Got it !!!!!

Old February 8th 04, 04:07 AM
Ruth409028

Now. Would it be a welcome thing if I introduced myself & my
needlecraft history ?
--
Judy

By all means, feel free. Frances
Take Jacques out before replying.
Old February 8th 04, 11:30 AM
F.James Cripwell

Judy Rigby ) writes:
Well, thank you all very much. I feel most warmly welcomed here. Please
forgive me if I breach group etiquette, but being as I'm not sure what
it is as yet, I'm bound to commit some terrible gaffe before I'm done

Now. Would it be a welcome thing if I introduced myself & my
needlecraft history ?
--
Judy

I have not seen any other reply, so I hope I speak for most rctners.
We would love to have an introduction and needlecraft history. HTH.
--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old February 8th 04, 01:20 PM
Judy Rigby

Hello

I wasn't sure if we "did" introductions here, so here goes:

I live in north London UK, & work here as a complementary therapist. 2
"children" of 19 & 21, 2 cats of 15 & 16 and one garden all compete for
the time I could be spending stitching.

I was taught to embroider by my mother, & was turning out rather shaky
needle cases & similar before I started school. Also a variety of small
tent stitched tapestries of rather improbably coloured animals, the
first one apparently completed at age 5 if the parental note on the back
of it is to be believed. She tried me on dressmaking as well, but it
never gave me any joy and I don't currently possess a sewing machine. 7
years of needlework classes in convent school did very little to enhance
my skills (probably because I wasn't paying attention), so having failed
the examinations I carried on doing the work I enjoyed anyway. The
first embroidery pictures I did were the Anchor pair of bird pictures:
"Chen Yang" & "Kwang Tung" in 1976. Then (not in order) various designs
from Glorafilia including a set of 4 tapestry cushions & rug with roses,
a large crewel work reproduction of the embroidery on a Jacobean sewing
bag which I think came from either the Royal School of Needlework or the
Victoria & Albert museum, a perle silk picture of a Japanese girl
playing the samisen (using a variety of stitches on canvas) and various
other bits now lost in the mists of time.

I didn't discover counted cross stitch until about 5 years ago, when
there was an urgent need to produce a bookmark for someone. Since then I
haven't looked back & have been fairly prolific. Completed work
includes (I hope this is enough detail, but I don't always keep records
of designers & manufacturers):

"Venus" - this is a circular piece, about 12" across with turquoise &
violet predominant. I also did the companion piece "Chinese Goddess"
but don't recollect who produced the designs.

"The Mighty Samurai" Dimensions, James Himsworth

"Harmony" Serendipity, Carolyn Meacham

"Egyptian Picture" Anchor (I checked this one out & it's actually Isis
leading Queen Nefertari to the trials of the afterworld, taken from the
walls of the tomb of the latter)

There's also a sea horse using quite a bit of gold & copper metallic
thread & a months of the year with illustrations of seasonal flowers.

Last month I completed a small Hardanger heart & a Textiles Heritage
"Rose Chintz" needle case & scissor keep.

That's it, really Back to "Flower Power" (progress on *that* still
standing proudly at 12 stitches )

--
Judy
http://www.rigbys.demon.co.uk
Old February 8th 04, 03:06 PM
Peaches

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 19:25:18 +0000, Judy Rigby
wrote:

OK. This is definitively it. "Flower Power" is being worked on the 32ct
Belfast linen. Idea of floor frame abandoned in favour of doing it
piece by piece on the hoop. Fabric's the right size, a line of
tacking's been run east-west & north-south. Thereby locating centre. AND
close enough to the centre for counting is a bit in one of the colours
already in stock ... so the first 12 crosses are done !!! (*That* bit I
managed all by myself.)

Good for you! I worked the whole thing on 8" q-snaps and had no
problems. Used covered elastic ponytail holders to hold extra
fabric and put pieces of muslin under the snap parts to protect
the stitching.

One tip -- be careful with the symbols. There are some that are
very easy to confuse. IIRC some of these are in the daylillies,
which you're probably doing first if you're starting in the
center.

Keep us posted on your progress...

Peaches