First Machine Quilt Experience

Old July 10th 03, 03:21 AM
Sarah Curry

Default First Machine Quilt Experience

AWWWWWWWW, SHUCKS ... (but not EXACTLY digging toe-in-dirt :-) )

As for the "rasslin'", to each her own. Among other things, I've never
UNDERSTOOD the directions on "smaller sections", and hell, if I'm still
"young" enough and "strong" enough (heh, heh, heh) to do it the HARD
way, then I'm likely to keep on with that (may be a kinda
"bragging-rights" thang, donchaknow ... and those seldom have anything
to do with SENSE :-) ).

Hi, Donna! Hugs to Wayne! Got the hay baled, yet???

Grins,
Sairey

Donna in Idaho wrote:

Hey, Sarah! Sure glad to see you posting again! Now, that you, Suzie and
Mr. Cannon, and BBL are back it seems like home again!

Can't agree with you on the quilt as you go - I'd much rather wrestle with a
quilt in smaller sections!

For the rest of you, Sarah is a wonderful machine quilter. I know! I've
seen some pretty special quilts that she has machine quilted. )

Old July 10th 03, 03:24 AM
Sarah Curry

[some gentle snipping]
Carla

PS: Am I the oldest one here??? Married the longest???
Is there a prize for this??? LOL

And the answers a

Probably not
Perhaps
No

Grins,
Sairey ("older than dirt", according to the test, but still KYUUUUUUTE!
:-) )

Old July 10th 03, 03:38 AM
Sarah Curry

Why, thankee-thankee, Diana!

Now, let's see if I can REMEMBER the link (after, of course, another
story :-) ). You see, my website is pretty OLD. It was quite
literally written in html (is that the acronym? :-) ) by a
FIFTEEN-year-old boy, using his parents' ancient MAC. Sean, who'll
start his JUNIOR year at AZ State U (on a full-ride music scholarship --
and WHAT a voice that 6'4" young man has! OOOOH!) -- uh ... would that
be about SIX years ago?

Hasn't been updated much (but hell, I haven't QUILTED much, lately), but
thank you Mickie, for a couple of additions, including MeSue's "Brown is
Beautiful" (I HATE brown, and I LOATHE "little" (sorry, folks, you'll
just have to get used to it ... the term "WUH" exists because of my
antipathy toward those ... erm ... "vertical surface covers") ... but
this little quilt is special).

As I understand it, "Laguna Beach" (my son Gregg's "weddin' quilt" ...
he got married in July 2000, BTW) will soon be finished (you BET I "sent
it out" to be quilted ... sure as shootin' *I* wasn't gonna get it
done), but it also is HUGE. When I have pictures (some here have seen
the top), I'll get some help to put them up.

And so, that said (at my usual length :-) ) see if this works:

http://zianet.com/scurry

If that doesn't work, I'll hafta call (with the same red face that I had
when I had to walk to the gas station this afternoon and admit that
I'd run out of gas, and Bubba-the-Truck was stuck in the MIDDLE of the
exit from the hotel where I'd been to a seminar) and ask!

Grins,
Sairey (all quilters love "show 'n' tell", even if it's OLD stuff! :-) )

Diana Curtis wrote:

Sarah, could you post a link to your web site please? There are quilts there
our newcomers need to see. Ill never forget the first time I paged through
your collection. Im not sure which is more fun, the pictures or the storys
that go along with!
Thanks,
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

"Sarah Curry" wrote in message

You clearly didn't come here FIRST, Carla, but where do you want us to
START? (and yes, we WILL argue about this and that (almost everything,
come to think of it ... starting with a sheet for the backing ... a 100%
cotton sheet, by chance?? :-) )

Grins,
Sairey (just stirring the pot, a little ... and yes, I CAN, because I
pretty much BTDT, on all of those ('cept that I've never UNDERSTOOD that
"heavy" stuff ... of COURSE it is heavy! but I doubt that there's much
"older" than miz "older-than-dirt", here (I SWEAR -- that's how that one
came out, a coupla years ago, and I wasn't quite SIXTY, then (but am 61
now)!))

