Knitting in pub picture

Old November 19th 03, 05:28 PM
Shillelagh

"Karen MN" wrote in message
Got an email from Better Homes & Gardens about the pictu

"The photo you are referring to in our Knit It! magazine is what we call
stock photography. We purchased this photo from a company called
Bettman/Corbis; the serial number is CA003069. Any further information

you
wish can be derived from their website: www.corbis.com"

Karen in MN

Aha!!! I just viewed the picture, and that's the one that was in the book I
had borrowed from the library. Here's the info on the picture.....

Photographer: E.O. Hoppe
Date Photographed: 1932
Location Information: Jolly Sailor's Inn, Cornwall, England, UK

Way to go Karen.

Shelagh

Old November 19th 03, 05:42 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "Karen MN"
wrote:

Good morning Karen:

I have gone to Corbus' website, and printed a small size image of your
knitting man. There is a watermark on it to stop you from using it
commercially. I will mail it out to you.

Stock photography is used a lot in the advertising industry. There are
many oulets selling pictures of practibally anything. (after I retired
from my research job with an advertising company in toronto, I brought
home several of these old stock books, they are great when you need good
ideas for a design)

This photo was made in the Jolly Sailors Inn in Cornwall England. The
photographer is, or I assume was, E.O. Hoppe. This picture was taking in
1932. I assume that Corbis bought the rights to sell this picture to
anyone who is interested in using this image of a knitting (I would say
sailor).

I am sure that you can get a good copy from Corbis.

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old November 19th 03, 05:44 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:06:04 -0600, "Karen MN" wrote:

Helen, for some reason, I can get to the site, but not to the picture -- I
think I don't have something enabled, like maybe javascript, or maybe my
firewall doesn't like it. Does it say anything about when it was taken?
I'm curious about whether it's really an older photograph, or if it just
looks old because it's in black and white. Whatever it is, I think it's a
great picture!

Karen in MN

Yes it says :
Photographer: E.O. Hoppe
Date Photographed: 1932
Location Information: Jolly Sailor's Inn, Cornwall, England, UK

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old November 20th 03, 01:05 AM
Laurie

You guys rock! You found it! Isn't it a cool picture? Now that I
have some information I can search for a way to buy that picture.
Corbis looked like they would make it kind of hard. We'll see...

How ironic that the E.O. Hoppe trust is right in my old neighborhood
in Pasadena CA! I might have been able to get it there.

Thanks guys!

Laurie
Washougal, WA
Old November 20th 03, 03:40 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:

Laurie wrote
there is a great picture of a couple old grizzled men in a pub
and one is knitting. More than anything I want a large print of that
picture. I'm sure I bookmarked that site but I have ended up
bookmarking practically every site I see so I've lost it.

OHHH Laurie i would LOVE ADORE Jump to get such a picture ,
where can one get it ??? also there are some nice ,, Droolingly nice
pictures about knitting herders i would love to have ,,,
ahhhhhh

Are you referring to the drawings of the shepherds in France near the
Bay of Biscay? I once saw an engraving of one knitting while standing
on stilts.

=Tamar
Old November 20th 03, 06:47 AM
CMM PDX2

Karen, thanks for posting the info - that's a *great* pic!

Of course, now I'm imagining the bewilderment of the Corbis co. checking their
webpage stats, what with all of us going and looking at it. gg "Why is *this*
one popular all of a sudden?" Hee.

Monica
CMMPDX2 at aol
remove 'eat.spam' to email me
---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
Old November 20th 03, 07:23 AM
Jaime

wrote:

http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Helen, for some reason, I can get to the site, but not to the picture -- I
think I don't have something enabled, like maybe javascript, or maybe my
firewall doesn't like it. Does it say anything about when it was taken?
I'm curious about whether it's really an older photograph, or if it just
looks old because it's in black and white. Whatever it is, I think it's a
great picture!

The info on the page said the photo was taken in 1938.

http://community.webshots.com/user/miss_jaime