Verging off topic - pattern/directions humbug bag

Old November 15th 08, 01:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Verging off topic - pattern/directions humbug bag

I thought I had a link or pdf of how to construct a humbug bag. But I can't
find it. SO, I googled and googled and can't find either the link I had or a
decent pattern.

HELP - I need a quick and simple gift for a friend's b'day gift.....

Cheyrl

Old November 15th 08, 02:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 11/15/08 8:41 AM, in article
, "anne"
wrote:

says...
I thought I had a link or pdf of how to construct a humbug bag. But I can't
find it. SO, I googled and googled and can't find either the link I had or a
decent pattern.

HELP - I need a quick and simple gift for a friend's b'day gift.....

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.quiltcentraltv.com/prodsh...?p_id=qw-00042

Yes - but I had had a "free" (online) pattern for one and it seems to have
disappeared off my hard drive....

Old November 15th 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 08:17:57 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
opined:

I thought I had a link or pdf of how to construct a humbug bag. But I can't
find it. SO, I googled and googled and can't find either the link I had or a
decent pattern.

HELP - I need a quick and simple gift for a friend's b'day gift.....

Cheyrl

You are in need of help Cheyrl ! What on earth is a humbug bag ?
Sounds sticky.

From the looks of the bag in the link anne posted, a Humbug Bag is
one that you sew together in a "normal" manner -- down one side, across
the bottom, up the other side. What makes it different is that, at the
top, you "fold" the side seams together and that the point where they
are sew together is the center point of your top closure. I made some
once as quickie little makeup bags and they are "quirky" but cute.
CiaoMeow ^;;^

--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Old November 15th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

says...

Now - do you have a pattern or willing to "show" me how???

http://www.onehourcraft.com/?p=321

--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old November 15th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 10:17:15 -0500, Tia Mary
opined:

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 08:17:57 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
opined:

I thought I had a link or pdf of how to construct a humbug bag. But I can't
find it. SO, I googled and googled and can't find either the link I had or a
decent pattern.

HELP - I need a quick and simple gift for a friend's b'day gift.....

Cheyrl

You are in need of help Cheyrl ! What on earth is a humbug bag ?
Sounds sticky.

From the looks of the bag in the link anne posted, a Humbug Bag is
one that you sew together in a "normal" manner -- down one side, across
the bottom, up the other side. What makes it different is that, at the
top, you "fold" the side seams together and that the point where they
are sew together is the center point of your top closure. I made some
once as quickie little makeup bags and they are "quirky" but cute.
CiaoMeow ^;;^

That is the shape of a humbug candy, hence the name.

Black and white striped aren't they?? Haven't seen them for several decades!

Gill
Old November 15th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

anne wrote:

says...

Now - do you have a pattern or willing to "show" me how???

http://www.onehourcraft.com/?p=321

Yep -- that's it :-). It was a lot of fun trying to get a zipper in
that top because the bags I saw had snaps or button & loop. I finally
used contrast zippers and just top stitched them to the outside of the
bag! It was still a P.I.T.A. until I thought to leave the bottom open
until I had the sipper on and then I just turned the bag inside out and
finished it. I also don't like the little handle at the bottom and put
it at the top.
Cheryl, you sew well enough that you probably don't really need a
pattern now that you have seen the paper bag. If you do still need
directions, let me know and I will send you something. CiaoMeow ^;;^

Old November 15th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 15:54:46 GMT, Gillian Murray
opined:

That is the shape of a humbug candy, hence the name.

Black and white striped aren't they?? Haven't seen them for several decades!

Gill

Should have had some while you were here, want me to send some ?

Thanks for the offer...however, if they are as hard as I remember, they
would probably chip the dentures!
Old November 16th 08, 12:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
cmg

On Nov 15, 7:58 am, Tia Mary wrote:
anne wrote:
[...]

I just looked through the tutorials. These are very cute. I happen
to be stitching
a fob that is put together the same way (no zipper, however).

I just wanted to remind folks that zippers by the yard are available!
With this
form of zipper, one is able to cut off the length of zipper desired
(say, after sewing
it in) and not waste the tail of the zipper. My local Beverly's has
carried them; I was
there today, but wasn't in the market for more, so didn't look.
They're not expensive,
but be sure to get enough pulls on the length you purchase. I've also
seen it where the
pulls are sold separately. This is a bit more of a pain as the pulls
then have to be put on.

Hope this helps - these bags seem to have lots of creative potential.

Christina

Humbug (triangle) Bag Boca Jan Quilting 4 January 14th 08 07:10 PM
Need help with pattern knitting directions for a tote DAB Yarn 1 August 1st 06 12:38 AM
bah humbug!!! anne Needlework 21 December 24th 05 06:48 PM
Humbug bag directions? Puffins Quilting 4 May 8th 05 03:22 PM
AD: New Auctions...Humbug! Dawn Scannell Beads 55 November 4th 04 02:34 PM