Oh, Snap!

Old June 2nd 11, 05:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nancy

Default Oh, Snap!

Hi everyone, just got back from my local walmart where I was informed
that "corporate" wants to eliminate all or most of the craft
department. I shop for fabric there as well as at joann, quilt shops,
and online. While some people turn their noses up at anything but
designer fabric, it is possible to find premium quality yardage and
precuts at walmart at a great price, tonite i got a 7 piece fat
quarter bundle of mary engelbreit prints for $10.97, best bargain I've
gotten in a long time! The fabric is gorgeous and meets my super
picky standards. Who isn't on a budget these days and doesn't love to
get a good deal? I was told to call 1.800.walmart to voice my
objection to their plan to eliminate the craft dept and I plan to do
so as soon as I post this. If enough people object maybe they will
reconsider. Let's use our power as consumers to let them know we will
take ALL our business elsewhere, especially those younger families
with children, teens, etc. Please spread the word and maybe we can
stop this from happening, who's with me?

Old June 2nd 11, 08:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Hey nancy

Well I hope you can accomplish what the rest of us have not. Walmart
started closing the fabric and crafts dept several years ago. I used
to go there and buy all my patterns for dressmaking. Now you can't
find a decent spool of thread anymore. If you are into scrapbooking
then you can shop at Walmart, anything else like knitting, crochet,
cross stitch, jewelrymaking, cake decorating, flower arrangements,
etc. are not in the new stores. Try to find an iron that won't burn
up in 30 minutes, rotary blades, sewing needles, rotary cutters,
scissors for fabric, a damned thimble or a button. As far as Walmart
is concerned we "domestics" are a part of history.

Kate T. South Mississippi
Old June 2nd 11, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 21:38:12 -0700 (PDT), nancy
wrote:

[...]

Interesting - One of our two local Walmart's kept the fabric
department (even expanded it) when they morphed into a Super Center
and the other one now says they want to bring the fabric department
back!

-Irene
Old June 2nd 11, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Linda[_4_]

Just curious: do the cashiers at your Walmart say hello or acknowledge your
presence in any way? Those at our local Walmart are apparently trained to
not speak to the customers.
Linda

Old June 2nd 11, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I've noticed and regard it as a personal challenge. They will speak to me
or else I'll die trying. I either get a smile out of them or their face
cracks. One or the other. Polly

"Linda" wrote Just curious: do the cashiers at your Walmart say hello

Old June 2nd 11, 06:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

"nancy" wrote in message
[...]

The WalMart cashiers always speak to me. Our store has one isle of
prepackaged fleece or other cloth of maybe 2 yards. There is a small rack
of the easy patterns---maybe 18. We have a small section of Coats & Clark
thread. It also has a very few of the Singer SMs, maybe 4 or 5.
There are also a few rolls of the 2 inch' wide rolls of quilting material.
So sad I must drive more than 10 miles to a Hancock's or Hobby Lobby. Other
cloth stores are even further.
Barbara in SC

Old June 2nd 11, 08:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nancy

On Jun 2, 10:06*am, "Linda" wrote:
[...]

Hi Linda,
Honestly, most of the people who work at the store I frequent seem to
be under the influence of some kind of controlled substance or barely
literate. I had not shopped at wm since before last christmas due to
the lack of cust svc and other reasons, but I am a fabric addict with
a super limited budget at the moment, so I thought I would pop in to
see what they had on sale. The craft area had stuff piled into
baskets on a cart and had been totally rearranged since the last time
I had been there so I asked the clerk what was happening and got the
scoop. Anyway, to get back to your question, it seems that most of
the employees that I have come into contact with there are stepford
escapees or recently released prisoners, not to be mean, just sayin
that's the impression I get
Old June 2nd 11, 09:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

WOW, I guess we're really lucky. At our Walmart the clerks and cashiers go
out of the way to help. Everyone in the store is very friendly, which makes
shopping there very pleasant.
Gen

Old June 2nd 11, 10:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise In Iowa

I've had the same good experience at ours. The people are friendly and
extremely helpful. Maybe it's just the Midwestern way!

Louise in Iowa
http://community.webshots.com/user/LouiseinIowa
nieland1390@mchsidotcom

snap bags Lelandite Quilting 3 May 1st 10 04:57 PM
Any idea where to find snap set or snap tite settings for wirework? April Beads 2 April 2nd 09 12:03 AM
snap-tite or snap set settings..... Band Mommy Beads 0 February 27th 09 06:52 PM
Snap Castings Mike Jewelry 3 August 14th 08 11:06 AM
Snap tape Karen Maslowski Sewing 49 October 3rd 04 01:58 PM