Sculpey Eraser Clay - one year later

Old October 20th 03, 03:01 AM
Irwin

Default Sculpey Eraser Clay - one year later

A year ago, I asked whether anyone knew about the durability of
Sculpey Eraser Clay. I wanted to use it as the bottom of my boxes
because it is somewhat spongy rather than hard.

Well.... I never did formal testing of the material, but recently I
did find out the suitability of trhe material for my purposes.

Last year I had made some erasers for some pencils. A few days ago, I
took one of those pencils and found it fused to the varnish of another
pencil. I don't know how long the eraser was touching the pencil - and
I don't really care - but it is obvious that you don't want Eraser
Clay in contact with fine furniture!

I'm sure I baked the erasers properly. My guess is that the reason
that the eraser clay stays soft and spongy is that it has extra
plasticizers- the stuff in polymer clay that manufactures have to
warn about not putting raw clay on furniture - so that to some degree,
it nevers really fully cures.

I guess the only thing Eraser Clay is good for is..... erasers!

--- Irwin

P.S. Anyone have experience with Elasticlay? I'm wondering whether
that also has plasticizers that don't full disappear and may interact
with everyday material, e.g., furniture finishes.
Old October 20th 03, 05:45 AM

Irwin wrote:
[...]

Very timely on your part- just today I opened up the package
of eraser clay I had bought many moons ago and created my first
eraser! I ran out of time, so I didn't get it baked yet, but thanks to
your post, I will be very careful with my finished results!

Thanks to you, I know better than to leave it on my prized roll-
top desk!! Yikes! I'd die if I ruined the surface on this. (Thanks to
a flat-panel monitor, it's now my computer desk.)

Thank you, Irwin! I would have been careful with the RAW clay,
but wouldn't have been too concerned once it was baked.

--
^,,^ Miracle

(My older stuff is he
http://mycraftyphotos.homestead.com/index.html )

Old October 20th 03, 04:17 PM
Sjpolyclay

P.S. Anyone have experience with Elasticlay? I'm wondering whether
that also has plasticizers that don't full disappear and may interact
with everyday material, e.g., furniture finishes.

Hi Irwin!
Thanks for the info on the eraser clay. I think you are spot-on about the
plasticisers.

I have Elasticlay from over the last twelve years' use, (and I may have this
result because of the last eight spent in high altitude and low humidity--) all
my elasticlay molds are VERY dry, very hard, and many have fine cracks. Many
also have a bubbly sort of "bloom" on the surface, a roughened texture that was
NOT there originally. All were baked according to directions, all were OK
(flexible) at first.Many were used heavily, some not at all, all show this
dried-out quality; so I don't think its because of reactions with raw clays.
And all are VERY hard. I have switched to using Miracle Mold RTV for casting
molds.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old October 21st 03, 09:06 PM
lukabara

Irwin wrote:
A year ago, I asked whether anyone knew about the durability of
Sculpey Eraser Clay. I wanted to use it as the bottom of my boxes
because it is somewhat spongy rather than hard.

I guess the only thing Eraser Clay is good for is..... erasers!

I bought the Eraser Clay for my kids. We had fun playing with it,
but I'd say it's not even good for erasers. Cracks, splits, and
pretty much crumbles. Or maybe my oven was to blame?
The colors were pretty though. :-)

aLisa
http://www.freewebs.com/lukabara/treasuresforsale

Poly Clay/ wicked Candace Stephanie Beads 49 September 12th 04 03:07 AM
Mixing Clay brands Emily Polymer Clay 7 October 16th 03 03:57 PM
Makins and La Doll & other stone ground mineral clays?? DianeGlassAttic Polymer Clay 0 October 13th 03 06:21 PM
Modeling clay as a substitute for "clay bars" for auto detailing? Jon Noring Polymer Clay 4 September 23rd 03 12:36 AM
Could "Sculpey" poly clay form part of a waterblock? Ken Maltby Polymer Clay 1 August 13th 03 01:48 PM