BEST rotary blades?

Old July 30th 12, 03:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default BEST rotary blades?

I am down to my very last pack of 45 rotary blades. A scary situation. It's
been a year, maybe two since we hunted down the best buy; seems like we
found it on ebay. As you would expect, I've changed my mind. This time, I
don't want cheapest; would like to try what's best. By best I may mean cuts
through more layers and/or lasts longer. On a scale of: dazzling, pretty
good and ho-hum - what are you using and how do you rate them? Polly

Old July 30th 12, 04:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Hey Ginger, Have you had any bad blades? Some of the HF blades one of my
pals got were
bad. Just cut terrible. Weird because the ones they got initially were
great.
Hopefully that was just an odd deal with a few bad blades.
Taria

Old July 30th 12, 05:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Several years ago I happened to go to Harbor Freight when they were having a HUGE sale and bought every one of their carpet cutting blades. I have enough carpet rotary blades for several lifetimes- and I'm still using the ones I bought from Hancock's! I'd be honored to send you a package of the HF blades to try them out. Otherwise, my sons will be selling them for a penny on the 75% off dollar when I'm gone..... LOL

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old July 30th 12, 02:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Harbor Freight? Carpet cutting? What a neat idea. I absolutely have to be
removed from that store. Not exactly a big spender in there but it is such
fun to just see all the cool stuff. Polly

Old July 30th 12, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

I stick with the name brands (Olfa or Fiskars) and buy them in
packages of five with a 40%
off coupon at JoAnn's. I use mainly the 44 mm and save the 65 mm for
extreme multiple layers. No matter the quality of the blade if you
hit a pin or edge of the ruler there will be a nick in the blade that
creates a skip ever after. Some gals treat themselves with a new hat
or diamond jewels. I put a new blade in the rotary cutter and feel
like a queen.

Susan

Old July 30th 12, 09:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On Sunday, July 29, 2012 10:59:20 PM UTC-4, Polly Esther wrote:
I am down to my very last pack of 45 rotary blades. A scary situation. It's

been a year, maybe two since we hunted down the best buy; seems like we

found it on ebay. As you would expect, I've changed my mind. This time, I

don't want cheapest; would like to try what's best. By best I may mean cuts

through more layers and/or lasts longer. On a scale of: dazzling, pretty

good and ho-hum - what are you using and how do you rate them? Polly

Polly--

I bought an industrial-type cutter at a local hardware store. It's called 'Zip snip', 'heavy-duty, self-sharpening cordless cutter', and it is the coolest thing to use. (no affil.)I think I paid about $30--$35.00 US for it.. It's got a lithium battery and a plug-in charger.It's made with a little shield that slides between blade and table, so the fabric lifts into the cutting area. I haven't tried it on small cuts, but for multiple thicknesses, lonc runs of cuts, or heavy-duty fabrics, it's great. I was tearing my hands up trying to make cuts on old moving blankets, which have a lot of felt-like stuff sandwiched between two layers.
I have a feeling the blade will out-last many a box of rotary cutters.
Cea
Old July 30th 12, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

Polly, have you tried Kai blades? They're sold as Dritz in Joanns, and
I really prefer them. You can also buy them as Kai. http://www.kaiscissors.com/category.php?category_id=51 http://www.joann.com/dritz-pressure-...-45mm/prd2763/
Old July 30th 12, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Have you thought of buying a blade sharpener. I got one from the Grace Company and no its not like the old blade sharpeners. Its called Tru-Cut. I got it through Allbrands. So far it works well. I am still on the same blade after sharpening it 3 times. Not affilated with either company just a satisified customer.
Old July 31st 12, 12:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Kate, does the Tru-Cut "sharpen" out nicks in the rotary blade or are they just a total loss when you run over a pin?