FireHouse Angel (finishing)

Old September 12th 03, 04:36 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Default FireHouse Angel (finishing)

From: animaux

........ How about we stitch our names in the border and some other way to

write all
the
names of the dead? We can still use the navy blue card stock with the silver
pen idea in a frame on the back of the piece. That way, the actual names
won't
be a constant reminder to the men and women who survived, but their presence

by
name is honored in an auspicious way on the back of the piece. ............

Excellent idea! Now about our siggy border. I had been thinking that we
were gonna write them with a washable pen on regular fabric the way quilters do
-- thinking too much inside the box -- LOL! **Stitching** them on needlework
fabric is better! Once I get the needlework fabric, I will find an even weave
that coordinates nicely and would be good for a border. I will grid off areas
for all of us to stitch our names and send it along with the other stuff. Then
when I make that border, I will piece the "signed" needlework fabric with
something appropriate. How's that sound?? CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old September 12th 03, 05:18 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Ok. I made a rough "page" complete with Vic's requested brick.
I have tentative links to:
FAQ's
Participants
Picture Gallery
Progress Notes - which can include the history of how this evolved.

At the bottom of the page I say the following:
In commemoration of the honor, selflessness and devotion to their fellow
man as events unfolded in New York City on September 11, 2001.

With kind hearts and loving hands - the participants of the Usenet group
rec.crafts.textiles.needlework (RCTN)

Now, will those of you participating please let me know what to add,
subtract, re-word, etc. etc. I deliberately avoided the word "hero".
Others may feel differently. This ain't MY page, it's yours. I'm just
providing it. So, you don't have to pay any attention to what I'm
saying at all.

Two things to keep in mind: It's the FRONT page, so needs to be kept
simple and quick to download.

I NEED a title for the page that shows up on browsers. Right now, I
threw in "Firehouse Angel of the Morning"

The main title on the page is the same.

So please, all of you, indicate how you want this page named. I believe
in my heart that once this is "live", we'll get more interest. I'll
post a link on my front page.

As a follow up to someone's post in this thread: I just received a
lovely email from someone I've never met who thanked me for what I'm
doing on my site, etc. etc. Every once in awhile, one of these emails
come through and it keeps me going. So, with those feelings fresh in my
heart, I wanted to let everyone know that these kinds of endeavors can
have lasting meaning - not just for the recipients, but for those who
participated.

There was a lengthy discussion on NPR this morning about the U.S.'s loss
of a sense of community - gradually eroded since the 1950's for any
number of reasons. Late teens and twenty-somethings are really feeling
a disconnect, though they are forming some groups, but haphazardly. The
talk was about how to promote community. I've been saying it for a long
time, but RCTN is a huge community and has OFTEN gotten together to do
things in a positive way. Try to keep that in mind the next time a
discussion goes awry. grin

Dianne

Old September 13th 03, 12:49 AM
Gillian Murray

Vic,

It is obvious you are so excited about this. I think with your health
conditions, a focus such as this will be the greatest therapy, and it is
indeed a wonderful idea.

Now, may I very carefully ( without being scolded) suggest that rather than
answer each post individually as they arrive, maybe make a two-hourly
digest( or anything you want) response, just picking out the part of the
original post you responded to.

I really did get very lost with the 18 Victoria posts among the 30 I
received. I wasn't quite sure what each post responded to.

Just trying to make it run smoother!!

Gillian
I am rather like TM, I tend to organise; also to be honest ( not applicable
here) I prefer to run my own programs. So I understand where we all are.

"animaux" wrote in message
On 12 Sep 2003 15:36:31 GMT, ekoluvr (Tia Mary-remove
nekoluvr to reply ) opined:

Excellent idea! Now about our siggy border. I had been thinking

that we
were gonna write them with a washable pen on regular fabric the way

quilters do
-- thinking too much inside the box -- LOL! **Stitching** them on

needlework
fabric is better! Once I get the needlework fabric, I will find an even

weave
that coordinates nicely and would be good for a border. I will grid off

areas
for all of us to stitch our names and send it along with the other stuff.

Then
when I make that border, I will piece the "signed" needlework fabric with
something appropriate. How's that sound?? CiaoMeow ^;;^

You have a "go" from me. That sounds very good to me. I like a dark

fabric
with light lettering. Easier to notice and read.

Old September 13th 03, 02:13 AM
Sampler45

I think the ideas that have been posted are great. I know I don't post much,
but it doesn't mean that I'm not excited about this project.

Pat in NJ

FINISHED - Just Nan's "Silkwood Manor"
WIPs
Stoney Creek Afghan - "Nature's Homes"
Moira Blackburns "Three Things" Sampler

Old September 13th 03, 06:05 AM
Meredith

But Victoria, this is such a nicer topic than most of the stuff that's
been posted lately!

Meredith

animaux wrote:

Okay, and I did feel silly responding to so many things. I thought it would get
tired. That's why I decided to have a Daily post or posts where we don't
discuss. I, only as the hub (not the in charge person) would post updates and
answer questions or ideas or whatever else on a daily basis.

I don't know that I can have a daily digest with my newsreader.

I think we'll all settle in once we are under way. I did realize this was
difficult and overtaking to rctn. We'll settle down. Everyone is so excited we
want to say everything all at once!

