janome machine tension control broken + quilting machine suggestions

Old May 22nd 05, 08:56 PM
Frank & Renee

Default janome machine tension control broken + quilting machine suggestions

Hi,

I have a Janome Harmony machine that was purchased two years ago and then
wasn't used until this last February. I didn't have a sewing room set up
until February and since then I have been learning quilting and have used my
machine every day since the first week in March. Lately I've been using
Coats & Clark monofilament thread .004 for freemotion quilting on a wall
hanging. I believe that yesterday or the day before the tension disks
latched on too tightly to the thread and I had some trouble unlocking it.
After I got the thread out I didn't notice any problems. Today I
re-threaded the machine with cotton for a different project, made all the
appropriate changes, and started working on freemotion stippling with a test
quilt sandwich. I keep track of all my settings for tension, etc., on index
cards and I found that the tension I chose wasn't working. I kept adjusting
the tension until I realized that at the highest number on the dial, there
was no change. I looked at the disks and they were open rather than close
on the thread. Playing with the dial while watching the disks revealed that
they weren't moving. There appears to be a spring that I can see the end of
between the disks and I'm afraid that it has snapped.

There are no dealers open in my area today so I thought I would ask if
anyone else has had this problem. I have an extended warranty on this
machine through Sears. I will be sending it off for repair but both I and
my husband feel that the amount of use I've had out of this machine (2 1/2
months of steady sewing) indicates that this one is not the work-horse I'll
need. I've only made small projects and nothing bigger than 25x26 inches.

I'm thinking about a Bernina quilting machine but I don't know how much they
are. Does anyone have any suggestions for a machine or has had a similar
experience with a Janome machine?

Thanks!

Renee

Old May 22nd 05, 09:49 PM
Sandy Foster

In article yt5ke.7186$BF5.6616@trndny06,
"Frank & Renee" wrote:

I'm thinking about a Bernina quilting machine but I don't know how much they
are. Does anyone have any suggestions for a machine or has had a similar
experience with a Janome machine?

First of all, I really hope your repair is much simpler than expected
and that your new machine is really not as short-lived as that. However,
if you're thinking of getting a Bernina, I'd say you'll be delighted
with it! I know I have been with both of mine. I used to have a 1260QPE,
but I recently sold it to help finance the new 440QE with the stitch
regulator -- and I'm in love! g I could never do without a knee lift
(though I know several brands now have them), and Bernina feet are
marvelous to use. Best of luck, whatever you decide!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

For Sale: Janome / Kenmore Sewing & EMBROIDERY Machine 19001 w/ Reader / Writer box SewFunSewCrazy Sewing 14 May 3rd 20 03:00 AM
Machine Quilting Set-Ups frood Quilting 20 December 5th 04 10:31 PM
beginning machine quilting Patti Quilting 10 August 22nd 04 12:33 AM
FAQs for RCTQ Diana Curtis Quilting 17 April 2nd 04 07:59 PM
Kinds of quilting pins; how to pin; stitch in the ditch machine quilting; fancy designs Beth Pierce Quilting 10 February 25th 04 11:23 PM