Question about the Janome 6600

Old September 10th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carissa

Default Question about the Janome 6600

Hello,

I am sooo very close to buying this machine. I really really really want it
lol. But Before I spend all those $$ I want to hear from some owners? Do
you love it? Why? If not why? Also, I on the rarest of occasions, make
clothes for my daughter (she is the only one still young enough to
appreciate hand made clothes... or maybe its just that I am not very good
lol) Anyhow, the sale people all rave about how wonderful it is for
quilting as well as other sewing, but it doesnt seem to have the part that
detaches for sleeves. Does it? Will I miss it if it doesnt? I do make
boxers for my three boys and find that a useful function on my basic
machine. I could keep my basic machine for that feature,( a detachable free
arm I think it is called) but the shop is willing to take it in trade so....
What should I do? Follow my impulsive needs or???? help me please
Thank you

Carissa

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/Elywyn
Butterflies are not insects, they are

Old September 10th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kiteflyer

I love mine. I like the knee lift and the larger throat and presser
foot height. It feed nice and stitches beautifully. Stitching sleeves
is probably tough as I don't consider it to have a detachable free arm.
I do love mine though and I use it a lot!

Denny in Fort Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/kiteflyer54

/\
/ \
/ \
\ /
\ /
\/
\
\
/
\
\
/
\

Old September 10th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Mine isn't the 6600, Carissa, so I won't comment on that question (mine
is the 6500 and I love it!).
However, I do suggest you keep your existing machine, for taking to
classes or workshops if need be (these big Janomes are *heavy*) and also
for the free arm feature. I traded my previous machine in for the 6500,
without considering the need for that; and, in the end, I had to buy an
inexpensive machine to give me back-up, portability and a free arm
feature.
..
In message hbdFi.32054$Pd4.537@edtnps82, Carissa
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 10th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Another quilter/sewist madly in love with the 6600. I absolutely love all
the special features- this machine truly *is* made for the quilter. It sews
a lovely stitch (and has a very nice selection of built-in stitches), the
extra area under the arm is wonderful, the Accu-Feed to replace the walking
foot is a marvelous convenience (I use mine for all sewing except my free
motion quilting)- the 1/4 in. foot is great for piecing in conjunction with
the Accu-Feed). The separate motor for winding bobbins is very nice and the
thread holders are great! One tip- the 1/4 in. foot for the Accu-Feed as
well as the other Accu-Feed feet are quite expensive. I made my best deal
and then insisted that the dealer throw in the 1/4. in. foot, the ruffler
foot and the open toe foot at no additional cost to me. The machine comes
with a nice selection of feet but the feet for use with the Accu-Feed are
additional.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

.

Old September 10th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

I've had mine for over a year now.

I do love it. I LOVE the knee lift and I find my right leg moving to
lift the presser foot when sewing on other machines and nothing happens.
:-) The extra harp space is so nice for machine quilting. I really
like the autofeed - particularly the open toe foot for machine quilting
straight lines as you can really see where you're going. No more
puckers either.

It does not have a free arm. However, there are sewing tricks to do
armholes and hems on a flat bed machine; after all, that's how the pros
do it. I don't do a lot of garment sewing but lack of a free arm hasn't
been an issue I can hem a sleeve either way.

There is a yahoo group for 6500/6600 owners. You can ask around there.
Also, there is an old discussion in the archives on sewing techniques
for garments on a flat bed.

It is nice to have a smaller machine to lug to classes. So, if you are
a class taking girl you might want to consider keeping your old machine
or saving for a smaller more portable machine for the future.

marcella

Old September 10th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

KEEP your old machine. Even if you never, ever sew another stitch on it.
Having a back-up usually will prevent needing one. There might come a day
when a friend or little one will want to sew with you. If you don't have
room for two, toss your shoes out and use the closet space for the back-up.
You don't really want to wear shoes anyway. Polly

Old September 10th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
KEEP your old machine. Even if you never, ever sew another stitch on it.
Having a back-up usually will prevent needing one. There might come a day
when a friend or little one will want to sew with you. If you don't have
room for two, toss your shoes out and use the closet space for the

back-up.

You don't really want to wear shoes anyway. Polly

See, that's what I said about clothes, but the average person on the street
didn't agree with me. :-)
Keep America beautiful! Keep Connie's clothes ON! :-)

Old September 10th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Patti wrote:
[...]

Mine's the 6500 (last year's model?)too, but I kept my old machine - a
more basic Janome with a free arm. Glad I did because I have to alter a
pair of DH's trousers and they have a piece of extra tape around the
inside of the leg bottoms which will need reattaching with the free arm.

I just don't move my 6500 - too heavy and too afraid of damaging it, so
the old machine is proving really useful for classes, etc.

What I 'specially like about my 6500 - nice and quiet so I can hear over
it; big harp so easier quilting - I bless it every time I use it; the
knee lift which I forgot to attach this morning and then found my knee
waving around trying to operate the 'lift'; the needle up-down facility
and the fact that the needle can be put in different positions to the
left or right; separate section for bobbin widing; all the stitches - I
now embroider my quilt labels, and the fact that it is so solid.

Not biased really!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old September 10th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carissa

Well my mind is made up lol thank you to everyone I wish I could ask
for the foot to be thrown in but.... if I tried that I am sure they would
convince me I wanted to spend an extra $200 with no feet lol... I am NOT a
barginer. Oh well it is on a good sale right now. My other machine is a
Janome as well, a decor 5018, and I feel bad because I have so many feet for
it, including the extra expensive walking foot They have a used 6500 in
the store for super cheap and I am wondering if I really need the accu feed
thing. I rarely remeber to put my walking foot on that I paid for, never
mind a free one lol. I read the reviews on pattern reviews.com and did se
ethe yahoo group, but I dont "know" those folks I figured my last
opinion on the subject should be you folks that I know wouldnt steer me
wrong (except maybe that shoes thing... I do live in BC Canada afater all...
land of rain and snow and no sunshine lol) If all goes well, (after I
argue with my credit card) I will own a new machine tomarrow

Carissa

Old September 10th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Carissa wrote:
[...]

I found the Yahoo group really useful for 'handy hints' when I first had
my 6500 - lots of useful info about settings - tension etc.,
particularly in the Files section.

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Janome question Pami Quilting 3 July 13th 07 12:27 AM
Janome 6600 Sparky Quilting 18 August 30th 06 08:49 PM
Janome 6600 Marcella Peek Quilting 2 August 30th 06 05:21 PM
OT (mostly) - Janome 6600 List Rita in MA Quilting 2 July 21st 06 12:39 AM
Janome question John Freese Quilting 8 September 9th 03 08:42 PM