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 23:49:39 GMT, "Gillian Murray"
opined:

Vic,

It is obvious you are so excited about this. I think with your health
conditions, a focus such as this will be the greatest therapy, and it is
indeed a wonderful idea.

Now, may I very carefully ( without being scolded) suggest that rather than
answer each post individually as they arrive, maybe make a two-hourly
digest( or anything you want) response, just picking out the part of the
original post you responded to.

I really did get very lost with the 18 Victoria posts among the 30 I
received. I wasn't quite sure what each post responded to.

Just trying to make it run smoother!!

Gillian
I am rather like TM, I tend to organise; also to be honest ( not applicable
here) I prefer to run my own programs. So I understand where we all are.

.. .

Old September 13th 03, 10:23 AM
Linda Moody

How many firefighters gave their lives at Ground Zero?

Exactly 343. The remains of the last one were buried on September 8, 2003.

Linda in Wappingers Falls
Old September 13th 03, 01:08 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I'll await Beth's answer for the "permission" and link question.
THEN: As soon as someone gives me Marilyn's "reason" I'll add that.
THEN: I'll make it LIVE.

Dianne

animaux wrote:
Dianne I love everything so far. Do you think we need Marilyn's permission to
name it Firehouse Angel of the Morning? It's not the same name, but it IS the
design. Beth...or anyone in The Garden, will you ask Marilyn if we can title
the page "Firehouse Angel of the Morning" if we put a link to her site?
Somewhere on the finished piece, on the back, will give her a credit for being
the designer. I think maybe we should also put the reason she give on her
website and how she didn't know what it was for, then the buildings, then she
knew. Did everyone read that on her site?

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:18:47 -0500, Dianne Lewandowski
opined:

Old September 13th 03, 02:41 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

You could Laminate the printed matter and attach it to the frame
,Including a mini photo of the work , thus in years to come if the
text gets loose of the work , it might be easy to make the contact .
mirjam

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 23:42:47 GMT, Peaches opined:

Hope you don't mind my butting in, but as someone who works in a
museum I know how easy it is for the story behind an object to be
lost. And as special as some of our objects are, they would be
even more important if we knew their complete stories.

I'd like to suggest that everyone involved contribute a page
explaining who they are, where they live, why they wanted to be
involved, etc., and that someone write up how this project got
started and completed. Then somehow attach the "story" to the
back of the frame, or inside the frame, or somehow make it hard
to get separated from the framed piece.

Peaches

EXCELLENT input, Peaches. I was asking my husband how I could put all these
posts in some type of order and then compile a beginning to end story. I also
love each of us telling something of who we are, what our spirituality is to
drive us to do things like this, our love of our craft, and what and where we
all live.

This is going to be an heirloom, and we have no idea how long this will be
around. When I watch the Antiques Road Show I'm amazed at how important it so
know something of the item or artifact.

I really hope I don't sound narcissistic, but I truly believe in a hundred years
this will still have it's place on that wall...hung low so they can see it every
day.

Old September 13th 03, 05:59 PM
Jenn Liace

wrote:

Ok. I made a rough "page" complete with Vic's requested brick.

Dianne

Dianne:

I like the title you've got, but if other people have suggestions I'd
be glad to compare =)

I saw the posts about waiting for Marilyn's permission (i'm glad I
actually read the thread before posting for a change!) and I think
this is an excellent idea. I don't necessarily want this page to turn
into an advertisement for TIAG (because our focus in doing this page
is as information for the project itself, at least IMHO) so I think
that information about how the Angel (the original design) came to be
and Marilyn's story need to be on an inner page, not on the home page.

I tend to agree on avoiding using "hero". I believe I'd read in
various news articles shortly after 9/11/01 that the police,
firefighters, etc. did not consider themselves heroes, just ordinary
people doing their jobs in what turned out to be extraordinary
circumstances.

Jenn L.
View My Webshots: http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
Current projects:
Chicago Skyline (The Needlecraftsman)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Old September 13th 03, 06:15 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Got it. Thank you.
Create a stir? Ah, let them whine.
We've got more important things to worry about. g Let those who would
stir the pot just roll their eyes and go on to the next post.
Dianne

animaux wrote:
This is what's posted on her website. I hope I don't start a stir for posting
it here.

"If I died tomorrow and this was the last Angel ever created under my hand, I
would be at peace. She was begun 3 years ago and was just another little face
and last summer she became an Angel. We couldn't understand her meaning and what
she was beseeching heaven for?????? When the towers fell the models were 80%
finished, so we all rushed her along because now we could see what she was
trying to tell us. She is searching into the heavens for an answer????? Her time
is now. Her face searches the morning light for relief from her darkness. Each
person who has seen or worked on her claims she is the perfect Angel for us all.
Her golden wings tipped with the white of morning light and her bluest gown
trailing into the night. Her hands uplifted, one hand is empty and open and her
right is full receiving the light. Everyone from the stitchers to the proofers
to the framers to the mailers to the printers to my wonderful staff has worked
at a breakneck speed because she is the one. I need medals for all of her
heroes. She was to be a December release and now she will be in the mail on
October 24."

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 07:08:07 -0500, Dianne Lewandowski
opined: