BEST rotary blades?

Old July 31st 12, 01:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
deschuit

Default BEST rotary blades?

On 7/30/2012 9:40 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
Harbor Freight? Carpet cutting? What a neat idea. I absolutely have to
be removed from that store. Not exactly a big spender in there but it
is such fun to just see all the cool stuff. Polly

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
Several years ago I happened to go to Harbor Freight when they were
having a HUGE sale and bought every one of their carpet cutting blades.
I have enough carpet rotary blades for several lifetimes- and I'm still
using the ones I bought from Hancock's! I'd be honored to send you a
package of the HF blades to try them out. Otherwise, my sons will be
selling them for a penny on the 75% off dollar when I'm gone..... LOL

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

On Sunday, July 29, 2012 9:59:20 PM UTC-5, Polly Esther wrote:
I am down to my very last pack of 45 rotary blades. A scary situation.
It's been a year, maybe two since we hunted down the best buy; seems
like we found it on ebay. As you would expect, I've changed my mind.
This time, I don't want cheapest; would like to try what's best. By
best I may mean cuts through more layers and/or lasts longer. On a
scale of: dazzling, pretty good and ho-hum - what are you using and
how do you rate them? Polly

Wow, you guys are amazing. Never heard of Harbor Freight. Went to
their website and there is one not 20 minutes down the road from me in
sales tax free NH. Going to go there and check them out.
Old July 31st 12, 03:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

When you go, do schedule enough time to enjoy the whole store. You probably
won't need a gel-cooled tractor seat but I did find some precious blinky
lights for Yogi's night time important business walk collar and a thing to
convert our flashlights from standard to LED. Polly

"deschuit"

Old July 31st 12, 03:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Kate, I would be afraid to even try one. When I was very small, I was
sliced from wrist to elbow by a window pane falling out and crashing on me.
I approach rotary blade handling with about the same caution Mr. Esther uses
when a snake is invading the yard. ( He usually waits until an adult
identifies and tends to the problem.) Polly

"Kate T."
Have you thought of buying a blade sharpener. I got one from the Grace
Company and no its not like the old blade sharpeners. Its called Tru-Cut.
I got it through Allbrands. So far it works well. I am still on the same
blade after sharpening it 3 times. Not affilated with either company just a
satisified customer.

Old July 31st 12, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Maybe it's time to write a codicil ( is that the word? sounds important.) to
our wills. I don't give a happy hoot what our offspring do with grandma's
silver but it would be so awful if my good stuff was bought by an estate
dealer to buy for 1 cent and sell for big bucks. I don't mind them making a
honest dollar but - please - not with my treasures. Polly

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." ...

Old July 31st 12, 03:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

SCORE ! maybe even Touchdown. I found the Dritz Kai blades for $ 2.12
each. I admit it took quite a bit of hunting but it makes me happy to have
a stack of new blades on hand. We do want me to be happy. It's like having
a new little box of 100 quilting sm needles. Here in The Swamp there is
just no such thing as running to the store. Unless you have a need for hawg
feed, of course. Polly

Old July 31st 12, 04:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Well I've never run over a pin BUT I have some really dull blades, the kind that skips as it cuts, well I used the grinding stones that are rough, first, then I used the finer stones to finish off the blades. In a couple of minutes I had sharp blades again. Grace Company has a video on their website to demo the sharpener. They list the bundle of the sharpener along with a rotary cutter for 89 dollars. I ordered just the sharpener from Albrands for what 53 and change plus shipping and it came to about 66 dollars. It works better than anything I've tried before.

Kate T. South Mississippi