Hello and question for swimmers/hot-tubbers

Old December 18th 04, 10:52 PM
Shay

Default Hello and question for swimmers/hot-tubbers

This is my first post here, so first of all "Hello" to you all.

I have a question for anyone out there who wears their polymer jewelry
while swimming or hot tubing. I make polymer beads and have started
making some "surfer" jewelry for my friends, who are also willing
guinea pigs for my creations. It will be a while before I know the
long term effects that the ocean has on their jewelry. I would like to
know if anyone can suggest what is the best finish for beads that will
be worn in salt water and/or chlorinized water? I don't think the
varnish I use (future floor polish) will hold up to salt water or
chlorine in the long run.

Also, what kind of cording is the best to use. I don't like the look
or feel of hemp and would rather go the direction of leather cord.
Does anyone know how that holds up in salt water? I would be open to
alternatives if you have found something that works.
Thanks for any advice you can give me - Shay

Old December 19th 04, 02:11 AM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Leather will not hold up to sal****er, I can tell you that. Cotton or Hemp
cording, or a nylon alternative, would be the best.

Instead of applying a finish, try sanding/buffing to a high gloss.
Eventually, though, you'll get some pitting, etc. from chlorine or the
sal****er. I don't think it can be avoided.

Old December 19th 04, 05:31 AM
Kathy N-V

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:11:40 -0500, Barbara Forbes-Lyons wrote
(in message ):

Leather will not hold up to sal****er, I can tell you that. Cotton or Hemp
cording, or a nylon alternative, would be the best.

Instead of applying a finish, try sanding/buffing to a high gloss.
Eventually, though, you'll get some pitting, etc. from chlorine or the
sal****er. I don't think it can be avoided.

Waxed cotton (linen) or rubber will work, although the waxed cotton
will break down in a fairly short time. The rubber will last longer,
although I'd replace the cheap base metal hardware with stainless
steel wire.

I wish I could help with the polymer clay, though.

Old December 19th 04, 04:06 PM
Sjpolyclay

Hi there! Don't know how polymer holds up to chlorine or bromine in hot tubs,
but I can tell you it withstands sea water---I had surf buddies with beads, and
the hemp or leather cord decomposes before the beads. However, sal****er will
wear off finishes like fimolaquer, varathane, etc. The only longlasting finish
that holds through long wear in immersion is sanding and buffing.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old December 19th 04, 04:12 PM
PolyArtist

They make stuff to put on boats. Since some boats have plastic (fiberglas)
finishes, you might check with a marine shop to find a finish compatible with
plastic. I think I saw such a finish in the Micromark catalog. They sell
various things for model boats. http://www.micromark.com/

Of course, anything would have to be tested for awhile.

Susan
Old December 20th 04, 06:31 AM
Dawn >^..^

Hi Shay,
I agree with the other ladies here that the best finish is no finish at all.
Sand it real good, buff it, and let that clay shine! And the rubber Buna
cord is definitely the way to go. It's a great look for the surfer type
jewelry, and even comes in colors now. There's also a product called
Softglass that's a hollow rubber type tubing that comes in cool translucent
colors and connects with a little barb type thingy...(gotta love my
technical terms here) and there's no crimping. Just cut the tube to desired
length and connect with the barb.
If you do choose the solid rubber Buna cord, make sure you use either
stainless or brass crimp ends, the brass being more easily found and more
affordable.
Good luck and have fun!
--
Dawn
"Art Insomnia"
ups.com...

Old December 20th 04, 10:34 PM
Shay

Hello and thanks so much for all of your replies and helpful
suggestions. I am happy that the opinion is to sand, buff and shine
and skip the varnish. Some of the work I do with polymer looks really
good with a finish on it, but anything that is colorful seems to look
plastic once the varnish is on and that's not the look I want to
achieve.

Dawn - thank you for pointing me in the direction of Softglass. I
checked it out on line and it looks really cool - I also like the
little "barb thingy", nice and simple. Guess I will trek down to
Michael's to see if they have it in store.

Of course once again I am wondering if it would stand up to ocean
water. Would putting sea salt in my washing machine simulate the ocean
or ruin my washer? ;-)

Thanks again - Shay