OT ~ Digital camera and/or scanner help needed!

Old April 16th 04, 05:08 PM
Mj

Excellent comparison! I looked at the new Nikons on CNET last night too. I
liked some of their features so I'll keep your review in mind. I'd still
like to find that perfect scanner but I don't think any of the manufacturers
realize how many people on eBay and elsewhere use a scanner for their
auction/store items. LOL!! Thanks for answering!

Mj

--
=================================
Marjean Cline - Certified Bead Enabler
"Georgia" wrote in message
I was perfectly happy with my flatbed scanner (Umax Astra 1220U) which I

got
in uh, 1998 or so, and I put up with adjusting the colors in every single
scan --until I got my digital camera. It's a Nikon Coolpix 775

Old April 16th 04, 06:03 PM
scaperchick

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:00:28 GMT, Arondelle
wrote:

The only thing I don't get, though, is why anything blue is so hard to
image. Camera or scanner, no difference. The blue just takes over the
entire image and no amount of fiddling in PhotoPaint will fix it. It
doesn't appear to be equipment failure....

Yes, same here! Can anyone shed any light on this?
Old April 16th 04, 09:27 PM
Karen_AZ

I don't see a lot of fuzziness in those particular pix, but I HAVE seen bad
cases of the "fuzzies" on many digicam pix. It drives me nuts that some
folks don't understand depth of field, or else have cameras that can't
compensate. I play with F-stops repeatedly, depending on whether I'm
shooting a single bead closeup or a set. I want everything to be as crisp as
possible.

KarenK

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Georgia"
:

]this is a pretty-good-for a-scanner scanner image:
]http://bead-designs.com/assets/carnelian%20bali%20set%20detail.jpg
]This is a digital camera image:
]http://bead-designs.com/assets/carndrop03.jpg

actually, **to my eyes** the scanner picture is clearer. in the
camera image, the beads tend to get fuzzy on the edges. but again,
that's just me!

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
newest creations: http://www.vickijean.com/new.html
-----------
and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.

Old April 17th 04, 01:41 AM
armand vine

I have a sony cybershot DSCS70 that is about 5 yrs old and the macro works
pretty well. you can buy the same model #, smaller body now, cycles faster,
etc for about one third what I paid. It is a 3.3 megapixel, which most write
ups say is enough. I have a friend who does his own catalog, glossy the
whole nine yards and he uses a 5 megapixel and photoshop 7.
I still can't get the hang of PS4, BUT I am colorblind so I am "shooting in
the dark" so to speak, looking at clarity and definition mostly. Kerry
checks the colors and adjusts them.

Old April 17th 04, 08:15 PM
Carla

"Mj" wrote in message

My old scanner allowed me to set up the whole scanner bed with beads
and then I could scan individual 'jobs' directly into PSP. At least that
way I could lay out 6-8 strands of beads and scan them in about 5 minutes
and then go to PSP to refine, color correct and crop the scans.

Don't know if this has been covered already. I use an HP scanner with
PSP. I cover the glass with pieces and scan it all as one large image
into PSP, then work from that image, cropping out the individual pieces,
using "cut", then "paste as new image".

Might that work for you, or do you need to do something different?

Cheers,
Carla

Old April 18th 04, 01:56 AM
Kandice Seeber

There's a bunch of info on different cameras in Bead Notes -
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html - then scroll down to Photography.

I have a FujiFilm Finepix 2600 Zoom. I love it, but it only has 2.0
megapixels and is a couple of years old, so I might upgrade soon. I am
staying in the FujiFilm line though, because I really like it. Easy to use,
small, has a variety of settings, a macro and is easy to hook into the
computer (via USB). I use Paint Shop Pro for my pic editing. I've
developed a system to take pics that works and is pretty fast. And my pics
are pretty decent, I think.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

I've gotten to the end of my rope with my search for a reasonably priced
scanner that's easy to use and produces decent scans of the beads I sell

on
eBay. I thought I'd solicit recommendations from anyone who absolutely
LOVES your scanner. Also, I might just throw in the towel with the

scanner
and switch to a digital camera, but the camera has to have a top notch

macro
feature that allows extreme close-ups. I have an older Olympus that

doesn't
quite do the job I need. Anyone out there who just swoons over the
performance of their digital camera?? If so, why?

