 03, 05:39 AM
Ann

Thanks Jalynne. I've tacked these to my bulletin board so I can remember
which way is what when it comes time to test.

Ann

nk.net...

Old October 27th 03, 12:08 PM
Roberta in D

Iron a corner with a very hot iron. If you smell plastic, there's poly in
it. If it shrivels up in a horrible blob, there's a LOT of poly in it.
Roberta in D

"Ann" wrote in

Old October 27th 03, 01:53 PM
Diana Curtis

LOL
Yes, I remember them. I am a child of those hippy days. Scary fabric wasnt
it?
Even if you dont send it I wouldnt mind seeing it. Any chance for a picture
of the worst.. or best of that lot?
Diana