How do I sew insulated drapes

Old August 21st 03, 04:39 AM
Carolyn Wagner

Default How do I sew insulated drapes

Hi. I've been looking for tab top insulated drapes for several months now
and have decided the only way to get what I want is to make them. Only I am
not sure how to do that! I have made curtains before but nothing lined or
insulated. Can anyone help give me some tips or direct me to a good how-to
site or book? I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!
Carolyn Wagner

Old August 21st 03, 04:55 AM
Pat

You can buy the insulated drape fabric............Have not heard of anyone
adding insulation to fabric though.........

Old August 21st 03, 08:34 AM
Kate Dicey

Pat wrote:

You can buy the insulated drape fabric............Have not heard of anyone
adding insulation to fabric though.........

"Carolyn Wagner" wrote in message
Hi. I've been looking for tab top insulated drapes for several months now
and have decided the only way to get what I want is to make them. Only I

am
not sure how to do that! I have made curtains before but nothing lined or
insulated. Can anyone help give me some tips or direct me to a good how-to
site or book? I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!
Carolyn Wagner

You can do that too! There are two ways...

1. Buy thermal lining: it's cream, and has a slightly thick, rubbery
feeling to one side. This goes in the middle of the curtain, facing the
fabric. It also comes as a blackout version, which is still cream in
colour, but admits no light.

2. By putting a 'bump' interlining into the curtains. You sew the
outer fabric seams, and any needed in the 'bump' - a thick, fluffy loose
weave cotton made just for this purpose. Then you catch the two
together in lines down the curtain, being careful not to let the
stitching show on the outside. You can then sew the two fabrics as one
when you make up the curtains and line them. You DO need to line bum
interlined curtains. They will be VERY heavy and thicker to sew, so not
a job you want to tackle with a light weight machine! Also, make sure
you have the fabric well supported as you sew. If it falls off the
table, it can drag the machine with it! I helped a friend to this last
new year, with her 15 ft long silk curtains for the dining and drawing
rooms. Very spectacular, utterly beautiful (an old gold and blue shot
silk dupion that looks purple in the folds). We followed the method
given in Caroline Wrey's book: The Complete Book of Curtains and Drapes
by Lady Caroline Wrey, ISBN 0-7126-4697-3. (London, Ebury Press, 1991).

The second method is the traditional method still used by bespoke
curtain makers. It takes time, but gives the curtains a richer look.
Not something you want to do unless you are giving your curtains a vary
plain top: works best with a 3" pencil pleat tape or with hand sewn
goblet tops. Because of the extra bulk, the fabric won't pull up as
tight as with 'ordinary' curtains, and you may well need a bigger
stack-back area (this is the area of wall and curtain pole beyond the
window, where the curtain is 'stacked' when open). Also works best with
bigger windows. My windows are quite small (I live in a cottage built
in 1928), and I used the thermal blackout lining for the curtains you
can see on my web site on the Dining Room project page and the 4 poster
bed page.

I learned all this from the lady next door, who manages a posh bespoke
curtain shop. She lent Caroline Wrey's book to me when I needed some
information.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old August 21st 03, 04:22 PM
Pat

I stand corrected!!! Am not familiar with the separate insulated
fabric............very interesting!!!

Old August 21st 03, 06:42 PM
aeromom

See, that is one reason I love reading this ng. We learn a lot of new things
and we aren't ashamed to say I didn't know that!
You guys are cool.
aeromom

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Pat wrote:

[...]

New drapes arrived. 1/2 OT Susan Laity Price Quilting 4 October 20th 04 12:38 AM
OT-Happy Dance - Drapes are Done! Carolyn Wagner Needlework 1 February 11th 04 07:16 PM
Canopy Bed Drapes? KittyG Quilting 18 December 1st 03 09:26 PM
Canopy bed drapes. CHARLES MURPHY Quilting 0 December 1st 03 01:57 PM