Suggestions for cutting large numbers of strips

Old June 27th 04, 04:52 PM
FtForger

Default Suggestions for cutting large numbers of strips

I took in a lot of the information about the neck chillers and started
to make some. I made 8 on the first run, and took them to a
blacksmithing workship I went to. Even though it was not above 70
degrees, and there was a nice breeze blowing, I still sold 5 of the 8.

I need to make a lot more, and don't want to spend hours measuring and
cutting strips. Has anyone got any ideas for cutting out a large number
of strips fairly quickly? I've got three different fabrics, one a bit
wider than the other two. I was thinking of perhaps laying them out in
a stack and cutting three strips at a time, but I'm not sure my shears
are up to it (fairly inexpensive Fiskars). I know I should invest in a
rotary cutter and make myself a straight edge longer than the widest
fabric, but that won't help today...

Old June 27th 04, 05:53 PM
Atom1

If you're serious about sewing vs dabbling, you need to invest in the
proper equipment, it makes all the difference. The rotary cutter is a
Godsend for those with arthritis or other maladies. Of course you also NEED
good shears too- your hands will be grateful. I say this from experience
and one who doesn't like to buy needless stuff-takes up valuable stash real
estate and money.
ciao,
Michelle

Old June 27th 04, 06:31 PM
FtForger

Yes, I know I do. Its just a matter of immediate cash flow. I'm
currently feeding 8 people (6 adults, and 2 teenaged boys) and
helping my daughter-in-law feed and clothe (and diaper etc) my
granddaughter. So cash gets a bit tight. I'm hoping that the
neck chillers can make me enough extra to get the rotary cutter
and a suitable mat. First I have to get a bunch made...

Old June 27th 04, 07:08 PM
Maureen Wozniak

For easy of cutting sdtrips you really should invest in a rotary cutter,
mat, and ruler. I'd use a JoAnn's coupon to take away some of the
sticker shock.

Old June 27th 04, 08:04 PM
Jean Péloquin

"FtForger" a écrit dans le message de

Has anyone got any ideas for cutting out a large number
of strips fairly quickly?

You should not follow any of the following advice under any circumstance.:

- Make several layers of the the fabric (5 to 10).
- Mark the top layer to the dimensions you require
- Use a straight wood plank as a guide ( or something similar)
put a much pressure on it as needed to make sure it doesn't move.
- Make the first cut using an exacto knife with a fresh blade
- Move the guide and ....

It you were to follow this method, which you shouldn't, you probably would
want to change the knife blade frequently.

but since you shouldn't try this it doesn't realy mather.

Jean P

Old June 27th 04, 08:04 PM
Poohma

"FtForger" wrote in message

I took in a lot of the information about the neck chillers and started
to make some. I made 8 on the first run, and took them to a
blacksmithing workship I went to. Even though it was not above 70
degrees, and there was a nice breeze blowing, I still sold 5 of the 8.

I need to make a lot more, and don't want to spend hours measuring and
cutting strips. Has anyone got any ideas for cutting out a large number
of strips fairly quickly? I've got three different fabrics, one a bit
wider than the other two. I was thinking of perhaps laying them out in
a stack and cutting three strips at a time, but I'm not sure my shears
are up to it (fairly inexpensive Fiskars). I know I should invest in a
rotary cutter and make myself a straight edge longer than the widest
fabric, but that won't help today...

I know you can't do it right now, but as soon as possible you might want to
consider a Salem strip cutter:

http://www.softexpressions.com/Merch...tegory_Code=3b

I have one of these that I use for bias strips so I don't have to measure
out. It's kind of slow as far as setting up, but it works for me.

Meanwhile, you might take a piece of corrugated cardboard or heavy plastic
and measure out your strip widths, cut out the lines to within an inch of
the ends, and draw them onto your fabric like a stencil. Pin the layers of
your fabric and then cut.

