Another First

Old April 20th 05, 04:12 AM

Default Another First

Dear Diary,
Today I actually toured TSWLTH, a full frontal ten-finger digital
assault, and came out unscathed, wallet intact, having purchased
Nothing. Zip. Zero. Nada. This is a ground-shaking event, so I wanted
to record the happening for posterity.
I felt everything in the store--well, not everything; I think the
salesladies might have objected, and, besides, they weren't wearing any
interesting fabrics. Although, as a side note, I mention here that I
did accost a lady from Scotland this weekend, at a local craft show,
and she let me feel her silk quilted jacket. Light as duck down, it
was. Let your fingers do the walking.
A little amateur analysis is in order: have I reached a saturation
level? Does my fabric guilt= no room at the inn?
But what if I took my fabric guilt, divided it by the number of years
I have sewn professionally, multiplied that by the number of garments
constructed/furniture reupholstered/slipcovered, etcetera, etceterum,
(I knew latin would be useful some day),
then added to that sum the number of personal garments made for self
and family members. Would I then achieve a ratio permitting the
aquisition of more soft fiber consumables?
Hmmmm? Twiddling thumbs Perhaps my math needs revision...I believe
I forgot to deduct for estimated # of years left to sew. chews pencil,
same one used for tax filing There must be something wrong here;
according to these figures, I should have quit collecting 15 years ago.
Cea ruminating

Old April 20th 05, 05:12 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

Never, Cea!
To quit collecting is to quit living! By the way, did you see any black
lace fabric? For some strange reason, there seems to be no lace fabric in
this part of the world! My DD is graduating this year and has decided that
for her prom dress she wants an iridescent wine taffeta fabric overlaid with
black lace.....but there's no lace to be seen! I might end up phoning
across the country to Montreal......
Cynthia
oups.com...

Old April 20th 05, 10:33 PM

Cynthia Spilsted Apr 19, 9:12 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
From: "Cynthia Spilsted" - Find messages by this
author
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:12:29 -0700
Subject: Another First
original | Report Abuse

Never, Cea!
To quit collecting is to quit living! By the way, did you see any
black
lace fabric? For some strange reason, there seems to be no lace fabric
in
this part of the world! My DD is graduating this year and has decided
that
for her prom dress she wants an iridescent wine taffeta fabric overlaid
with
black lace.....but there's no lace to be seen! I might end up phoning
across the country to Montreal......
Cynthia
---
Why, yes, I did see black lace. Offhand, I cannot remember if it was
in the markdown section, or in regular bridals. I was looking for some
sheer stiff shimmery stuff to make tiny see-through jewelry bags, so I
eyeballed everything.
Check Joann's online to see if they have any listed. If you get
desperate, I can go back and check the price/ydg, and let you know
about shipping it to you.
Cea

Old April 20th 05, 10:53 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article .com, of
http://groups.google.com uttered
Why, yes, I did see black lace. Offhand, I cannot remember if it was
in the markdown section, or in regular bridals. I was looking for some
sheer stiff shimmery stuff to make tiny see-through jewelry bags, so I
eyeballed everything.
Check Joann's online to see if they have any listed. If you get
desperate, I can go back and check the price/ydg, and let you know
about shipping it to you.

I can get black lace in UK no prob. Also shot taffeta - silk or
polyester.
--

AJH
alpha dot hotel echo yankee whisky oscar oscar delta at tango echo
Old April 21st 05, 12:21 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

Lots of shot taffeta around here, far less bridal satin or satin crepe and
absolutely no lace fabric this year! Unfortunately, getting it sent from
you, Cea, would do me no good because of the international border (parcels
sometimes sit in customs for two weeks without moving!). I was just
wondering if it was a trend or just lack of stock in my corner of the world.
I guess that it is just our depressed economy creating the shortage. Drat
and double-drat!

As I curse the lack of fabric shops where I live, I do have to remind myself
that there is an upside: I think that we'll be having fresh pacific halibut
for supper tonight - that is if the fellows come home soon enough for
supper. (Otherwise, it'll be pasta deja vu!)
Cynthia

Old April 21st 05, 09:37 AM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , Cynthia Spilsted of uttered
Lots of shot taffeta around here, far less bridal satin or satin crepe
and absolutely no lace fabric this year!

I dream of the day that polyester crepe-backed satin disappears off the
face of the planet...

Old April 21st 05, 01:24 PM
Kate Dicey

She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild wrote:

In article , Cynthia Spilsted of uttered

Lots of shot taffeta around here, far less bridal satin or satin crepe
and absolutely no lace fabric this year!

I dream of the day that polyester crepe-backed satin disappears off the
face of the planet...

Evil stuff! OK if you don't have to sew seams on the straight grain,
but nasty whatever way you look at it! Mind you, it can look fantastic
under stage lights!

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old April 21st 05, 04:45 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

wrote in message
In article , Cynthia Spilsted of uttered
Lots of shot taffeta around here, far less bridal satin or satin crepe
and absolutely no lace fabric this year!

I dream of the day that polyester crepe-backed satin disappears off the
face of the planet...
--

AJH
alpha dot hotel echo yankee whisky oscar oscar delta at tango echo
sierra charlie oscar dot november echo tango

Why?
For many items, bridal satin is far too heavy, poly-silk has the wrong feel,
and either Chinese or Vietnamese lightweight silk is too light - and too
expensive. Just wondering, because I've sent one girl out expressly to buy
the satin/crepe (which also works well when wanting a matte to shiny combo).
Like most fabrics, it comes in a wide range of quality - but I have never
had any problems sewing with the stuff. Of course, anyone trying to
substitute it for regular satin or regular crepe will not get the desired
results.
Cynthia

Old April 21st 05, 04:51 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , Cynthia Spilsted of uttered
Why?
For many items, bridal satin is far too heavy, poly-silk has the wrong
feel, and either Chinese or Vietnamese lightweight silk is too light -
and too expensive. Just wondering, because I've sent one girl out
expressly to buy the satin/crepe (which also works well when wanting a
matte to shiny combo). Like most fabrics, it comes in a wide range of
quality - but I have never had any problems sewing with the stuff. Of
course, anyone trying to substitute it for regular satin or regular
crepe will not get the desired

Why? Because IMHO it is vile. It is far too bulky for fine seams. It
clicks/ marks as soon as you look at it, it frays like there's no
tomorrow, threads pull at the drop of a hat, you can't unpick and remake
a seam without it showing most of the time ... and has to be pinned
within and inch of its life to stop it shifting as you sew (and then it
clicks again)

I've just had to remake a bridesmaid dress twice because the kid
snagged it on a shoe buckle at the fitting - the garment won't be fit to
be seen 5 mins after the reception starts ... if not earlier ...

need I go on? Just the feel of the stuff sets my teeth on edge! It is
the work of the devil and should not be allowed to exist

Old April 21st 05, 08:20 PM
Sarah Dale

She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild wrote:
I've just had to remake a bridesmaid dress twice because the kid
snagged it on a shoe buckle at the fitting - the garment won't be fit to
be seen 5 mins after the reception starts ... if not earlier ...

I trust you are charging extra for this?!

Sarah