Brother sewing machines

Old February 3rd 04, 04:10 AM
G. Carlson

Default Brother sewing machines

My wife is looking for a new sewing machine. She finally gave up on
the Singer that we bought just after we were married 35 1/2 years ago.
I dropped it off at St. Vincent de Paul's last week after she spent a
frustrating day with it and told me "to get it out of the house." The
look in her eyes did not make it appropriate to suggest we should
again take it in to be serviced.

She says she doesn't want to buy anything expensive and is looking at
a used Brother XR-46c or XR-52c. She says she plans on using it for
simple hemming and mending, some work with window coverings, etc. She
wants something relatively portable with a case (hence the two
mentioned above).

We live out in the boonies of northern Wisconsin and there are NO
sewing machine dealers within 60 miles (okay, I know most of you are
probably women out there and I don't want you to get on my case
thinking I keep her locked up in the house and never take her anywhere
because we do get to the larger towns frequently, certainly at least
once a month when I get around to hooking the dogs up to the sled.).

Do any of you have any experience with either of these machines or
basically with the Brother brand?

Your help would certainly be appreciated.

Old February 3rd 04, 08:28 AM
Pat

I have a Brother 2002D and a Brother PC6000 and I absolutely LOVE both of
them. Bought them both on the internet...........couldn't be more pleased
with both. Have never had to have either one serviced, although I am
careful and clean them.............I am not affiliated in any
way..........just a happy customer.

Old February 3rd 04, 05:52 PM
TIZME

Well, I hate to be a "wet blanket", but my D-I-L had a Brother
machine, bought new and could never get the tensions right. Dealer
was no help either.
I have had two Brother combination embroidery machines and they were
not good either. Would not buy a Brother machine of anyt kind. Of
course, that is just me... Hate to see anybody buy one of these and
have the problems we had.
Good luck... TIZME

Old February 4th 04, 01:34 PM
Yarn Forward

My wife is looking for a new sewing machine. She finally gave up on
the Singer that we bought just after we were married 35 1/2 years ago.
I dropped it off at St. Vincent de Paul's last week after she spent a
frustrating day with it and told me "to get it out of the house." The
look in her eyes did not make it appropriate to suggest we should
again take it in to be serviced.

She says she doesn't want to buy anything expensive and is looking at
a used Brother XR-46c or XR-52c.

Why not spend a few extra dollars on a quality new machine, that will probably
last another 35 years, rather than a used one with an unknown history, that may
just cause even more frusration? Think of it as a long term investment.

Roger

--
Yarn Forward
Your On Line Yarn Store

Old February 4th 04, 05:54 PM

Chip's Mom wrote:

I have a Brother 8500 and I absolutely love it. I'm a very happy Brother
customer.

That's an electronic model, right? I believe the quality of the
electronic machines (who are made by somebody else, I forget who) is a
lot better than the quality of their low-end mechanical machines (who
are made by the cheapest bidder)

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
Old February 4th 04, 05:56 PM

Yarn Forward wrote:

Why not spend a few extra dollars on a quality new machine, that will
probably last another 35 years, rather than a used one with an unknown
history, that may just cause even more frusration? Think of it as a
long term investment.

Sometimes someone doesn't have $1000 to plunk down on a good brand-new
machine and they have to buy used.

Melinda, who would probably not buy either of the Brother machines the
original poster mentioned but would go with a 60s or 70s vintage machine
because most machines were better built in those days

Old February 4th 04, 06:05 PM
CW

Quite true. I wouldn't trade my 401 or 99k for any new (home) machine. If I
were to buy a new one, it would be an industrial.
"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message

Old February 5th 04, 02:40 AM
CW

Yep.

"IMS" wrote in message
Me, too! I have two 401s they are the best there is.

They can keep electronic/computerized...give me a basic yet powerful
machine that can do everything I need it to including fixing it
myself....

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:05:05 -0800, "CW"
wrote:

Quite true. I wouldn't trade my 401 or 99k for any new (home) machine. If I
were to buy a new one, it would be an industrial.
"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote

in
message
Melinda, who would probably not buy either of the Brother machines the
original poster mentioned but would go with a 60s or 70s vintage machine
because most machines were better built in those days

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Adult: A person who has stopped growing at both ends and is now growing in
the middle.