Hello!

Old May 8th 04, 03:42 PM
Krysia Thompson

Default Hello!

Hello everybody,

I am a pernnial lurker...on many groups )
I have been nugded by a couple of people from this groups to come
out, s to speak...i like lurkdom, but I have been asked for help
and am a bit stuck

however, as the etiquette has it something about me first.

I am Krysia, a Pole that has lived in the UK for longer now than
in Poland (25 years this year), one husband, 2 big children (one
has flown the nest, the younger one says she never will...), one
dog , one fish, one hamster, some snails.....spiders which I
love.

My main obsession is quilting , though I have been knitting for
much much longer (like 40 years), same goes for crochet, BUT i
have been sweing for almost as long (it's just that came into
quilting late in life )) ).

at the moment i am trying to finish some quilts, make a couple of
baby quilts, have one knitted but abandoned cardigan, another
half of one - aslo and UFO and am knitting another one, with
quite a bit of ebay wool winging its way to me soon I hope , to
add to the already groaning cupboard whose door won't shut it's
so full of yarn and fabric.

I am also lapsing in my writing (on request and demand!) of an
instructional book on quilting in Polish...one day I WILL finish
it. but maybe not today ))

that's me - now my question - a friend has bought some wool which
she wants to dye . the yarn is 40% alpaca, 20% wool and 40%
acrylic.the yarn was supposed to be green (that's what it looked
like in the picture) but is more tourquoise and she wants to dye
it black.

any suggestions?
the sources of dye or kinds of suitable dye must be available in
the uk please.

hope to join in the fun from time to time, as from my reading of
this newsgroup, you do have lots of it....and you have sometimes
even more OT topics than the quilting newsgroup....possibly ))

cheers

Krysia

K.T. - starannie opakowana
Old May 8th 04, 04:07 PM
Katherine

Welcome, Krysia.
I can't help you with your dyeing question, but we have many people who do
that, and I am sure that someone will answer.
Katherine

Old May 8th 04, 05:00 PM
Mischief

Krysia

Welcome to the group. We are very friendly so don't be afraid to ask
questions. I'm sorry I can't help you with the dying of the wool.

Darlene in Toronto
members.rogers.com/craftkitten

Sent using Virtual Access 5.51 - download your freeware copy now
http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

Old May 8th 04, 06:15 PM
Aud

Hello, Krysia!
Glad to see you, and welcome!
I cannot answer the dying question properly,
but the colores I have used here in Norway,
is for natural fibres.If the yarn has other/artificial fibres,
the dye will not fasten on "that part".
But many others here are experts on the subject,
and may be they have advice on coloures
which fasten on every "mix" of fibres?
Warm greetings from a summerday in Norway!
(It's going to be winter again tomorrow night, they say! LOL!)
AUD ;-))
alrefsnesathotmaildotcom
http://community.webshots.com/user/dual44

Old May 8th 04, 06:34 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Krysia,

Welcome to the great group and please come out of lurkdom more often. As you
know we love new people and try to help make them feel at home. I'm sorry I'm
another one who can't answer your question, but Slinky, Els or Helen may be
able to help you.

Nora
Old May 8th 04, 06:43 PM
Krysia Thompson

On 8 May 2004 10:15:27 -0700, (Aud) wrote:

Hello, Krysia!
Glad to see you, and welcome!
I cannot answer the dying question properly,
but the colores I have used here in Norway,
is for natural fibres.If the yarn has other/artificial fibres,
the dye will not fasten on "that part".
But many others here are experts on the subject,
and may be they have advice on coloures
which fasten on every "mix" of fibres?
Warm greetings from a summerday in Norway!
(It's going to be winter again tomorrow night, they say! LOL!)
AUD ;-))
alrefsnesathotmaildotcom
http://community.webshots.com/user/dual44

there are years over here that people say that they missed summer
as they overslept )) at the moment we have grim, autumn-like
weather in the N-E England, thank goddess for the greenery and
the flowers in the garden, otherwise I wouldn't know what the
season was!

Krysia
K.T. - starannie opakowana
Old May 8th 04, 09:00 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Hallo Krysia
what a lovely name
mirjam

Old May 8th 04, 10:37 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Sat, 08 May 2004 15:42:18 +0100, Krysia Thompson wrote:

[...]

Nazdrowie, Krysia, and welcome welcome welcome.
I'm Noreen, and half pole, my mother speaks it fluently!
Hugs,
Noreen, in central Tennessee, USA.... "near" Nashville, the home of country
music.
Old May 8th 04, 10:41 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Sat, 08 May 2004 20:00:58 GMT, Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:

Hallo Krysia
what a lovely name
mirjam

I agree!!
It IS a pretty name... how do you pronounce it? Does the Polish and English
pronunciation *differ*????
Noreen
Old May 8th 04, 11:24 PM
Krysia Thompson

On Sat, 8 May 2004 16:41:21 -0500, Noreen's Knit*che
wrote:

On Sat, 08 May 2004 20:00:58 GMT, Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:

Hallo Krysia
what a lovely name
mirjam

I agree!!
It IS a pretty name... how do you pronounce it? Does the Polish and English
pronunciation *differ*????
Noreen

well, thank you kindly for the compliment!
it's pronounced "krisha"...too close to "krishna" for comfort
or Tricia!!

Polish and English pronounciations differ a lot - we have just
one "ee" sound...and to a Polish ear it makes no difference
whether you say "ee" or "i", like in ship or sheet - makes no
difference whether you use "ee" or "i"...so you can...YOU CAN
imagine the embarrassment of sheep sailing across the sea or
asking for a sh...of paper. these are true examples!!!!

another horror to a Pole is the "th" sounds....on the other hand
the rest of the world have difficulties with chrzaszcz,
Szczebrzeszyn and the like )))

Krysia
K.T. - starannie opakowana