Treat for myself

Old October 17th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ElastiGirl

Default Treat for myself

Well, after a lot of see-sawing -- I've decided on the treat for
myself... (if I announce it here then that will make it real!)

Today I MUST finish editing a literature summary for a client in Europe.
After that, I'm going to get out my Legend floor stand and set it up to
use (it's been down for about a year).

I've been doing a lot more knitting and crocheting lately (easier to do
in the car & at Dear Aunt's house when we visit her) -- but I really
want to do some stitching. I got the floor stand to help with upper-back
& neck fatigue problems AND am also doing yoga & stretching 2x per day
.... so maybe I CAN get back to stitching a lot (a few hours spread out
during the day).

EG
Old October 17th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 10/17/06 10:17 AM, "ElastiGirl" wrote:

Well, after a lot of see-sawing -- I've decided on the treat for
myself... (if I announce it here then that will make it real!)

LOL - I find that announcing here makes me actually work more effectively on
the WIP or UFO.

Today I MUST finish editing a literature summary for a client in Europe.
After that, I'm going to get out my Legend floor stand and set it up to
use (it's been down for about a year).

Good for you. My big K's stand is collapsed, in the box, and somewhere in a
storage room. Hence, an excuse for another year that the NP stocking may
not get done. OTOH, you might inspire me to find it and set it up. My Baby
Z frame has been getting a workout - carting it around the house as I sit
cross-legged in bed, the sofa, etc with it in my lap and stitch.

I've been doing a lot more knitting and crocheting lately (easier to do
in the car & at Dear Aunt's house when we visit her) -- but I really
want to do some stitching. I got the floor stand to help with upper-back
& neck fatigue problems AND am also doing yoga & stretching 2x per day
... so maybe I CAN get back to stitching a lot (a few hours spread out
during the day).

Hope your upper-back pain, etc is bettter. The stand should help with your
posture. A couple of different stitching sites have information on "healthy
stitching" exercises to take a break and help you avoid strain and fatigue.
I've seen a bunch of quilters that get this little harness kind of thing
that's essentially a small weight bag (sand?) that hangs between the
shoulder blades on the back. Has straps that your arms go thru, and I expect
helps to keep the shoulders back, prevent you from getting hunched over.
Seems like a good idea.

I can't stitch in the car - unless it's NP - and then it depends. But, I
can knit and do a lot of larger needle scarves then.

Have fun with your treat.

ellice

Old October 17th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ElastiGirl

In article ,
ellice wrote:

On 10/17/06 10:17 AM, "ElastiGirl" wrote:

**snipping**
Today I MUST finish editing a literature summary for a client in Europe.
After that, I'm going to get out my Legend floor stand and set it up to
use (it's been down for about a year).

Good for you. My big K's stand is collapsed, in the box, and somewhere in a
storage room. Hence, an excuse for another year that the NP stocking may
not get done. OTOH, you might inspire me to find it and set it up. My Baby
Z frame has been getting a workout - carting it around the house as I sit
cross-legged in bed, the sofa, etc with it in my lap and stitch.

We got a new sleeper-sofa from L.L.Bean a few weeks ago (shoot, it was
probably over a month ago) & so my old-stitching-chair is now a reading
chair in my office (I run my own business from home) AND therefore I
inherited the "most often sitting in" status for DH's heavy oak Morris
Chair. It's large enough for me to cross my legs & sit just about anyway
I want. If I put the back on the center setting, there's ample room and
on the most-upright setting, it's still long enough for my long-ish
thighs.

[...]

My body's beginning to tell me that things I could do in my 20s and 30s
aren't going to be as easy or likely in my 40s (that's okay, I'm happy
with my 40s so far -- my only b*tch -- night sweats, they've been going
on for nearly 7 years but seem to have gotten worse in the last few
months). Consistent yoga & stretching really make a difference, my
biggest impediment -- laziness -- after about 1 week DH and I feel so
great, we slack off or go on a trip and slack off. This weekend we had a
big talk with each other -- we know that it makes us feel better (sigly
better) and we know that if we slack off for even 2 days we lose
flexibility -- time to just accept it -- gotta take certain supplements
& vitamins every day AND gotta do that exercise every day.

I used to be able to cross-stitch on 36-ct LINEN in the car. NOW, I
don't even consider stitching on linen in the car. 16-ct is about as
tiny as I'm comfortable with. I even decided to do a cross-stitch design
(Marty Bell's Rocky Mountain Christmas) on needlepoint canvas so that
the holes would be easier to hit! Now I just have to better engineer a
way to keep up with lots of floss colors while in the car -- although in
the next year or so I may be getting a rather unorthodox solution -- a
SUV or minivan (not for kids, but for Dear Aunt age 74 getting to the
point where we're considering her traveling with us and the likelihood
that she's going to need a scooter at some point -- therefore, a large
vehicle).

With the stand, I can get some stitching accomplished more quickly w/
2-handed technique -- that I really like. My hope is to finish Flower
Power before I'm 50 (ha ha ha). I still love the design (I think I
started it in January 1997), but have absolutely NO IDEA where I'd hang
it or what I'd do with it. Come to think of it, if I could finish that
puppy before January 2008, that would be great too (I'd be a couple of
months short of 43) -- ain't no way that poor thing is going to become a
"finished happy dance" project by January 2007.

EG
Old October 17th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 10/17/06 11:49 AM, in article
, "ElastiGirl"
wrote:

In article ,
ellice wrote:

[...]

First - where are you? LLB has some great stuff don't they

And I get my Dad's Morris chair in the fullness of time!

Cheryl

Old October 17th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ElastiGirl

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 10/17/06 11:49 AM, in article
, "ElastiGirl"
wrote:

In article ,
ellice wrote:

[...]

We live in N Indiana right now. The Morris chair was purchased from one
of the "local" Amish furniture stores/makers -- the color of the oak was
a tiny bit off & the color of the leather wasn't in much demand -- so DH
got the chair at a discount.

The sleeper sofa ain't bad for what we paid for it. For over 2 yrs we
haven't had any way to sit next to each other while watching TV (unless
we were sitting on the bed in a hotel room)... We decided to go for
simple and quick. The cushions were REALLY firm the first week or so,
they now have softer spots from our rear-ends -- but it's still
adequate. Totally a web-site & catalog order (although one that was
discussed a great deal over quite a time period).

I'm still plugging away at that lit summ -- I know I can get it done
TODAY!
EG

The Original Little Food Jacqueline Quilting 10 August 15th 06 03:41 PM
Beryllium treat sapphire. Séimí mac Liam Jewelry 3 February 14th 06 05:15 AM
Cute trick or treat story. KJ Quilting 8 November 6th 04 03:37 PM
FREE download of "Trick or treat" cross stitch pattern in Pattern Maker Pro 4 format Misty Needlework 1 September 25th 03 11:17 AM