C. Mathews wrote:

Just couldn't resist telling all you lovely experienced machine quilters
about my adventures with my first attempt to machine quilt.

I went armed with my split rail pattern to the fabric shop. First of

all, I

was shocked at the prices..then I was bewildered as to what to buy.

After

spending an hour, and the salesgirl pulling down bolts of fabric I

finally

decided on my colors. One light, one medium, and one dark. So far so

good!

The cutting and piecing went well. I love doing that even though I was
intimated by the first time use of the rotary cutter. I had a brand new
machine to use and life was good!

Then a friend came over with a quilting frame and we sandwiched the Warm

&

Natural, pieced top, and a sheet for the backing together, and pinned

our

little hearts out.

Sounds good uh?? But wait, there is a dark side to all of this. No one

told

me that a double bed size quilt would be so heavy. No one told me that

needed a walking foot. No one told me that without one, the backside of

the

quilt will pucker. No one told me that a pinned quilt is like pushing a

bed

of nails through your machine. No one told me that it is easier to sew
North to South than East to West on a quilt.

So I went merrily on my way, sewing and when I turned the quilt over..I

was

disappointed to see all the puckers.
SOOOOO! I spent 2 days picking out all the stitches and mumbling to

myself.

This was enough to almost make me swear off quilt making. You notice I
said, "almost". I am already plotting my next quilt...but I think this

time

I would like to try quilting in sections. I just don't seem to have the
knack of those large quilts yet, and I find them too heavy for this old

lady

to push around.

I read with interest all your posts and have picked up many friendly

URL's

and suggestions.

I think what I need is some suggestions if there is an easier way to do
this.

Thanks!
Carla

Old July 10th 03, 04:26 AM
Donna in Idaho

As you said, to each his own!! I got my method of quilt as you go as a
cross between Georgia Bonesteel and the Fanning machine quilting books.
They're not 'that' hard to understand! )

Donna (Yep, the first cutting is baled. The second cutting is being cut as
we speak. This time we're selling the hay to him outright instead of paying
him to cut, bale, stack, etc., etc!!!)

--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

Old July 10th 03, 05:23 AM
Butterfly

Hey, Miz Sairey,
DD came home with a book for DH titled

Are you READY for this.........

___Older Than Dirt___

He has the pin and does wear it on his HB--but now he has the book : )

Wore the t-shirt out long ago

Hugs
Butterfly

Old July 10th 03, 02:56 PM
frood

Well that link didn't work, (well, it worked, but didn't take me to the
right place) but my bookmarked one does:
http://www.zianet.com/scurry/quilts.html

--
Wendy (happy to oblige, ma'am)
de-fang email address to reply

Old July 12th 03, 11:07 PM
rjwhite6

Wow, you are a prolific quilter!
I really enjoyed seeing all those quilts

Old July 13th 03, 06:19 PM
Dr. Quilter

Carla,

you might be reading the posts, but you are not paying much attention!
Bad girl! )

Otherwise you would have known that you need a walking foot, that a
queen sized quilt is no way for a begginer to start, and that you
practice on other stuff before you attack your quilt!!!!

C. Mathews wrote:
Just couldn't resist telling all you lovely experienced machine quilters
about my adventures with my first attempt to machine quilt.

I went armed with my split rail pattern to the fabric shop. First of all, I
was shocked at the prices..then I was bewildered as to what to buy. After
spending an hour, and the salesgirl pulling down bolts of fabric I finally
decided on my colors. One light, one medium, and one dark. So far so good!

The cutting and piecing went well. I love doing that even though I was
intimated by the first time use of the rotary cutter. I had a brand new
machine to use and life was good!

Then a friend came over with a quilting frame and we sandwiched the Warm &
Natural, pieced top, and a sheet for the backing together, and pinned our
little hearts out.

Sounds good uh?? But wait, there is a dark side to all of this. No one told
me that a double bed size quilt would be so heavy. No one told me that I
[...]

Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens