tension problem

Old May 3rd 04, 10:50 PM
Shona in NZ

Default tension problem

Howdy all,

DH, who insisted using a sewing machine was a "pink" job is having to learn
how to sew for work (Bwaaaahhaaaaa). He rang me in absolute frustration
yesterday because he could not get the tension on the work machine to work
properly.

Since I haven't a clue about tension (never had to worry about it!) I told
him I would ask here. The particulars a

Machine is a Singer Capri model GL 330 (number on the side is N/457/GL330).
Problem is bottom stitch is loose (top stitch looks fine) and occasionally
the bottom becomes a tangled wad of thread.
He has tried adjusting the tension but he can't seem to get the bottom
stitch to not be "loopy"

Any help you can offer would be great. I reckon the machine is in serious
need of servicing (probably never been done) but DH's boss is a bit loathed
to spend money on such frivolity!

Thanks!
Shona thinking DH having to learn how to sew is a huge laugh in NZ

Old May 3rd 04, 11:07 PM
Julia Altshuler

I don't understand tension from a mechanic's point of view, only a home
sewer's, but you said any help at all would be great so here goes.

Tension problems go into 2 major categories: those you can adjust from
home because there's nothing wrong with the machine and those you need
someone who knows what they're doing to look at.

If you're doing this at home, you can adjust the tension 2 ways: from
the top and from the bobbin. Loops on the bottom mean that the top
tension is too low or the bobbin tension is too tight. Always start
with the top since that's easy and done all the time. Make the number
go higher on whatever sort of dial gadget your machine has. Doesn't
work? Try tightening the screw on the bobbin case by turning it to the
right. (Righty=tighty, lefty=loosey.) Check the machine manual to see
if there's something obvious giving you no tension, something like
knowing that the presser foot has to be down or the machine threaded a
certain way. You can do everything in this paragraph without damaging
the machine or its warranty.

If that doesn't work, you may have to go to a sewing machine fixer with
experience. There are probably more things that person will check, but
here are the things I know about. Thread that's been treated with stuff
to make it smooth for handsewing can goop up the tension disks. The
mechanic might take them apart and clean them. She might also take them
apart and clean other accumulated gunk from them. The entire tension
doohicky on top might need replacement. That screw on the bobbin case
that you tightened earlier might have lost its threading through
constant adjustment. It might need to be replaced.

--Lia

Old May 3rd 04, 11:09 PM
Lisa Caryl

Shona,
When he makes tenson adjustments, tell him to make sure that the presser
foot lever is up, not down. When it's down, the tension disks are engaged,
and changes to the tension wont "take" on most brands of sewing machines.

He should try changing the tension about a half step each time he makes a
change. If possible, he sould test on a fabric sample that's the same weight
as the project he will be sewing.

Also, have him make sure that the bobin is threaded correctly. Should the
bobbin be spinning to the right? or the left? The manual should indicate
that.

There are other things to check as well, such as if he's using an old needle
that may have a burr, or if it's the incorrect type of needle for the job.
I would also have him check to make sure the machine isn't full of lint.
I'm sure others will have ideas for you too. Good luck!
--
Lisa Caryl
http://www.picturetrails.com/quiltygurl

remove the obvious to reply

Old May 3rd 04, 11:16 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Mess on the back generally means a problem with tension on the top.

That said, if the machine has been neglected I'd say, clean the darn
thing first. Unscrew the plate over the feeddogs and sweep away the
lint pad that is more than likely there. Dust out the bobbin area and
give it a happy drop of oil.

Check for lint balls, dust bunnies, gopher guts and bits of thread
tangled where it shouldn't be. Also look around for pin bits or needle
shards.

Put in a new needle. If it's old and tired it won't sew well and
needles are cheap. Make sure the size and weight of needle fits the job
- a nice silk needle won't do well on say heavy denim ;-)

Thread it up right and sew on a scrap of whatever he is using for the
work project. Adjust tension and sew more, keep adjusting (only one
thing at a time) and see if there is any improvement.

Hope he gets things fixed up. Tension problems can cause tension in the
user too ;-)

Oh, tell him he needs chocolate for himself.

marcella

Old May 4th 04, 12:30 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Shona in NZ" wrote:

[...]

Is he sure the bobbin is threaded securely into the bobbin case? I had
that same problem not too long ago and was amazed to find that the
thread had slipped out of the bobbin case clip!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old May 4th 04, 12:36 AM
Shona in NZ

Like I need to encourage him! He has taken 'my' birthday cake to work and I
have to hide 'my' chocolate from him. We are talking about a man who says
chocolate will go mouldy and ice cream will go off if not eaten within a few
days.

Shona who is a chocolate hider in NZ

[gentle snip]

Old May 4th 04, 02:22 AM
Polly Esther

You all have given Shona great advice - but I just couldn't get past the
Bwaaaahhaaaaa part. I am enjoying his experience so much. Yes, I am. My DH
always feels obligated to give me advice on how to solve my computer's
problems - this from a man who doesn't even grasp the notion that you must
click "Start" to turn the @#$! thing off. Polly

Old May 4th 04, 02:33 AM
Julia Altshuler

Shona in NZ wrote:

Machine is a Singer Capri model GL 330 (number on the side is N/457/GL330).
Problem is bottom stitch is loose (top stitch looks fine) and occasionally
the bottom becomes a tangled wad of thread.

I just reread your post and think I have something useful to say. The
clue is the "occasionally." If the screw on the bobbin case is wobbling
in and out, you'd get an occasional loopy mess. When it retightens, all
is well with the world. The same goes with the top. Even something
like humidity could do that.

--Lia

Old May 4th 04, 02:58 AM
Shona in NZ

Snorfle

Shona having a good giggle on DH's behalf in NZ

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...
You all have given Shona great advice - but I just couldn't get past the
Bwaaaahhaaaaa part. I am enjoying his experience so much. Yes, I am. My DH
always feels obligated to give me advice on how to solve my computer's
problems - this from a man who doesn't even grasp the notion that you must
click "Start" to turn the @#$! thing off. Polly

Rug braiding problem Frankenmel General Crafting 0 February 3rd 04 05:44 AM
Quick sewing machine tension question Kathy Applebaum Quilting 2 January 31st 04 10:29 PM
Help! Tension problems? Cina Quilting 11 December 17th 03 11:53 PM
Fiskars, was Rotary cutter problem - revisited Jennifer Hepworth Quilting 2 July 21st 03 04:53 AM