I use PaintShop Pro to fine tune any images, so image manipulation

software
is really secondary. I've gotten to the point where I dread doing the

scans
for new items because it's become such a pain in the a$$. I still have
stuff I bought in Tucson that I haven't listed yet because I just don't

want
to deal with the scanner. Anyone want to have a go at this??

Please?!?!?!?

Mj
--
=================================

Old April 18th 04, 02:45 AM
Kandice Seeber

I've shared it sooooo many times.... Let me see if I can quote it from other
posts...
Oh, yes - found one! I edited this a little, because I have changed my
settings recently for even better pics.

"Here's what I do to get the pics I have:

Fujifilm FinePix 2600Zoom.

Set on manual, no flash, macro on, EV +0.6, white balance is 3.
Then, I had my hubby make me up a wooden frame. It's hard to describe, so I
will post a photo of it. This is an ultra crappy photo, but you get the
idea.

http://airandearth.netfirms.com/lighting.jpg

On the sides I stapled off-white fabric - you might want white, but I like
the softer look. The lights are positioned over the subject. Sometimes I
get a little glare in the pics, but this can be avoided usually by
positioning the beads just right, and by snapping the pic from an angle.

To avoid blurry photos, you have to have a real steady hand, use the zoom
all the away up, and get about 4-5 inches from the beads. Make sure the
camera focuses before snapping the picture.
The camera manual has a lot of tips in it to help get your pics clear.

To balance color, I use Paint Shop Pro. I resize the pic first, to the size
I want it to be in the end. Then I use the Colors:Adjust: menu to get the
colors just right. I will hold up the beads or jewelry to compare color so
I know its right - at least on my monitor.

I also use the Effects menu - Sharpen and Clarify.

I use two sheets of white paper for the background. I used to use grey
velveteen, but I like a white background better. When you snap the picture,
the background won't be completely white - you can fix this in Paint Shop
Pro, but selecting the Colors:Adjust:Color Balance menu, selecting
Highlights, and then adjusting the slider bars to pull the background color
out.

Taking good pics is a lot of work, but totally worth it. And there are some
things that just won't come out right, no matter what you do. Takes a lot
of practice, believe me. My first pics with this camera were terrible. But
you'll get it eventually, and then it will be easier from there. Once you
have your settings right, and have a routine down, taking pics will go
pretty fast."

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

I've developed a system to take pics that works and is pretty fast.

Would it be ok to share? 'Cause as much as I LOVE taking
pictures of my beads now, sometimes "faster" CAN be better!

And my pics
are pretty decent, I think.

Yup, I think, too! Not just "pretty decent," but grrrreat!

--
Fran
~My eBay, if you'd like to visit: http://snipurl.com/56qt

Old April 18th 04, 03:01 AM
Mj

Your photos are *always* wonderful, Kandice! And I thought I had looked at
the Bead Notes before I asked everyone here and didn't find what I was
looking for. I'll put the Fuji line on my list to compare later this
weekend. Plus I'm copying and saving the info you left in your reply to
Fran. I Googled the group for info too but couldn't seem to come up with
the discussions that had that info. It was driving me crazy 'cause I
usually can find the stuff I remembered seeing. (

Thanks again for helping out!

Mj

--
=================================

Old April 18th 04, 06:20 AM
Kandice Seeber

OMG - I wish!! LOL
No problem, Fran.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

.... I just thought
there was some kind of mechanized gadget that made picture
taking more of a snap.

Thanks for taking the time to post this once again,
Kandice!

Old April 18th 04, 06:39 AM
Shirley Shone

Thanks Kandice. I have printed this off.
I have a Fujifilm FinePix 6800Zoom.

It is always to hand. I got a great shot of the first butterfly of
spring the other day.
I have copied the picture of your light box and will try to make one up.
Thanks
Shirley

In message , Kandice Seeber
writes
[...]

Got our digital camera - beadwork to show and tell Marisa Cappetta Beads 11 January 10th 04 11:28 AM
Digital Camera Advice Gennie Beads 8 October 19th 03 08:07 PM
Taking pics of beadwork: Advice Needed VManes Beads 12 October 1st 03 04:48 PM