___________________
| |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
|__________________|

--
The Vegas Beth P
(STILL missing Georgia)

Old June 27th 04, 11:42 PM
Kate Dicey

FtForger wrote:

I took in a lot of the information about the neck chillers and started
to make some. I made 8 on the first run, and took them to a
blacksmithing workship I went to. Even though it was not above 70
degrees, and there was a nice breeze blowing, I still sold 5 of the 8.

I need to make a lot more, and don't want to spend hours measuring and
cutting strips. Has anyone got any ideas for cutting out a large number
of strips fairly quickly? I've got three different fabrics, one a bit
wider than the other two. I was thinking of perhaps laying them out in
a stack and cutting three strips at a time, but I'm not sure my shears
are up to it (fairly inexpensive Fiskars). I know I should invest in a
rotary cutter and make myself a straight edge longer than the widest
fabric, but that won't help today...

Buy a cutting mat, a rotary cutter, and a quilting ruler - as big one,
24 1/2" by 6 1/2". Then all you need to do is stack up several layers
of fabric and slice them off in one go. We quilters do this all the
time for quilt pieces large and small. I have 16 poly satin waistbands
to cut, in 3 sizes, tomorrow, and this is how I shall do them.

The equipment is pricey, but will save so much time and effort, and will
come in so handy for all sorts of other sewing projects, that it will
soon pay for itself.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old June 28th 04, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 15:52:28 GMT, FtForger wrote:
I need to make a lot more, and don't want to spend hours measuring and
cutting strips. Has anyone got any ideas for cutting out a large number
of strips fairly quickly? I've got three different fabrics, one a bit

If you can spare the fabric, it's a woven cotton or cotton/poly blend, and
assuming you want a 2" wide tube finished, measure along the selvage
and put a dot of ink every 5.5". Snip through the selvage at the dot,
along the crossgrain of the fabric. Rip the fabric on the crossgrain
to the other selvage, and snip through the selvage. Sew your tube with
3/4" seams (which will take up the distortion of tearing the fabric).

BTW, Fiskars should be able to handle three thicknesses of "quilt fabric"
with no problem. If you decide to cut and need a cutting line, the edge
of a much-used bar of soap drawn along a straightedge works well. So
does a soft (B) pencil.

Kay

Old June 28th 04, 09:04 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

The rotary cutter and mat are the best bet, but try to buy them used if cash
flow is a problem. I don't know if your local radio station has a "swap &
shop" but that is one suggestion. I picked up one for a friend for $20
(both the large mat and cutter)! Years later, I'm regretting not keeping it
for a spare for myself....
Otherwise, putting weights on your fabric to hold it in place and having at
all three layers at once with your Fiskars should not be a problem. More
time consuming than the rotary though.
I go in fits and starts - sometimes I use the rotary almost exclusively and
other times it's the shears.
Cynthia

Old June 28th 04, 08:41 PM
Karen M.

FtForger wrtote:
I took in a lot of the information about the neck chillers and started
to make some. I made 8 on the first run, and took them to a
blacksmithing workship I went to. Even though it was not above 70
degrees, and there was a nice breeze blowing, I still sold 5 of the 8.

I need to make a lot more, and don't want to spend hours measuring and
cutting strips. Has anyone got any ideas for cutting out a large number
of strips fairly quickly? I've got three different fabrics, one a bit
wider than the other two. I was thinking of perhaps laying them out in
a stack and cutting three strips at a time, but I'm not sure my shears
are up to it (fairly inexpensive Fiskars). I know I should invest in a
rotary cutter and make myself a straight edge longer than the widest
fabric, but that won't help today...

I always rip mine. My SM and work tables all have self-adhesive
measuring tapes along the edges. Snip every 4" along the selvedge, and
rip away.
You can assign good help to assist with this. I'm pretty sure that
I already posted about my older niece losing track of things
(undiagnosed ADD, in her skeptical aunt's opinion) and ripping some
cloth the wrong way (i.e. along selvedge, rather than across it). So a
brief training session can't hurt.

--Karen M.
making some of Union Jack fabric for a British car show