a *hat/cap/tam* thread:

Old March 19th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Default a *hat/cap/tam* thread:

Yes, I think I've found something my teenage niece and nefews would
like, dontcha think?

Hesira

On Mar 18, 7:11 pm, "YarnWright" wrote:

KEW-EL!
Noreen

--http://www.lulu.com/yarnwrighthttp://yarnwright.etsy.comhttp://yarnwright.comhttp://noreensknitche.comhttp://noreensknitche.weblogs.ushttp://optional-knitting.comhttp://yarnscapes.com
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 000725-0, 03/19/2007
Tested: 3/18/2007 7:10:58 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006http://www.avast.com

Old March 20th 07, 08:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article . com,
Katherine wrote:

I WANT a tam pattern, but a very specific one. You know
those two-colour candy - usually white and some other
colour? THey are like circles, with stripes going from the
centre out or vice versa. The other day, while looking out
of my window, I saw a woman walk by and she was wearing
one of them. It looked great, and I really want to knit one,
but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do it.
I don't know if I should do intarsia or fair isle.

Unless the stripes are very thin indeed, fair isle would
have really wide areas for the yarn to be carried across.
Intarsia could be done, but it would be a lot easier to
do a provisional cast-on and knit short-rows to make the
two colors of segments, and graft the end to the beginning
to complete the circle.

The simplest way to do the shaping is to knit the top flat
that way, and then pick up from the edge and knit the tube
part downward. It would be possible but trickier to do
short rows in both directions from the stitch that will
be the edge of the tam, so that the stripes continue and
you make the underside of the tam at the same time as you
knit the top.

=Tamar