cross stitching

Old March 14th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default cross stitching

hello, I'm new at all these crafts stuff and I recently just bought a
whole bunch of things to start my cross stitching but I need help on
actually starting it out. There are alot of "cross stich terms" in the
instructions that I can't understand. For example what is a french
knot and I the two threads are too fat to go through the hole. please
help!!!

Old March 14th 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

rhea wrote:

hello, I'm new at all these crafts stuff and I recently just bought a
whole bunch of things to start my cross stitching but I need help on
actually starting it out. There are alot of "cross stich terms" in the
instructions that I can't understand. For example what is a french
knot and I the two threads are too fat to go through the hole. please
help!!!

One of the best places to start will be Kathy Dyer's website
http://users.rcn.com/kdyer.dnai/. If Kathy's website doesn't have,
then she probably has a link to "it"!

Skyhooks
""aahhtt""
s b c g l o b a l
""ddoott""
n e t

P.S. If you see the term S.E.X. in this newsgroup (RCTN); it doesn't
mean what it implies -- it stands for "Stash Enhancement eXperience"
meaning any reason to shop for more needlework supplies g. Just be
sure to use the "dots" inbetween.
Old March 14th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Perhaps you might begin with some simple cross stitches and backstitch
to start with.
I'm not sure what you mean about the threads being too fat to fit
through the hole. If you're using stranded cotton, you need to separate
it into strands before you stitch with it, not use the whole six strand
hunk at once.
A french knot is a small, decorative knot formed by twisting the thread
about the needle that leaves a small (hopefully tidy) knot on the top
of the fabric. Useful for eyes in animals/people on a pattern and
provides texture to a project.

Old March 14th 06, 09:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Welcome into the craft world .
A french knot is made by pulling your thread through the cloth looping
the thread several times around the needle pulling the the
needle+thread through the loops and pushing the needle back into the
cloth quite near the first place it came out from the cloth .
French knots .
If you Xst as on Canvas , i may advice not to make the french knot
before practising it a bit on softer cloth .
You erite 2 threads ?? are you meaning a regulat One Thread that you
folded into the needle and hence you have 2 threads ... or do you have
a Moline thread that is made of 6 seprate threads which you can use
either as i or 2 or 3 or ,,,, as you wish and need ?
mirjam

Old March 14th 06, 10:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Fey" wrote in message
ups.com...
Perhaps you might begin with some simple cross stitches and backstitch
to start with.
I'm not sure what you mean about the threads being too fat to fit
through the hole. If you're using stranded cotton, you need to separate
it into strands before you stitch with it, not use the whole six strand
hunk at once.
A french knot is a small, decorative knot formed by twisting the thread
about the needle that leaves a small (hopefully tidy) knot on the top
of the fabric. Useful for eyes in animals/people on a pattern and
provides texture to a project.

Or if you find the French Knot too daunting to begin with, you can always
use a tiny "seed bead" instead! You may well need to use a finer needle for
that - maybe a beading needle.

Pat P

Old March 14th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"rhea" wrote in message
oups.com...
hello, I'm new at all these crafts stuff and I recently just bought a
whole bunch of things to start my cross stitching but I need help on
actually starting it out. There are alot of "cross stich terms" in the
instructions that I can't understand. For example what is a french
knot and I the two threads are too fat to go through the hole. please
help!!!

Victoria Sampler has some great animations that may help you. Under surface
stitches, you will find "Cross stitch Danish" and "French knot stitch" They
do assume that you are working on an even weave fabric, but if you are using
aida (the fabric that is woven into squares) then treat each pair of thread
in the animations as one square on aida.
Addie

Old March 14th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Try not to get too confounded. Reading all the directions at first can
be scarey. It's good to do that to get familiar, but don't let it
distract you from beginning your project. Simply take things one at a time.

A French knot is simply an embroidery stitch which is used in many
different types of embroidery. It's not specific to cross stitch. If
your instructions don't include a diagram, please post and we'll refer
you to one on the Internet.

In order to help you with how many strands of thread to use, we need to
know what fabric you are using and it's count (how many threads to the
inch). Two strands of thread is a typical number to use.

Dianne

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com