Discussion topic: Aggrevating/irritating projects

Old July 18th 03, 03:09 PM
NoraBalcer

Allaya,

Is your pineapple knit or crochet? I love doing them, but the first time was a
challange as the directions were wrong.

Hugs,

Nora
Old July 21st 03, 03:55 PM
Lucille

I have an afghan started from a book called "The Great American Afghan."
There are 60 squares, all different, and most of them very advanced
stitches. I've finished about 10 so far and can't seem to get back to it.
I suppose it's going to sit around in my project tray forever. Maybe
someday I'll just pick it up and either finish it or dump it.

I don't usually dump my projects--I just keep them forever. For example,
when I was going through my stuff recently I found an embroidered tablecloth
half done, very neatly folded with the thread and all. I'm embarrassed to
say the instructions are dated 1974. Oh well, maybe the finishing fairies
will come in some day and do it.

Lucille

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Every now and than a project doesn`t want to be finnished , i pick it
up work alittle and ,,,,, it schleps from one period to another ,,
making usual one piece knits /crochets which usuall is a great
advantage , is the great problem in such a case ,,, this wholeness
becomes boring or something i don`t like anymore ,,,,,
So i can`t point a finger and say This is a work , the work i didn`t
like ,,,, it is a versatile as a project i like ,,,,, I move on in
life and so do my `likes` and dislikes to works ,,,
mirjam

Hi group!
What project currently or in recent memory drove you nuts?
Hugs,
Noreen

**I personally don't have an answer, I need to think about it.
Noreen**

Old July 22nd 03, 12:54 AM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:55:27 GMT, "Lucille" wrote:

I have an afghan started from a book called "The Great American Afghan."
There are 60 squares, all different, and most of them very advanced
stitches. I've finished about 10 so far and can't seem to get back to it.
I suppose it's going to sit around in my project tray forever. Maybe
someday I'll just pick it up and either finish it or dump it.

Or do a pillowghan. If the squares are suitable size, 10 is just right. You
do a 3 x 3 array, then sew the 10th on top of the bottom center square
with the side toward the center square open The whole thing folds up into
that pocket, and when it's open the pocket is just right for the feet. If
the squares are smaller, donate them to Warm Up America.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old July 22nd 03, 05:31 AM
Shillelagh

"Lucille" wrote in message
. ..
I have an afghan started from a book called "The Great American Afghan."
There are 60 squares, all different, and most of them very advanced
stitches. I've finished about 10 so far and can't seem to get back to it.
I suppose it's going to sit around in my project tray forever. Maybe
someday I'll just pick it up and either finish it or dump it.

Lucille, I would love to do that afghan! I have been admiring that book and
was thinking of asking for it for Christmas. I wonder if there's any point
in trying to find it in a used book store.

Shelagh

Old July 22nd 03, 11:06 AM
Sue Carlson Dunn

I'd have to say that it's the same cross-stitch picture that appears
in the "satisfying projects" thread! It has 115 colours, and some of
them are just single stitches in amongst others. This isn't so bad
when it's just one or two stitches in a block of another shade, but
when there are 25 different symbols in a 10x10 stitches block it gets
a bit confusing. Last night I misread one of the symbols and ended up
having to pull out most of the evening's work (sounds of gnashing
teeth, greets and wails... )
--
Sue CD...quietly unravelling in Cumbria...
Pot Luck Crafts www.howhill.com

Old July 22nd 03, 12:18 PM
Claire

I have a book a bit like that which I bought in Walmart a couple of years
ago. It has 63 different stitches in it and I began it this weekend as a
change from knitting. I haven't crocheted for about twenty years and have
already flung the work across the room several times. My chap keeps
muttering things about how handicrafts are meant to be helping me relax but
shuts up quickly when he gets *that* look. The annoying thing is, I'm stuck
on the first square! After much swearing (thank goodness the baby hasn't
started talking yet, could do without her repeating some of that in front of
her grandparents!) I looked on the internet for help (I've been collecting
links from you guys and saving them in my browser) I've discovered that I've
been doing single crochet totally wrong since I began crocheting at the age
of eight! Also holding the hook and yarn all wrong! No wonder it was so slow
and awkward after knitting. Am having to take deep breaths (not easy as The
Bump in kicking like a donkey) and re-learn how to do things right. The
moral to this story? I've no idea!

Claire

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

. ..

Old July 22nd 03, 12:31 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Apropos Pillowgahan , somebody here told me she took a calss and a
woman Claimed it was her invention ,,,can you believe that ??? the
cheekiness,,,,
mirjam

Old July 22nd 03, 02:44 PM
Katherine Burgess

"Shillelagh" wrote...

"Lucille" wrote
I have an afghan started from a book called "The Great American Afghan."
There are 60 squares, all different, and most of them very advanced
stitches. I've finished about 10 so far and can't seem to get back to

it.
I suppose it's going to sit around in my project tray forever. Maybe
someday I'll just pick it up and either finish it or dump it.

Lucille, I would love to do that afghan! I have been admiring that book

and
was thinking of asking for it for Christmas. I wonder if there's any

point
in trying to find it in a used book store.

I saw it in a used book store this summer, but didn't buy it. I am not much
of an afghan knitter, and I have more patterns than I will use. That being
said, I have three on needles as I type. g
Katherine

Old July 22nd 03, 04:00 PM
NoraBalcer

Sue,

I wondered about that when I got the colors, so many were so close. That was
also the way when I did my kit with 96 colors, but it was worth it when it was
done.

Hugs,

Nora
Old July 22nd 03, 04:01 PM
NoraBalcer

Claire,

Come on back here and we'll help you with the crocheting. I know it can be
frustrating at time especially when you see that what you thought was right was
wrong. Been there, done that.

Hugs,

Nora